Rocky

Guest KennelMom

Blastomycosis and histoplasmosis. I think you have to do a blood culture for those and it's slow. His symptoms don't match but it's the only thing I can think of (besides simple muscle strain, which doesn't match either) that antibiotics won't touch. If he had something else hard to test for (lepto, bartonella) a good course of antibiotics should've given some relief at least.

Turn around time is 3-5 days with MSU, cost is only $40 (plus whatever your vet charges for the blood draw/shipping) so not too bad.

There's another lab that does what I believe is a more reliable test for specific fungal infections - I looked into the one for blastomycosis - they can use serum or urine, but urine is actually preferred, but the lab wouldn't give me a price for their test and my vet said thy'd charge me nearly $200!! :yikes

Heather, here's the MSU panel info that Jey gave me.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting, NeylasMom. I had totally forgotten that we'd found that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:bighug It's good you cleared the air with her. I do understand that most owners probably don't want the details, but now that you've explained that you DO want to know, she should keep you fully informed.

:candle for Rocky

Glad to see you got the communication thing settled, that's half the battle right there. Hoping you have some answers soon and that this treatment plan works for your boy.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest HHHounds

Our 10 year old Candyman developed a joint autoimmune problem earlier this year. He was in so much pain in January that it was heartbreaking to watch him walk. Our vet put him on prednisone and it made a huge differnce. He still takes prednisone every other day and Azathioprine on the non-prednisone days, and is doing very well. Hope all goes well for Rocky too!

I'm glad you feel better about your vet and Rocky's (lack of) diagnosis. Hopefully the things you're trying now will get him feeling better. Poor guy!

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Progress is everyone being on the same page! Now if the process of elimination can go a little more quickly in order to get Rocky some relief, that would be success! Praying for a dx!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Damn! That is just not right. I am sorry to hear about this diagnosis for Rocky. Was really hoping for better news.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so very sorry Heather. I was hoping it was something else.:(

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

What a breathtakingly cruel thing to happen. My heart goes out to you and Ken and your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry Heather. Cancer sucks!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Furmom

This is not what anyone was hoping for.... you will do the best for him and everyone knows that! You are a greyt hound mom and have given us all the advice needed through our "little" things - I am sorry I don't have the words of wisdom for you.

Love your pup and my prayers are with you.