Rocky

Guest KennelMom

Piper had repeated bouts of back hunching. It was due to gas. But vets could feel the gas on palpation and see it on the x-ray. Just BTW, the medicine for gas made her back legs tremble.

Her story doesn't have a happy ending either, but that was a few months and several more crises later.

Would you mind telling me more about Piper? I didn't know gas could be potentially fatal. :(

I'm sorry if I scared you. I wanted to shorten a long and horrible story, and I left too much out. We were so flummoxed for so long...She seemed to react badly to things, including most meds, and went through various bouts of gas and one of HGE. She also gradually stopped eating--I chased her appetite through all types of food. For a while, we treated for severe IBD. After we said goodbye, the vets found yellow skin on her belly and inside her ears, and concluded that she probably had intestinal cancer that spread to her liver.

I'm not sure, but I don't think gas is fatal w/o torsion. But whatever is causing the gas--even the wrong food, if the dog is sensitive enough--can cause other very dangerous conditions (like HGE).

I'm glad your boy is home. I hope he doesn't have another episode, but if he does, I hope you can pinpoint the cause.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KennelMom

Heather I'm glad he's home. While his vet visit was no doubt expensive, I'd pay that kind of money any day to be told it's just gas :) I hope he will be feeling better soon.

Oh, definitely. Considering losing Harmony and Bodhi in the last couple years at such young ages and the vets could do nothing to save them, I'll take an expensive gas bubble any day! When Ken picked him up, the vet said he was sorry they didn't find anything more (I guess b/c of the expense). Ken said, you are giving me back a healthy dog and that's all that matters.

He's back to his old self this morning! :yay :yay We did talk about maybe the food irritating his GI tract, so we're going to switch him to the Pacific Stream TOTW. I've been thinking about switching Stella anyway b/c I think she's mildly allergic to something in the High Prairie version...maybe the bison.

GreyPoopon - thanks for sharing more detail...Time will tell if this is an isolated incident or if he'll have continued issues with gas. I will tuck Piper's story in the back of my mind. The collective experience on GT is priceless :grouphug

Yay for gas! :yay

Hijack: What type of car is that? :)

Toyota Sienna - seats removed for the dogs comfort, of course :rolleyes: I must be getting old b/c I love my mini-van :lol

just seeing this! glad to hear he's doing better and at home.

Rainey had similar symptoms, especially the hunching -- it was bloat (actually her stomach had "flipped up" to the top of the abdominal cavity, 180 degrees from where it's supposed to be?) :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Heather I'm glad he's home. While his vet visit was no doubt expensive, I'd pay that kind of money any day to be told it's just gas :) I hope he will be feeling better soon.

Oh, definitely. Considering losing Harmony and Bodhi in the last couple years at such young ages and the vets could do nothing to save them, I'll take an expensive gas bubble any day! When Ken picked him up, the vet said he was sorry they didn't find anything more (I guess b/c of the expense). Ken said, you are giving me back a healthy dog and that's all that matters.

He's back to his old self this morning! :yay :yay We did talk about maybe the food irritating his GI tract, so we're going to switch him to the Pacific Stream TOTW. I've been thinking about switching Stella anyway b/c I think she's mildly allergic to something in the High Prairie version...maybe the bison.

I tried switching my cats to the TOTW cat food and they had a hard time with the venison. They do best on a salmon based diet. All of my pups eat the pacific stream without problems. For a lot of them, chicken and lamb are big no-no's. The pacific stream works for everyone :)

I'm glad he's feeling better today :yay I agree with Ken, I'd rather spend a bunch of money and take home a healthy dog! :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• 3 weeks later...
Guest KennelMom

Well, Rocky's been having the same symptoms off and on since we had him at the vet. It's been pretty bad this weekend with a lot of hunching and even yelping, holding his head low. He's going to see our regular vet tomorrow...they should have copies of the myriad of things they did at the last (emergency) vet.

I haven't seen him poop recently, though there was a couple piles by the back door overnight which I suspect was him but can't be sure.

:(

Guest kydie

Gee,,,, gas :eek the only time one of my dogs haunched his back , was when he had intestional issues, :huh really interested to know what your regular vet says, keep us posted

Guest PiagetsMom

Sending good thoughts your way for Rocky's vet visit tomorrow - I'll be thinking about you and will check back for an update :grouphug

Wouldn't want to interfere with what vet will do later, but might be worth getting some antibiotics into him as well.

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Fingers crossed they figure something out!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Keeping Rocky in my thoughts and prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

grouphug.gif Rockygrouphug.gif Hope you feel better soon!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

:goodluck for Rocky.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest IHeartDogs

Hope it is nothing serious and they figure it out finally. *sending healing thoughts and prayers for Rocky*