Greys Eating Flowers?

Guest happygrey

Guest happygrey

Tonight Tatam tried to eat several kinds of flowers :eek on our after dinner walk and once we got home and I let him off the leash in our fenced yard. He attacked two of my big beautiful peonies right off the plant! He does enjoy grass from time to time but I've never seen him go for flowers. I didn't let him eat any of them...because I was afraid they might be toxic to him.

Do other greys do this? Could this mean he's feeling sick? Maybe it's a funny kind of digestive aid? :lol

Edited by happygrey

Mine will go after my roses from time to time. Visit the poison prevention site for a list of toxic plants so you know what he can't eat. And, goes without saying, but, if you use fertilizers either sprayed or in the ground, don't let him eat anything.

My angel Libby used to eat my cucumbers right off the vine, and last year Toni went for the tomatoes. They will eat anything!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My foster Sarge gently plucked all the snow drops off my plants this spring. He seemed to enjoy every bite. I think they just taste good :):rolleyes:

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Guest redreed

I used to know it was spring when Tiger Shark would stop and eat the flowers. He would limit himself to crocus', dandelions, and clover. I would stop him as soon as I saw him doing it. But I have to admit, I do miss that.

When I first got George, he used to try to eat flowers. I just assume there weren't a lot of flowers at the kennel he was raised at, the track kennel he lived at, and having been to the track he raced at I KNOW there weren't any flowers there. I took it as an experiment to see if it was yummy or not!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Piper is a dedicated gardener. -_- I am always careful about what I plant in the back yard because I know he is going to sample the blooms.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Batman did it. My others have all been "grass only" eaters.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest burgerandfrey

Both our greys are grass eaters, and early this Spring Lola nipped the flowers and buds off of our crocuses. She didn't eat them... just left a grisly crime scene of headless crocuses surrounded by stemless flowers :lol

Fortunately she left our tulips alone and so far has left our irises alone too.

WABI!!!! Where are the pics of Wabi?? :clap:lol The Dandelion muncher :)

:lol Oh yeah! She is a huge dandelion decapitating machine!

Photo0255.jpg

going in for the kill (booger and all!)

Photo0256.jpg

The strike!

:rolleyes: Happy liked them, too, but wasn't obsessed. Pogo snagged flowers as we walked for about the first year we had him, but has since left them alone pretty much. Brilly never. Wabi gets the prize! :kiss2

Photo0235.jpg

I even did a little digital painting of her in our fields of dandelions (turned into a greeting card by popular request :blush: ).

wabi-01.jpg

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

I will never again plant zinnias in my back yard. My girls ate all the leaves off of them. All I had left was a stick with a flower on top. It looked pretty silly.

I'm pretty safe with impatiens...they don't seem to like them.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Some flowers can be toxic to dogs. Last week Angel got sick eating my mom's tiger lilly's. She had it coming out both ends if you know what I mean!

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Guest happygrey

Thanks for all the feedback! We've got a totally organic yard and lawn, so I feel safe letting him eat grass, which he really enjoys, but I'm just not sure about the flowers. (Of course, I love my peonies, and wasn't too thrilled to see him go at them with such vigor!) If only he'd eat our dandelions, we'd be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. :lol

Nope, he just wants to go for the nice stuff!

Edited by happygrey

Guest aaspenwall

Of my 4 greys, only Aristotle has eaten flowers. He only ate purple coneflowers (echinacea) but he was thorough in his perceived duty of ridding my flower bed of this plant. After that first attempt, I gave up and didn't try to plant any more coneflowers for the rest of his life. He died last spring, so I transplanted several bunches of coneflowers from my mom's place to mine and they're just now starting to bloom, which is kind of bittersweet for me. I'm happy to have the pretty flowers, but would much rather have my Ari.

Guest NeroAmber

This thread is so sweet! :lol I can just imagine all those hounds munching away on multi-coloured flora! Amber ate the tulip petals off of the pub tulips, and then ate a daisy-chain Coronet I had made for Nero. Munch munch GULP- gone! :lol

Guest happygrey

Of my 4 greys, only Aristotle has eaten flowers. He only ate purple coneflowers (echinacea) but he was thorough in his perceived duty of ridding my flower bed of this plant. After that first attempt, I gave up and didn't try to plant any more coneflowers for the rest of his life. He died last spring, so I transplanted several bunches of coneflowers from my mom's place to mine and they're just now starting to bloom, which is kind of bittersweet for me. I'm happy to have the pretty flowers, but would much rather have my Ari.

Awww, I'm sure I'd feel the same way about my peonies were Tatam to pass away. :grouphug

She is a huge dandelion decapitating machine!
Is she available for hire? Romie will eat yellow iris, but not dandelions.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Yikes! Tulips (and other bulbs) sound like a toxic salad! :unsure

Ellen, Wabi would love to come eat your dandelions (or anyone else's!) She'll do it for free, but I'll take a manager's fee. ;)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest GreyRabbit

Cosmo is eating my strawberries mad.gif

The only thing that grows out there that I also want to eat...he has to have it all to himself!

They don't eat flowers, but I wish they'd help out with dandelion patrol.

Mine are strawberry thieves too, especially Tiny. They would disappear right as they reached the peak of ripeness and I thought they were being eaten by birds until one day I caught them in the act.

Tiny carefully plucking a strawberry from the plant.

IMG_0102.jpg

Raven inspecting the fruits for ripeness. They aren't ready yet... she'll come back for them in a couple of days.

IMG_0106.jpg

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg