Need Prayers-Sutra Is Vomiting Blood :(

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jordan, nope, no Deramaxx. He hasn't had any in about 4 days now. They're really quite sure that this is unrelated to the Deramaxx, but they told me to keep him off of it for at least 72 hours. I won't give it to him again unless he starts eating and keeping food down.

I really WANT to give it to him because I think it would help him rest. He acts like he has a headache and doesn't feel well. But on the offchance that THAT'S the culprit, I won't give it to him. He's been taking it for over a month without an issue...and now that Ace, Fritz, and Skimmie are all not feeling well too, I have a feeling that it is a bug that's gotten to him. But, because his system is compromised from the cancer, etc. (plus he's 12), it hit him harder than it will hit the rest of them. They've all been eating grass today and each has thrown up some bile. Other than that, they seem alright.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest SusanP

Oh Kristen, I'm so sorry you and Sutra are going through this. It might be easier if you *did* have someone come and keep you company through this. When I'm alone is when I get the most discouraged and frightened about Wizard. Even if the person does nothing but hold your hand... Sending good thoughts to you both and all the upset tummy crew. Susan

If he's had a GI bleed, really best no Deramaxx even if that's not what caused it. Do you have Tramadol you can give him (assuming he gets along with that OK)? Really hoping he turns around for you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We have tramadol but I hate to give it to him as it makes him pant a lot and he gets really restless....then I can't tell if he's restless because of tramadol or for some other reason (he pants and paces when he needs to go potty).

I may give him some melatonin at bedtime and maybe that will help him rest a bit.

I'm making myself an omelet, so maybe he will want to share it with me...

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

They did x-ray, right, to make sure he wasn't blocked?

Poor babe. I can imagine how worried you must be for him.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yep, xrays were "boring."

Funny thing just happened...I made myself a cheese omelet and I saved a few bites for him. They weren't hot by the time I offered it to him. He sniffed the bites, touched them with his front teeth, then jumped back like they'd bitten him. He acted toward the omelet pieces like they do with stuffies...bite it, back up with ears up, bite at it again, etc. Then he would try to bury the plate with his nose. I put a piece on the fork and offered it to him. Again he mouthed it but wouldn't take it. He acted a bit agitated, like he really really wanted it, but didn't know how to get it. This went on for a few minutes, same thing over and over again....like "ohhhh I really want it, but I'm afraid to eat it." sort of thing. :dunno

He is a bit more perky and is resting quietly. He hasn't had any panting episodes since right before he vomited. I may see if he wants some ice cream. First I'm going to try offering him some hamburger and rice. He had his Sucralfate just before 7pm.

Well, he just ate a tiny bit of vanilla ice cream on his own, and then had about 20 ccs of mashed potatoes mixed with water. He seemed to like those better than the pumpkin. Or maybe he's just getting used to the syringe thing.

Fingers crossed that he keeps it down!

We have tramadol but I hate to give it to him as it makes him pant a lot and he gets really restless....then I can't tell if he's restless because of tramadol or for some other reason (he pants and paces when he needs to go potty).

I may give him some melatonin at bedtime and maybe that will help him rest a bit.

I'm making myself an omelet, so maybe he will want to share it with me...

Kristin, you might ask your vet about just using tylenol #3 (codeine). I've used it for all my osteo dogs if the tramadol was no longer effective, and had no problem.

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Our night was a little bit better. He burped and farted a lot, then started panting again. He walked into the living room panting and spit up a little bit, but I think he kept most of the mashed potatoes down. After he spit up, I got him into bed and he slept ALL night.

He's just had his sucralfate...we will wait an hour and then have our pepcid, followed by a little bit of food and then his antibiotics. I'm really hoping that today is the day he will turn around.

Hugs to you Kristin for taking such good care of this boy. Do you have any Rescue Remedy? That might help take the edge off Sutra and help him relax. It also won’t interfere with any of his meds.

Keeping our paws crossed that you both get some rest and that Sutra starts to show you some improvement today!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Prayers he starts doing much better and you can get a decent amount of food in him. Poor guy.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Maybe ask you vet for some Valium? Would help him rest.

Curfew is VERY restless at night, has been since all of his "episodes." It really helps him.

Sending hugs to you and Sutra!

He had some more mashed potatoes and ensure...so far he's been fed twice today and he's keeping it down. He's still sleeping A LOT, but he needs that,I'm sure.

Kristin, glad to hear he's eating some now. Fingers crossed that he keeps up thei improvement! :hope

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

The light is back in his eyes :wub: Oh you guys I'm so happy that I'm crying. He's here with me...mentally. He has been cleaning his legs since he's dribbled food on them the past couple of days - he's cleaned his paws and licked his owie where his IV was. I am about to feed him some more mashed potatoes. I hope this improvement continues...it was so nice to have him look at me today and be present, you know? :wub:

Your mashed potatoes must rock, Kristin! Yay Sutra! blush.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

The light is back in his eyes :wub: Oh you guys I'm so happy that I'm crying. He's here with me...mentally. He has been cleaning his legs since he's dribbled food on them the past couple of days - he's cleaned his paws and licked his owie where his IV was. I am about to feed him some more mashed potatoes. I hope this improvement continues...it was so nice to have him look at me today and be present, you know? :wub:

:yay :yay :yay

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."