Gator (Papa Conch) Mar 7, 1999 - April 3, 2010

Guest GREYTGLITTER

Guest GREYTGLITTER

On Saturday, April 3 we had to allow Gator (Papa Conch) to cross the Rainbow Bridge. Gator had turned 11 on March 7. He had eatne breakfast on Wed Mar 31, but did not eat his midday treat or dinner. He threw-up a few times during the night but early Thur morning he had HORRIBLE diarrhea. We took him to the e-vet and Gator had a 104.5 fever!!. The e-vet said the blood work had to be redone cuz Gator had HGE - Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis. Gator was put on fluids and antibiotics. We took him to our normal vet @ 7:30am and they did some more blood work and stomach x-rays. No tumors found and no problems seen with his pancreas. No obvious reason for the infection was found.

So he was at the vet All day Thursday and Friday. He was not getting re-hydrated and still was having watery diarrhea. We were told he looked depressed and for us to come by this morning and see if he would eat for us. Our normal vet is only open till noon on Saturdays and they would have to have him transported to the e-vet for the weekend.

My hubby went to see Gator Sat. morning (I had to work at my part-time job) and was told that Gator's numbers were not looking good. Patrick took him to the e-vet and Gator's temps was 103 and bloodwork was re-done (by the e-vet who had seen him Thur morning). Gator's kidneys were failing and the prognosis was not good. Patrick came to get me from work (3 mins away from the e-vet) and we made the decision to let Gator go and to not have him suffer anymore. We were both holding him when he passed.

Gator and I bonded very closely in early 2005 (we adopted him in Nov 2004) when my hubby began commuting from DE to CT. I began working from home and had to work very hard to teach Gator to not jump up on me when I would come home. Gator was not really food motivated BUT he loved affection and attention. So, I worked with him to get him to go out of his crate and to get on a bed before he got affection. Gator learned how to calm himself and the crate went away!!!! I can still him shaking from excitement on his bed and waiting so patiently for his affection!! We do the same thing when someone comes to visit. He was such a lover boy - he sooo wanted to get petted and to lean (and shed) on everyone he met!!!

One of my favorite memories is when he brought a dead mole into the house and my hubby was in CT so there was no one to help me get the mole out of the house. I learned that day that if there's no one to hear you, then screaming for someone else to take care of a critter is NOT going to work. I HAD to do it myself!! Gator was sooo proud of the gift he brought me :colgate

I miss my Baby Boy sooo much. It is soo quiet in our home (despite having both Glitter & Gigi with us). Not only was he a big boy (normally weighed ~ 90 lbs) his presence in our home was gigantic!!!

We will pick up his ashes today. Anyone have any recommendations for memorial plaques with a greyhound on it. Thanks!!!

Here are some of my favorite pics of Gator:

Gator2_CTGreyhounds.jpg

GATORHEADSHOT3-1.jpg

Dad, I can help you...T-R-E-A-T

DSCF1103-1.jpg

Oh he did LOVE to roach!!!

DSCF1655.jpg

Guest aaspenwall

I'm so sorry for your loss and can relate to the feeling of such a loss of such a big presence, even with other dogs in the house. Those special big boys make a place in your home and your heart that no one else can fill. But even when they've moved on they can still occupy part of your heart. I don't have any recommendations for memorial plaques, but when my heart boy died just over a year ago, I got a piece of cremation jewelry in which to keep a small bit of his ashes. The thought kind of seemed odd at first, but I really like it.

Guest Drumhellergrey
:sad1 Sorry for your lose. It sounds like he was a special joy to have around and will be sadly missed for some time to come. :bighug:brokenheart:angelwings Godspeed Gator

Sharon, I'm so sorry for you loss. Gator was a great dog!!!

Godspeed Gator, may you run free with the wind at the Bridge. :gh_run:f_red

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

What a beautiful boy. I am so sorry.

Rest in peace, sweet Gator.

:grouphug:f_red

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

He was so handsome and happy. I am so sorry. :(

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Handsome boy, gone too soon.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Gator was a good lookin' boy - I can just picture him shaking with excitement on his bed. Godspeed Gator! flowers_yellow.gif

Edited by sweetdogs

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I'm so sorry...he sounded very special and loving.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 He was a handsome special boy.

Godspeed Gator.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)