Riley - His Leg Tear... Treated With Honey Bandages

Guest Wpgkeith

Guest Wpgkeith

So after a great first weekend, when we removed Riley's bandages Thursday, he had developed a nasty infection. Over night, the wound got worse, not better.

Today we decided to go with honey bandages to assist in the healing and fight the infection.

Here is the first change of the bandages that we did tonight.

Starting to remove the outer vet wrap...

P1040164.jpg

A bit of seepage...

P1040165.jpg

A bit more....sigh...

P1040166.jpg

The wound...

P1040167.jpg

After Saline rinse...

P1040171.jpg

Under bandage...

P1040172.jpg

Vet wrapped...

P1040173.jpg

DW just mentioned that his bandage was dripping honey...maybe a bit less tomorrow.

:mellow:

K

Edited by Wpgkeith

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, just though I get this straight, after the saline wash you put on honey, then the vet wrap? What does the honey do, and how do you keep him from licking that? Just asking, cause Spud has a minor ouyie that may need wrapping, and if honey is doing anything I didn't know about, I am all over that.....

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Guest Wpgkeith

There are probably better sources and personal stories...but here is one that I found...

Hopefully someone with real healing experience can chime in.

:)

K

Guest Greytluv

:kiss2 Riley

Be sure to take pics as you go. It will be interesting to see how it's healing.

Edited by Greytluv

I hope you don't have any bears in the area! :lol

Seriously, the wound actually looks very good. The first photo you took after the bandage was removed doesn't appear to be infected. It looks like a very small area of dehiscence (wound separation) in the centre, but the tissue looks like healthy pink granulation tissue. Considering the area is notoriously difficult to get to heal, it looks really good! Obviously you've been doing great wound care.

Just one suggestion: it looks like you're using webril directly over the wound. I think webril makes a fine over-wrap, but it tends to stick to wounds and pieces of fibre can get into the wound itself. I like to use either vaseline gauze or adaptek, which are non-adherent. That is, unless your vet suggested wet-to-dry dressings, but for that, I'd use regular gauze 4 x 4's.

Keep posting photos - honey day 1, honey day 2, etc. :)

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Did your vet give you the manuka honey or did you order it? I know that the wound care physicians at work are having great success using Manuka honey on the patients with open pressure sores. They are doing several trials and tracking progress with different types of wounds. Good Luck :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Ok, just though I get this straight, after the saline wash you put on honey, then the vet wrap? What does the honey do, and how do you keep him from licking that? Just asking, cause Spud has a minor ouyie that may need wrapping, and if honey is doing anything I didn't know about, I am all over that.....

As Kamsmom says, Manuka honey is the one you need - and if you can get medical grade, that's really the one you want. The New Zealand Honey Shop (do an online search and it'll turn up) sells it, but I've found some good active manuka honeys in our local supermarkets. You need to look for manuka honey with a factor of 15+ or more, and a good honey will tell you that in big letters on the front of the label. It means that it has guaranteed high levels of the active ingredients, and not all manuka honeys do.

Manuka honey is antibacterial, osmolytic and antioxidant - and soothing, too, I'm told! To keep him from licking you need to put a dressing over the wound - which helps the honey work better anyway.

There are probably better sources and personal stories...but here is one that I found...

K

Great link! I'm bookmarking it. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest greygirls2

The manuka honey should do the trick. I used it on Diamond's wounds after 3 months of trying to get them closed up using every other thing on the market. When they were suggesting more surgery and a skin graft I decided to try the honey as a last ditch effort. Granulation was noted by the second application and in 3 weeks the wounds were completely healed. I swear by this stuff....I used the Dr. Nordyke's Manukla Honey wound cream. Even my vets were amazed and now use this on their patients with stubborn wounds. It's good to keep on hand for yourself too for burns, cuts, scrapes etc.

Guest Wpgkeith

Thanks for the input.

The honey we are using is McKenzie's Natural Unprocessed...not Manuka. This is what our vet suggested, although Manuka certainly is the one most mentioned. I am guessing that she has had some experience with brand/variety as she mentioned by name, etc to DW when she went to the store. Could be experience, price point, ease of availability, or maybe she has shares in McKenzie's? :dunno:lol

We apply the honey to Telfa bandage (which is a non-adhering type) then cover in a light wrap of cast bandage and then apply the guazy stuff over all of that. That is why the wrap appears so thick.

Will re-wrap later today...if interesting, maybe more pics.

K

Here's a greyhound linky on using manuka: Tegan. (Warning - more gore but lots of healing.)

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Not to completely hijack, but we just went through several weeks of trying to get a wound to heal. It eventually did, but I am interested in having some of this honey on hand for the spring season. There are a bazillion brands out there - does anyone recommend one over another?

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest Wpgkeith

Day 2 of honey bandages...wound still looks icky, but Riley is ignoring it. could it be the healing honey, the new antibiotics, or the Tramadol...or all three?

New pics...similar to the old pics...

Before starting...

P1040194.jpg

We were concerned that it looked like wound seepage...turns out it was mostly honey... :)

P1040196.jpg

Fully unwrapped, but not yet cleaned...

P1040197.jpg

Saline spray cleaned...

P1040200.jpg

Pat dried.

P1040201.jpg

And then re-wrapped...

P1040202.jpg

Now, after eating, the boy is in food coma...and we can enjoy a beverage. :thumbs-up

K

Guest Energy11

I think you are doing all the right things. If you don't feel the honey is working, you CAN use human triple antibiotic ointment, like Neosporin.

Unless you see pus, redness, weeping, or other "nasty-looking" stuff, you should be fine.

Sending hugs! Dee and The Five

There are a bazillion brands out there - does anyone recommend one over another?

I've used manuka honey usa which I initally bought from the website but later found the same thing in my health food store. They had quite a few brands that I could have substituted. Some local honey & others that were more natural than supermarket brands. But I think in principal, all honey can be helpful.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I first heard about the healing properties of Manuka Honey in the CG Magazine several years ago. I believe the article was called "Pipers Skinning". I read from several sources that Manuka Honey is the preffered honey because it is gathered from the Tea Tree Bush blossoms, which in itself has medicinal properties...same as Tea Tree Oil does. Like others have said, it's the medical grade Manuka you want to use for wound care.

I purchased mine at My link

Edited by gryhnd_adoptee

Riley, sweetie, you're being soooooooooo good about leaving your bandage alone. Next time Mom and Dad bring you down to Grand Forks I'll have a special treat for you.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Guest Wpgkeith

Monday updates...Changed his bandage yesterday morning...it was looking pretty good. In the afternoon, we went into the vet's office for a change and check-up. She thought it was looking very good and can take down bandage changes to once a day.

Here are the updated pics from yesterday...

Bandaged...

P1040231.jpg

Unwrapped...

P1040233.jpg

Cleaning up...

P1040235.jpg

Ready for re-wrapping...

P1040236.jpg

More later if they prove interesting...

K

Guest Wpgkeith

Tuesday updates... Took fewer pics today...the vet used way more honey and over the whole band-aid...may be better...but is way more messy...so tonight I did more between my way and hers.

After took the wraps off...kind of honey icky...

P1040238.jpg

After we cleaned the wound...

P1040239.jpg

And re-wrapped.

P1040241.jpg

K

It's looking better and better each day Keith!!

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest greygirls2

What a GREYT patient he is! Looks like the wound is closing up well! The great thing about the honey is that it promote healing in from the edged rather than scabbing over which takes longer. What are you using to bandage the leg right after the honey application? It almost looks like plastic wrap from the photos. Hope everything is totally healed soon. Hugs from us.

Guest Wpgkeith

The honey is placed on a Telfa bandage...which I found out is used the other way around...one puts the honey on the slidy-bit not the fuzzy bit. Then I cover with a soft fuzzy casting bandage quite loosely. Then the gauze layer. Finally...the vet wrap. Which does look kind of plasticy-rubbery.

Hope that explains it. I can take specific pics of each layer tonight if you would like?

Tomorrow he gets the stitches out! :yay He may also get to go "nekkid" - without any bandage. And...the vet will try her new fancy-shmancy ultrasonic de-scaler for his teefers. If it works, will hopefully cut down on his need for a dental. :nod

K