Riley - His Leg Tear... Treated With Honey Bandages

Guest Wpgkeith

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Wpgkeith

It is actually two vets...

1) "Our" usual vet who owns the practice and bought the new equipment and her recent hire...

2) "New" vet who only recently graduated from vet school (Newly hatched as :Our" vet called it). She is the one who did the initial work, suggested the honey bandages, and has been doing a terrific job following up. ;)

This is the 3rd alternate vet our usual vet has brought in...and she is a keeper as far as I am concerned. Hope she sticks around as I trust her as much as our usual.

:)

K

Guest Wpgkeith

Wednesday update...

This shows what the Telfa bandage looks like after removal of the protective bandages.

P1040242.jpg

Pre-cleaned...

P1040243.jpg

After a bit of cleaning...

P1040244.jpg

Cleaned and for bandaging...at this point the camera battery died.... :(

P1040245.jpg

The casting bandage...

P1040246.jpg

Tomorrow, Riley gets his stitches out! :pepper

K

:yay :yay Riley! :yay :yay

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest Wpgkeith

Whew...been a few days...not really sure if there is improvement...we sure hope so!

Unwrapped, but not cleaned.

P1040295.jpg

Start of cleaning...

P1040294.jpg

Cleaned and ready for wrapping.

P1040293.jpg

P1040291.jpg

Back to the vet tomorrow...here's hoping for granulation and stitches removal. :goodluck

K

It looks good! The pink skin is granulation. Good job :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

If you're not seeing as much progress as you want, might try SSD (silver sulfadiazine) ointment on that. It is what we use for things that can't be stitched. Glop a bunch on the bandage, plop bandage on, change every couple days, don't clean in between, just plop a new SSD bandage on.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If you're not seeing as much progress as you want, might try SSD (silver sulfadiazine) ointment on that. It is what we use for things that can't be stitched. Glop a bunch on the bandage, plop bandage on, change every couple days, don't clean in between, just plop a new SSD bandage on.

I was going to suggest that, or...

There is a product called Aquacel. It looks kind of like telfa bandage, but, when applied to a wound, it turns to a gel-like substance and promotes granulation. I used it on Fritz's ongoing toe healing issue several years ago and the stuff is like MAGIC! It was a little bit tough to employ on a toe, but on Riley's leg it would be a cinch!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Wpgkeith

Thanks. I'll take both suggestions with me to the vet's this afternoon.

I was thinking, from she said, that the pink skin was granulated...but not sure as none of my studies have been in veterinary school. :lol

K

I was going to suggest that, or...

There is a product called Aquacel. It looks kind of like telfa bandage, but, when applied to a wound, it turns to a gel-like substance and promotes granulation. I used it on Fritz's ongoing toe healing issue several years ago and the stuff is like MAGIC! It was a little bit tough to employ on a toe, but on Riley's leg it would be a cinch!

Aquacel is to absorb exudate in a draining wound, Not for this application. Although if there is a lot of exudate and the wound is stalled you might want to try some Aquacel AG

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Wpgkeith

We have granulation...not much, but a bit! :yay

So, no more honey bandages! :pepper

We are going to a 48 hour bandage change and some bright yellow pasty stuff to put on the bandage.

Looks good...back on Monday for an update...Riley sees his vet about as often as I see my chiropractor...sadly. <_<

K

Progress is good! Fingers crossed it continues without incident.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Wpgkeith

So...no Aquacel - silver version or otherwise. No Silver Sulfadiazine (SSD) either...this may be a US product that may not be readily available in Canada? :dunno Our vet had not heard of it, and she was looking into other silver bandage products.

Till then...we are using Nitrofurazone ointment...it is bright, bright yellow.

Here is the current situation of the wound after bandage change...

P1040299.jpg

And to give reference..in my hand.

P1040300.jpg

Looked like the granulation has improved considerably in just the past 48 hours or so. :yay

K

Edited by Wpgkeith

Guest Wpgkeith

Just back from the vet's...Riley had 4 of his 7 or 8 stitches removed! :yay The wound is healing very nicely.

I did not get any pics tonight...but from Wednesday....

The start of good granulation...

P1040308.jpg

A bit of a close-up...

P1040309.jpg

And finally, the bing for the vet wrap. :lol;)

P1040310.jpg

Update will follow on Sunday...the next bandage change. In other good news...we don't have to pop back in till next Thursday...so almost a whole week without a vet visit...woo-hoo. :pepper

K

Aaaaaaaaaaah, progress! :)

We used to use nitrofurazone on horses, never thought of it for dogs.

Love the bandage :lol .

Guest Wpgkeith

The honey certainly seemed to help when the wound was infected. The infection was overcome quickly and healing seems to have increased.

If given a similar situation...I wouldn't hesitate to use honey again. :nod

So the vet's bandage bling is more diverse than the home ones...

P1040314.jpg

A close-up...

P1040315.jpg

We're changing his bandage again today...I'll post updated photos of the wound later.

K

Guest Wpgkeith

Sunday update...

The wound and how much better it is looking.

P1040330.jpg

Closer-up view of the leg...

P1040328.jpg

The new bandage bling...

P1040331.jpg

P1040332.jpg

K