New To The Forum ...have An Ill Grey

Guest Outlawdino

Guest Outlawdino

Our pride and joy, Dino, who will be 13 this November was diagnosed with cancer 2 months ago. The vet said there would be no need to bring him back for further evaluataions, shots, ect. Our given time table was 6 weeks to 6 months. His diet has been overhauled to steamed veggies, fresh ground turkey and/or lean beef and cooked brown rice....along with supplements. We'll see how it works. he still runs with my wife 5-7 days a week...rain, sleet, ect..and has shown no signs of anything. The cancer mass(es) are in his abdomen and at the time of the ultra sound, it had'nt spread but "it was a matter of time" Any thoughts? Experiences??

Do you know what specific cancer he was diagnosed with? Hemangiosarcoma? Fibrosarcoma? I'm sorry you're dealing with it :(

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest PhillyPups

No words of advice here, but there are a lot of people here that can help you. I just want to welcome you to GT, I am sorry the diagnosis is as it is. Welcome from Philly.

One of my dogs had a cancerous mass in his abdominal cavity, constricting his esophagus where it entered the stomach and pressing on various organs in that area. His was malignant histiocytosis. During the couple weeks we were diagnosing, the mass grew very rapidly, and speculation was that he would have only a couple of weeks. But then the mass evidently slowed down. Long story short, we had @ 6 mostly good months. We did not use a lot of medications -- a little prednisone the last month or two, to spark his appetite; some tummy meds the few times he absolutely refused to eat or got urpy. The day he was no longer comfortable, happy to eat, playing with toys a little ... that day, I let him go.

Hugs and hopes your pup is happy and comfortable for a long time yet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest AGirlNamedMe

I'm so sorry about your Dino. It must be awful to receive such a terrible diagnosis.

I'm sure that if you can post some additional information, you'll end up with some recommendations.

Poor guy!

Honesty? At that age? Your sole concern should really be making sure he's comfortable, and when he shows any signs of pain, dealing with that. And I suppose emotionally preparing yourself and your family for the inevitable. I'd also let him anything he wants!

Sounds like a much-loved hound--

The advice my vet gave me when my last dog had a malignant nerve-sheath tumor is just keep track of the good days, and bad days, and when the bad days outweigh the good, do the kind thing and let him go.

You will know when he's had enough.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Sorry I am just seeing this.

If you decide to contact Dr. Couto at OSU, here is his contact information:

OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness Program:

Phone: (614) 247-6757

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members:

Dr. Couto, Department Head, Greyhound Medicine, Oncolology and Hematology

Dr. Lili Marin, Greyhound Oncology

Dr. Sara Zaldivar, Greyhound Medicine

Dr. Cristina Iazbik, Blood Bank Director and Hematologist

Dr. Bridget Urie, Resident

Dawn Hudson, Vet Tech

Ashley DeFelice, Vet Tech

Dr. Urie is from the United States. All of the other vets are originally from Spanish speaking countries. If you have trouble understanding them over the phone, you might ask for Dr. Urie or one of the vet techs to "translate".

Dr. Couto's direct email is:

couto.1@osu.edu

His phone number is the same. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. I think they do about 20 consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. There is no charge for phone/email consultations. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics:

Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551

FYI: Dr. Couto has a team of about 6 veterinarians specializing in greyhound medicine. They are considered by many to be the best out there. They receive funding from individuals and foundations to do cancer, blood, and general greyhound medicine research.

This funding helps pay for free phone/email cancer consultations. They will need copies of xrays, labs, etc.

Guest AGirlNamedMe

Thank you so much posting all of contact information for the OSU team. I now have it all in one place - just in case.

I am very sorry to hear about Dino. I wish it was on happier news that we were welcoming you to GT. As others have said, you can try to contact Dr. Coutu who would provide you with all options. I believe right now you are doing what's best for him, good food and whole lot of love and possibly seeking options.

We would love to see pictures of Dino if you have any. There are far too many pups battling cancer so many on this board know exactly what you are going through and am sure you can turn to for advice or if you just need someone to listen.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• 3 months later...
Guest Outlawdino

He passed on the 5th...he will be missed. we opened our home to a new love, his name is Usher. RIP Dino.

I'm so sorry for the loss of Dino. I hope you had the chance to relish every good moment with him. He was blessed to have loving parents.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I am sorry that Dino lost his battle. I hope that it was peaceful for all. Congratulations on opening your heart and home to Usher!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

So sorry to hear this. But no better way to honor Dino's memory than taking that love and giving it to another who needs a home.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

I am so sorry to read of your loss. I hope you had many good days and were able to make memories and take photos of Dino.

I do hate cancer.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest SusanP

I'm so sorry to hear about Dino. But I'm also happy that you've opened your hearts and home to another hound in need of a home. :grouphug

I'm so sorry to hear this. :grouphug But thank you for letting us know about it and about your new family member.

Run free, Dino. :f_yellow

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I am so sorry about Dino. I hope you can post a photo of him eventually. Thank you for opening your home and heart to another hound! I'm sure he will help fill the void.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

grouphug.gif Sorry to hear about Dino. He knew he was loved.

Congrats on adopting Usher. I know he will help heal your heart.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Guest Energy11

Soo sorry to hear about your Dino.

When my Energy died, we adopted Curfew the NEXT day. BEST thing I could have done ... then came the other four, then, the two seniors (at The Bridge now). I think, opening your heart to another, when your heart is aching ... well, it is wonderful!

Love to you and Usher! I am sure Dino approves, and is keeping watch over you.