Poodle In Hospital

We went to my sisters this weekend and Poodle had some hamburger Saturday night which was OK with me but Sunday morning while I was asleep my sister cooked bacon for the dogs and the combo seemed to go way bad and Poodle the invincible man and my wingman got pancretitis. (sp?) His levels were off the chart and they had to keep him today to do two rounds of sub Q fluids. Hopefully he will be OK when he comes home at 5.

I have heard that sometimes dogs that get very sick have to go on a special low/no fat diet for the rest of their lives. Any idea about that? I have had the no bacon for dogs talk with my sister but she never listens. Maybe she will now but I am sorry it was at Poodles expense. :(

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Poor Poodle. Hoping for a happier tummy soon. :sad1

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm sorry. I hope he's home and healthy soon.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about the pancreatitis. It CAN be nasty, and yes, most likely, was the bacon.

Sending lots of love, hugs and many prayers for a quick recovery. Lofat diets for the furkids for sure. They MIGHT put them on a prescription food for a few days, once they think their systems can handle food by mouth.

Love to Poodle and Wingman, and wishes for a speedy recovery!

How is Poodle today?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest argolola

Prayers for your sweet Poodle. I have recent experience with Pancreatitis, as Lola had a terrible case in December. Please PM me if you want to know what I did for her. I feed low fat home cooked food over kibble for both of my pups now and they have never looked better. God bless sweet Poodle.

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Poor poodle. Hoping he is feeling better soon.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Just talked to Pam, Poodle is back at home but did have to return to the vet for more fluids and then came back home late. He is eating very, very little. Please keep Poodle in your thoughts, Pam is very worried about her little guy.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Pam, I've been there with the pancreatitis...that's what Sutra has.

After almost losing him at the hospital, he would not eat and did not want to take his meds. We started with Vanilla Ensure, just to get SOMETHING into his tummy. The vet was wanting me to feed him the Hills prescription diet crap which still has a lot of fat in it.

He had lost a lot of weight, so, I fed him mashed potatoes, macaroni, low fat cottage cheese, turkey baby food (the Disney brand from Walmart was the best and least expensive). Most days I'd make a mix of either potatoes, macaroni, or plain oatmeal, with cottage cheese and/or yogurt, plus the baby food or just plain raw 99% fat free ground turkey. A big bowl of slop, basically. But, it got him eating again...which made him want his pills again (pill pockets are great, we also used fruit rollups for a while).

He lived on this diet for several months, it seems. When he seemed well enough, we transitioned over to Solid Gold Wolf King. It is low in fat but has a good amount of protein. If Poodle needs lower protein due to a kidney issue, etc. the Solid Gold Holistique Blendz is what I would recommend.

Your vet will probably frown at the mention of "table food" (what the vet called what I was feeding to Sutra), but, it worked wonders. The vet is now a believer and has even called me to ask me what I fed to Sutra so he could suggest it to another client!

As far as amounts, little Poodle certainly won't eat what Sutra was eating (Poodle could probably take a nap in the bowl that I put Sutra's "slop" in! :lol I have Corelle dishes and I used the largest bowl (there are three sizes)...filled up. Maybe Poodle could eat about the amount of the middle sized bowl, or even the small size. I tried to feed Sutra 3 times a day if my schedule permitted...during the week it was more like twice a day with a snack before bedtime, but on weekends he got three big meals, plus a little something before bed (usually half a bottle of Ensure).

When I got him a year ago he weighed 47 lbs. He now weighs 67 and is a happy, healthy 12 year old. I do have to watch him for signs that the pancreatitis is flaring again. I take him in to the vet for bloodwork and we usually treat with 14 days of Clavamox. The change when he's feeling icky is really subtle and I seem to be the only one who can tell, but, I trust my gut. You know Poodle, so, once he's better, don't hesitate to take him in if you think he is even a TINY BIT "off"...when you catch a flare up early, it's just a small pothole in the road compared to what could happen if it's allowed to fully flare again.

Hugs to you, feel free to PM me! :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Healing white light to both pups from western Pa. I would cure my sister, with not listening to what I have to say , by handing her the vet bill, might have a greater impact :nod

Best wishes for Poodle. Come on little man - don't let no stinkin' bacon keep you down! getwell.gifhope.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Checking in. I think that the 3rd round of sub Q fluids, two more shots yesterday and a couple of Tramadols might have done the trick. Cross your fingers.

He got up this morning looking for food. The vet said just shredded boiled chicken breast and rice for the next 4 or 5 days. I gave him about 1/4 cup last night. He kept it down and woke up looking for food this morning. I gave him about 1/2 cup with some broth poured over it. Am going to try that again later this afternoon then this evening. Will get some baby food and maybe make that and mashed potatoes tomorrow to change things up a little.

I was looking at low fat kibble yesterday and while the lady at Canine Commissary liked Chicken Soup low fat at 6% fat but I wasn't wild about the cellulose. Innova and California Natural each have one at 7% without celluose...but I have a while to decide.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg