Kibble W/ Or W/o Water?

Guest BunnyBlab

Kibble w/ or w/o water?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Do you float your kibble in water in the bowl or just let them eat it dry?

• I float the kibble in water
    • Just put the kibble in the bowl -- uncomplicated!
    • Some of this, some of that

Guest Parsniptoast

Both Reg and Meg get their kibble soaked for half an hour or so and absolutely swimming in a 'gravy'. I boil beetroot or cabbages and other veggies/peelings and some chicken stock or liver stock and then whizz it up with a hand blender and add this to the pre-soaked kibble. it's still crunchy but they also get lots of juice and they both drink up the whole lot and clear their bowls just about every meal.

When I boil beetroot the end result is inevitably purple poop but it makes it easier to spot in the grass :D

Also, when Meg came here she was a bag of bones with super dry skin. She's now fleshed out beautifully and her dry skin has disappeared and I think she did tend towards dehydration. As she favours the pond water I would rather over fill her food bowl to try and keep her away from that!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LindsaySF

Water or no, depends on the dog. For a dog that eats slowly and chews their food, IMO there is no need to add any water. For a gulper, especially one that is prone to regurgitation, a little water mixed in can make it go down more smoothly. I only add the water though just as I'm about to feed the food, not long enough for the kibble to expand and get soggy. There are some studies out there that suggest that water-logged kibble can do more harm than good, so I avoid water if not necessary.

FYI, when Gavin/Jacoby ate at my house he ate slowly and carefully. (The Praire kibble are very small too). I don't think he will need any water to be added. :)

greyhounds do not produce as much saliva as other breeds which is why they they have such bad teeth.

Greyhounds seem to have a genetic predisposition to bad teeth, I'm not sure saliva plays a huge role. I know many slobbery dogs that also have bad teeth.

Guest BunnyBlab

Thanks again, all, for this advice.

Lindsay, I'll just have to keep an eye on him when he eats, then... Slow and carefully is much better than gulping, IMHO.

Guest Bang_o_rama

I wet the dry food, but certainly not enough to be considered "floating." More like (as my grandmother pronounced it) a bit merst.

Dave

Edited by Bang_o_rama

Guest FordRacingRon

I voted water. What we really do is buy stew beef from the store and boil it, then use that liquid in every bowl of kibble,,,and the meat makes a tasty treat for an add-in.

I add water for two of my girls... Kara in particular because she has only seven teeth (poor girlie) and Cleo. Honey and Nadia get theirs dry.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest EMcElfresh

I moisten the dog food with a bit of water, not often floating unless I've over estimated the water. And I use cool water, and don't let it soak so the kibs are still crunchy. It's just for Gordon (not Pepper) because he doesn't chew much.

Guest Hollys2hounds

I too, make a chicken stew for my guys, and add two or three tablespoons to their kibble, mix it all up with warm water, and serve. (not floating, but very moist)

They love my cooking! :P

(I make a big pot of stew once every 2 weeks or so, freeze some and refridgerate the rest)

Edited by Hollys2hounds

Guest Javagirl

I don't float the kibble, but I do put about 1/2 a cup of water in and micro it for 30 seconds so there is some gravy to the food. I don't add anything to it. I make Ladd a frozen yogurt kong a few times a week.

Guest BunnyBlab

I don't float the kibble, but I do put about 1/2 a cup of water in and micro it for 30 seconds so there is some gravy to the food. I don't add anything to it. I make Ladd a frozen yogurt kong a few times a week.

Frozen yogurt Kong? Is that as simple as putting frozen yogurt in a Kong? The ice-cream kind or the yogurt kind? Do tell!

Guest jtavants

I've been adding 2/3 cup hot water to Tucson's kibble in addition to either yogurt, pumpkin, or canned veggies. The water, along with elevating his food bowl, seems to help prevent Tucson from choking on the food he prefers to inhale rather than chew and swallow. :)

Speaking of elevating food bowls. Instead of shelling out $40+ for an elevated food bowl, I picked up this pet bowl stand from IKEA for only $6.99: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90141133

It works reasonably well considering the price!

• 2 weeks later...

I add water, but not very much and I don't let it sit, so it is still crunchy.

For T's food, we have to add water for his meds and with one brand, have to let it sit for 15 mins so he get soft mush stuff. I much prefer kibble in bowl, add a little water, put it down for them to eat without waiting.

same

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

The ones who choke on dry food get it in water--a fair bit, although not actually floating--and the others get it dry. FWIW, only 2 of 5 (formerly 2 of 6) hounds get it dry. The poodles also get it dry.

The water is added before any other supplements/meds, which takes a few minutes (especially in the morning), but the kibble doesn't really get soft.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I add a little bit of water, and a heaping spoonful of canned food to three or four cups (Depending on the dog) of quality dry. They do well with this. I feed once per day, or else the slightly picker dog won't eat. The amount of water I add is not excessive. Maybe half of a standard dogfood can's worth (I do it that way to get every last bit of flavor out of the can).

Guest jvandover

Lovie eats slowly and chews, but she won't eat it without water. I add some warm water and swish it around immediately before giving it to her. I liken it to my own breakfast cereal - I like milk on it to make it moist, but I still like it crunchy, not soggy. Lovie seems to like it that way too.

I have to add water to Sadi's kibble or she just inhales it....and then stops breathing :jaw ...I find that when it is wet it slips down easier.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

I only ever feed plain dry kibble if I think they might still be hungry when they 'shouldn't' be. I figure if they're really hungry they'll eat it dry, if they're not, they'll leave it. That's always worked for us.

Normally, Sid will get his kibble mixed either with a portion of commercial wet food like canned Butcher's Tripe, or with a home-made stew, or just a pot of plain yoghurt or cottage cheese - or sometimes a can of pilchards or sardines in oil.

Personally, I don't think dry kibble does anything for cleaning teeth, because they hardly chew it anyway. They get much more mileage out of a hard, long-lasting chew treat like dried tripe or a pig ear, venison trachea or whatever. I agree if you feed mush it's worse for their teeth, but if you clean them and/or give a chew treat afterwards, it's probably not going to affect them too badly.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I add water for the simple reason to slow them down. If I give our 2 out of our 3 hounds dry, they eat it to fast and bring it back up in the middle of the living room.

Most of the time they just drink the water before eat the food though, either way it slows them down and they seam to like it. :)