Kibble W/ Or W/o Water?

Guest BunnyBlab

Kibble w/ or w/o water?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Do you float your kibble in water in the bowl or just let them eat it dry?

• I float the kibble in water
    • Just put the kibble in the bowl -- uncomplicated!
    • Some of this, some of that

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tbrodzel

Hi,

I am new to the dog world so I was a bit confused by the post. By kibble are you talking about dry dog food? If your dog eats to fast or coughs while eating it helps to get the dry dog food wet?

I ask because my Brynna eats WAY fast and hacks or chokes while she eats. I put a large mug in the middle of her food dish to slow down her eating, but she still coughs. Would adding water help her slow down?

Cool, I can honestly say I have never heard of this before. I SO love this forum. I learn new stuff everyday.

Thanks. :)

There are times the girls get dry kibble, some nights they get their kibble mixed with canned food and other nights it gets mixed with gravy

Guest tbrodzel

Since reading this post yesterday, I started soaking Brynna's dog food in warm water for a few minutes before giving it to her. She LOVES it!!!! AND she hasn't hacked or choked once since I started wetting the food.

Thanks so much for the tips.

Guest earlkattangrey

Water added just enough to float the food, Grizzly Oil, and a T of yogurt. It started because Kattan bolts his food, but then I figured Meeve probably would appreciate the fuller feeling with the water added.

Hi,

I am new to the dog world so I was a bit confused by the post. By kibble are you talking about dry dog food? If your dog eats to fast or coughs while eating it helps to get the dry dog food wet?

I ask because my Brynna eats WAY fast and hacks or chokes while she eats. I put a large mug in the middle of her food dish to slow down her eating, but she still coughs. Would adding water help her slow down?

Cool, I can honestly say I have never heard of this before. I SO love this forum. I learn new stuff everyday.

Thanks. :)

Yes, water will help with that :) MAKE SURE your food doesn't have citric acid, which reacts when food is moistened and increases chances of bloat.

Feeding from a muffin tin helps a lot too!

Guest Sunset123

I prefer to give mine dry kibble because I think it's better for her teeth, but I've been adding some water when the weather is hot because she doesn't tend to drink enough water.

I voted "float" - but I don't acutally put that much water in. Just a splash. Like maybe 1/4 cup (but I've never measured).

If I don't add water the dogs gak and hack while eating.

I don't think it does anything to reduce bloat. Grey's aren't that prone to bloat anyway.

Since reading this post yesterday, I started soaking Brynna's dog food in warm water for a few minutes before giving it to her. She LOVES it!!!! AND she hasn't hacked or choked once since I started wetting the food.

Thanks so much for the tips.

Now try just dumping some water in and giving it to her. I don't think it actually has to "soak" , just be wet since they tend to swallow mouthfulls without chewing at all. I think the water helps it slide down the throat. It "sticks" when they swallow it dry without chewing.

NOT that there's anything wrong with your method. :)

Guest BorzoiMom

"Yes, water will help with that MAKE SURE your food doesn't have citric acid, which reacts when food is moistened and increases chances of bloat. "

How is it written on the bag if it is? I've looked over dozens of labels and haven't seen it labeled on any of them.

I'm currently switching to Canadae Lamb and Rice and will be wetting it for my Sr.

• 1 year later...
Guest Lady_Catherine

I do not add water, but Bessie has one of those slow feed bowls. I love the slow feed bowl- it keeps her from scarfing it down! I also add about two tablespoons of plain yogurt.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I used to add water, but I've gotten lazy- I just feed it dry now, and all my dogs inhale their food in seconds. The only exception is my super senior Whippet (almost 15). He gets canned. So did my senior broodie at first, but as her appetite has rapidly increased and her weight has gotten up where it should be, she is on just plain dry now, too.

I took the boyz to the vet this morning for their annual physical. The vet says their teeth look pretty good, "especially for Greyhounds." Alex has some brownish gunk forming on the top of his canines, and the vet showed me how to work it off with my thumbnail. For routine maintenance, he said to feed them DRY food (I do) and brush their teeth every night (I don't do it that often, and he said I am wasting my time unless I do it everyday - so I plan to add that to my nightly routine.) I do not want to put them under anasthesia unnecessarily to do a dental in the future, if I could prevent it.

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).