Kibble W/ Or W/o Water?

Guest BunnyBlab

Kibble w/ or w/o water?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Do you float your kibble in water in the bowl or just let them eat it dry?

• I float the kibble in water
    • Just put the kibble in the bowl -- uncomplicated!
    • Some of this, some of that

Guest BunnyBlab

Do you float your kibble in water in the bowl or just let them eat it dry?

I think I read the water method decreases bloat, but it also probably doesn't do as much good for their teeth, right?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bowiebears

Most of ours have preferred with water, but lately both (we have had 5 total so far), seem to prefer it dry most of the time. Of course is there are add-ins, like yogurt or pumpkin, that goes first.

I add water, but not very much and I don't let it sit, so it is still crunchy.

For T's food, we have to add water for his meds and with one brand, have to let it sit for 15 mins so he get soft mush stuff. I much prefer kibble in bowl, add a little water, put it down for them to eat without waiting.

I add water. I only started doing it when my lab was eating so fast that I was trying different things to slow him down. Then I did it for the others because it seemed they liked the gravy that it made. I only leave the food down for 5 minutes. They eat then or it gets taken up. I do not let it sit and soak. Only once has the food been not eaten and taken up and that was this morning... one of mine ate some choc. chips and now has a tummy ache.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest Energy11

I soak mine in warm water for about (1) hour prior to feeding. They inhale their food. I also mix in either, greens or green beans, pumpkin, yogurt and a little canned food. CARI? Right now, eating brown rice, cooked chicken and a little kibble. **That might change by next week!!!

I add warm water (not too much, just enough to make it like gravy) to their kibble along with my home-cooked concoction (chicken and veggies) and they love it. I'm working on Kevin...his tummy hasn't quite adjusted yet so he's getting kibble with just a little water with pumpkin added in. Once we get that under control, I'll wean over to what everyone else eats.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

I free feed so the kibble is dry, unless I am dog sitting dogs that need structured meals. When the food is always there they eat at thier leisure (usually several small meals) instead of gulping.If you pay attention it isn't that hard to hear them eating and keep track of who is eating when. I have yet to encounter a dog, even muttly strays found starved, that tried to eat everything once they found out the food would be there.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest cgl0909

We used to put water on their food and let it sit for about 5 mins, but I have found that they chew the food better if it is dry. I also think that it is better for their teeth. I would like to hear about feeding dry and bloat. We might go back to putting water in the food.

I don't float the kibble! It's not bobbing for kibble! I put in hot water stir for a few seconds, add a dollup of premuim wet food and that's it! Done.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

i soak the kibble since my greyhound rep. (who is a vet) told me to- to avoid bloat. these are the first pups i have ever owned whose food is moist. i remember boarding my saluki years ago, who wouldn't eat unless the kibble was dry. once i informed them, he was gave him dry and he inhaled it. all of my other pups have had dry kibble and fantastic teeth to the very end. the moist food most likely is attributing to the plaque and tarter build up.

I wet the kibble.

I did notice this when I was on the Dog Food Analysis site, and was like :blink: when I was researching different foods. This was for the Prairie brand of food.

Note this food uses Citric Acid as a preservative and should not be pre moistened prior to feeding (a bloat risk factor for large breed dogs).

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

All the dogs get some water over their dry kibble. Dessie gets the most water, almost floating, as I just don't think she drinks enough.

The dogs who bolt their food, Disco and Dessie, get a smaller bowl of yogurt placed on top of their kibble and it slows them down so they don't eat too fast.

Everyone eats from an elevated feeder also.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest longdoglady

I moisten the dry food slightly with warm water as greyhounds do not produce as much saliva as other breeds which is why they they have such bad teeth.

Guest mirthlesstroll

I don't float my kibble, except for my BMD, who needs more water than she will drink on her own b/c she gets frequent UTIs. I mix in yogurt, pumpkin, and whatever supplements everyone happens to need.

I used to add water to their kibble in the morning (or mix in canned), but lately they have become extremely picky at breakfast and I would end up tossing the mixture since I did not like leaving it there for long. I now give them dry only for breakfast, which they will eventually eat - sometime around noonish. I haven't had any problem with their eating the food this way as it is almost like crunching their biscuits. They do chew the kibble. Then for dinner I mix a can of wet into their dry and for some reason, dinner is always gobbled up instantly. For now, this process is working for us. I am sure next month the scene will change again.

Guest BunnyBlab

Sounds like it depends on the dog. As he's on the Prairie feed for now in foster care (and will be for 2 bags' worth after he comes home), it sounds like feeding it dry is the way to go. Maybe if he's eating too fast, we'll feed him a cup at a time so he doesn't garble it all down like some kinda animal. Oh, wait... ;-)

Thanks for all your help! (AGAIN!)

I moisten the dry food slightly with warm water as greyhounds do not produce as much saliva as other breeds which is why they they have such bad teeth.

Very interesting... Apparently Jacoby had wicked bad teeth, so I'll have to keep an eye on that.

I don't "float" the kibble. I add a little bit of warm water. A tablesppon of canned tripe or sardines and put it down. And really they eat so fast dry kibble would NEVER do anything for their teeth.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest NHgreys

Our first greyhound Joy is a very picky eater and will not touch her kibble unless it is mixed with some canned food (we use Evangers/Merrick). Red will eat it plain with a little water, but we put canned food in hers too so she doesn't feel slighted :)

Normally I add a little bit of warm water to their kibble and put it down for them immediately. I first started doing this to slow them down, but they seem to cough it up less now with the water so I've just continued it. Although there are days where I just give them the kibble dry. I guess they don't really have a preference, it's more of mom's preference I guess!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I add equal parts water and kibble to their bowls, essentially turning it into kibble soup. It's a good way to get some extra water into them and it prevents the hacky-gackies they so often get when they inhale dry kibble.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg