Severe Vaccine Reaction Vs. Tick Borne Disease

Guest eaglflyt

Guest TeddysMom

All the chemicals and vaccines we are advised to give our dogs just scare me to death. I have finally decided to just do the bare minimum as far as shots and never get multiple shots at the same time. I try to do natural whenever possible for fleas and ticks or for any other minor problems. It just seems that there is so much in the envionment that is ready to "attack" us or our animals and they seem to find more and more things all the time. It is a worry to try to protect our furkids and make the right decisions. I hope I never have to go through what you have Ady, it sounds horrible.

My Gracie had the same reaction to that vaccine. Her pain and the screams......I never want to hear that again. I refused to let any of my other greyhounds get that vaccination.

As a result, or perhaps she was becoming prone to this problem, we now have to have her get a dexamethesone (sp?) when she gets her vaccinations because of focal pain and site swelling. We will keep all vaccines to a minimum in the future.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest eaglflyt
My Gracie had the same reaction to that vaccine. Her pain and the screams......I never want to hear that again. I refused to let any of my other greyhounds get that vaccination.

As a result, or perhaps she was becoming prone to this problem, we now have to have her get a dexamethesone (sp?) when she gets her vaccinations because of focal pain and site swelling. We will keep all vaccines to a minimum in the future.

I'm so very sorry your hound had this reaction, too. Had your vet seen this type of reaction before? Do you know if they reported it to Pfizer, the manufacturer of the vaccine or the US FDA or Dept. of Agriculture? How long did it take your Gracie to recover?

Thank you for sharing your experience with your girl, too. I'm so glad she recovered.

Edited by eaglflyt

How absolutely TERRIFYING. :ohno :ohno I am so very sorry that this happened. Sending lots of hugs and keeping my fingers crossed for your girl :goodluck:grouphug:goodluck :goodluck :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest greytbookert
So that I'm being totally honest, this vaccination wasn't given by our regular vet. Our vet doesn't even stock the vaccine as he has felt the jury is still out on this one. I had called a week ago to schedule her vaccination and that's when I was told that my vet doesn't have the porphyromonas vaccine, or give it at this time. I had researched it online, but evidently didn't specifically search for severe reactions and found mostly positive reports. Also, knowing friends that had hounds that did just fine, I thought it would be the best thing to do.

A vaccination clinic was being held by another vet and their techs in our town. I took Addy to that vaccination clinic for this vaccine exclusively. That's why I am feeling so very guilty. And, honestly, she is the only grey among our adoption group and volunteers that has had any problem at all.

I know I can't tell you how to feel but this isn't your fault and you are not the guilty party! I'm not saying there is a guilty party but you were doing what you thought was right, please don't blame yourself. :grouphug

How horrific, what a horrible experience for you and for your hound. Gosh, I've not heard much about the vaccine, but I'm sure glad you posted this, I will never allow any animal of mine to get this vaccine. I sure hope Ady continues to improve, gosh, what an ordeal for her.

I'm so very sorry your hound had this reaction, too. Had your vet seen this type of reaction before? Do you know if they reported it to Pfizer, the manufacturer of the vaccine or the US FDA or Dept. of Agriculture? How long did it take your Gracie to recover?

Thank you for sharing your experience with your girl, too. I'm so glad she recovered.

I tried to find my original thread about Gracie's reaction but couldn't find it. If I recall correctly, she was feeling almost normal by the end of the 2nd day. My vet had not seen anything like it before. Her screams were horrible and the emergency vet on duty was my least favorite. She didn't want to believe me about the vaccine but found it could be a possible reaction.

Vets sometimes push these new products too quickly. The latest scary thing is Vectra flea prevention that almost killed a friend's littel fluffy dog. Vectra just recently started being marketed by a different name so be cautious if you hear about a "great new flea product". Research first.

Editing to add: Yes, my vet did report if to Pfizer.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Checking on you and your girl this morning.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest eaglflyt

Just some additional interesting information ... in the book "Care of the Racing & Retired Greyhound" in the 2007 edition, the dental vaccine (porphyromonas vaccine) is recommended for greyhounds on page 370. So, I guess most greyhounds must tolerate this much better than our Ady Bea.

Ady is just resting quietly and not wanting to move, but her temp is staying normal thus far. She's watching the National Dog Show from the couch when she's not dozing. I'm sure she wishes I would stop with the thermometer already!

Thank you to everyone again for the prayers and good wishes. Your support has meant so very much amidst this stress and the guilt I have felt in this situation. It's also hard to explain to those that don't understand how much you can love a dog ... and I know all of you understand.

Happy Thanksgiving to each of you ... and hugs to your hounds from Ady Bea and I.

Shelly in OK

I've just now run across this thread. How scary these past days must have been for you! I'm sorry for all that you and Ady have had to go through. It sounds like you've done everything right. Hopefully she'll start feeling better soon and will be back to her old self.

Best wishes to you all. :)

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Thank goodness she is feeling better!

And your words about vaccines are wise ones. Zema has non-life threatening reactions to most vaccines ... but not lepto.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

oh man, how scary!!!!!!!!!!

sooo glad she's doing better!!!!

sending healing hugs your way!!! :bighug :bighug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Ady:noble and kind Bea: blessing

wow what a spectacular girl with an amazingly perfect name!

Shelly, good grief. I can't imagine. geeze. what a rollercoaster ride.

Many prayers for you both. It does look like she has turned a corner for the better.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge