Splenectomy Today For Booker

Booker had his spleen removed today; it was huge. I can't imagine how much weight he has lost as a result.

Now we have to wait to hear whether it was a malignancy or not.

Everything else looked good, but they also biopsied his liver while they were there.

I know money isn't supposed to enter into these decisions, but this was a hard one for me, involving thousands of dollars that I really don't have. I only hope that Booker will make a complete a recovery and enjoy several more years of healthy life. He is 11 years old now, and very, very dear to me and my children.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has gone through a splenectomy with their hound to give me an idea of what kind of recovery I can expect.

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

My friend's greyhound went thru this, he was younger at the time, but then lived to 15+ years!!!

good luck!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

My Patsy had her spleen removed when she was only 6 years old. And my vet said it was the size of a human baby! Patsy did great with the surgery and recovery. Unfortunately, she had lymphoma which spread to her central nervous system, and we had to put her to sleep several months after she started chemo. But this was a situation that was supposed to work out, for every reason, and yet it didn't. The cancer was just too aggressive. I would have done the spleenectomy regardless, though, because it could have burst. I believe that we gave her months of quality time she wouldn't have had otherwise. And everyone who I talked to before the surgery told me of Greyhounds who had their spleens removed and had years and years of quality life.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I remember one of Lisa's dogs had its spleen removed; the pathologists hemmed and hawed over it for a week, trying to decide whether it was cancerous or not. They eventually decided "not," but in the interim I found an interesting paper concerning pseudotumor in the spleen of a dog that kind of matched what Lisa's was going through.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Sending my wishes for a speedy recovery

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Chico had his spleen removed when he was 12 and had no problems afterward. His spleen weighed 5 pounds! He stayed overnite at the vets and when he came home the next day, the first thing he did (before I could stop him) was climb up on the couch.

I hope your boy does just as well as Chico who remained in perfect health until age 14.

Edited to add: The diagnosis for Chico was that his spleen was spontaneously producing red blood cells (I've forgotten the medical term for that).

Edited by Chicocat

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Two of ours had their spleens out - both were 12.

The first was Bruiser. His healing went okay, but he passed away just two months later of osteo. We were not aware of any cancer when we did the spleenectomy.

The second was Cooney. His recovery was super quick, and you could tell he felt better. His was also very large, and the vet said that after they removed it he breathed a big sigh - like he could finally breathe again. He went on for another nine months before we had to put him to sleep due to multiple other old age issues.

Here's hoping that Booker has a speedy and uneventful recovery, and is around for many more years!

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

Praying for a speedy recovery. :grouphug:grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

No experience but lots of prayers for easy healing and only good path reports.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest DylanGospel

Our Rottie underwent a splenectomy, recovered and had a wonderful life. It wasn't malignant, so that was a huge factor. I hope that your Booker has a complete recovery from his as well.

Wishing Booker a complete and speedy recovery.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown