Whitey's Amputation Is Friday

Guest bigorangedog

Guest bigorangedog

Some of you know that we've lost 5 of our personal dogs since February. Three of them had osteosarcoma. We just added Whitey to our pack 3.5 weeks ago, from Rescued Racers. This is his first permanent home in 2 years. A week and a half ago, he started to limp. And he has bone cancer too, the poor little doodlebug.

My others were not candidates for amputation, and this is our first time going through it. I've been on CoG, and on Tripawds, but am still (obviously) scared to death for him. He's 11 years old, and barely knows us. I'm dreading seeing him afraid and hurting.

Right now he feels great. He's on 75mg of Deramaxx a day, and is just starting to feel at home here. He has been running in the yard, playbowing and digging. The meds keep him from limping. But the osteo is there on the xrays and we know that if we don't do it, it's just a matter of time (and not very much time, at that).

We've sent all his xrays, etc to OSU (they should've gotten there on Monday morning) but have not been able to speak with anyone there yet. We left them a couple messages today. We're hoping to talk with Dr Couto tomorrow to confirm that we are doing the right thing, and hopefully they will agree to send chemo for him.

Would love to hear from anyone else who has been through this, especially with an older hound.

You can see lots of pics of Whitey on the MNGR blog, link in my sig. I call him my Small White Dog. :blush

Jen

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many prayers coming for Small White Dog. I have no experience in this but I am glad Small White Dog is with you and you are beside his side through this ordeal. Obviously you have a lot of love for him and he must be able to feel it. Prayers coming your way for you and him. Will be thinking of you. I am so sorry that you have had way too many losses this year.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

I'm so sorry Whitey is going through this and that you are going through this again. Unfortunately with osteo there is no good option; some only suck less than others. I take it among the xrays you've had done are chest xrays and that his are clear? If that's the case and you and your vet feel Whitey can physically manage with three legs then there is nothing wrong with your decision to amputate. Some people will say categorically that they will not; I have only had to face it once, but personally it will always be on a case by case basis for us. In our girl Cosmo's case, she bounced back very quickly from the surgery and got around amazingly well. It was unfortunate that her cancer was so aggressive. It was the cancer that slowed her down in the end, not the amputation at all. Even though we only had 5 months from the time Cosmo started limping, we had more good days than bad and made a lot of wonderful memories together. I would do some things differently, now that I know, but I would still amputate in her case. I'd like to think Cosmo would agree.

For what it's worth, I have read that osteo does tend to be more aggressive in younger dogs, so if you have caught it quickly you may find you and Whitey have a lot of quality time left together.

A couple of things; if you can't get to talk to Dr. Couto, Dr. Marin and Dr. Vilar are very helpful and knowledgeable as well. And as part of Whitey's treatment I would definitely recommend putting him on Artemisinin. I firmly believe it helped us get as much time with Cosmo as we did.

Believe me, I understand everything you are feeling. If I can be of help or if you just want to vent please feel free to PM or email me. Good luck. I'll be thinking of you both on Friday.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

best wishes for you and whitey on friday. he already knows you love him and that you will take good care of him.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Unfortunately, I've had 3 of my 5 greyhounds diagnosed with Osteo. Morgan was our first and 10.5 when his front leg broke from osteo. The choice at that point is either euthanize or amputate. I don't think age was much of a factor with Morgan's recovery. Morgan didn't tolerate opiate drugs which we didn't know about before the amputation. It took us about a week to figure out it was the meds, not pain causing his restlessness. After that he did very well. Chemo was uneventful. He was one of the lucky ones and didn't have a recurrence. He lived 3 more years and we had to euthanize him because of LS, not cancer.

Guest Energy11

No experience with amputations, but lots with loving my greyhounds!

I can totally understand your fear and how you are feeling.

Sending lots of love, hugs, prayers and good thoughts your way!

I just went thru this last month. Dima was diagnosed Sept 21 and by Sept 26 it was obvious she was in pain even on strong pain meds. She chose to take the ramp into the SUV instead of jumping in. She didn't come out at 9:30 at night from the bedroom to ask for her ice cream. She definitely wasn't my Diamond.

I quickly changed plans from going to Dewey Beach to going to OSU. I felt lucky that I'm within driving distance (9-10 hrs).

I had them evaluate her on Thursday Oct 8 and they all said that she's a good candidate to become a tripod. She might have a longer recover because of her arthritis and age.

She had her amputation on Friday the 9th.

I saw her saturday morning and was in tears not from seeing her limbless but because of the look on her face (I just want to warn you about that, not scare you.) I didn't expect it. I expected her to be groggy, mostly asleep, and was expecting bruising and tubes and the like. But it was the look of panic in her face that made me cry. But...be strong!!! It's very short lived. She was adjusting to being 3 legged by Sunday.

All the doctors were surprised when she did so well that they discharged her on Monday!! Dr Couto had estimated a 4-5 day post op discharge as average. She did it in 3!

She travelled back to NJ on Tuesday the 13th. (Lots of bedding in the back of the SUV and I had her ramp, which she was now used to). Her sister Pearl came with us, I left the other two at home.

She was very restless and panted a lot for the first two weeks. But once she was off pain meds, her personality came back completely. She celebrated her 12th BD 2 weeks after her surgery. Yes....I did this to a 12 yr old!

She is now one month post op and she refuses to use the ramp to go into the SUV (I insist for all my girls that they use the ramp to come out). But she demands to jump in. I made a ramp for her to go outside instead of using the 6 steps. But she always had difficulty going downstairs anyway. So she's fine with her ramp on the porch.

Other than not having the stamina to do the walks we used to do, she does about 25% of what they were. She's her old self.

I do have a problem with a stubborn infection that's not clearing up. And Dr. Couto is getting worried about us not starting chemo yet (as am I). But I am at peace with myself even if she succumbs to cancer within the next couple of weeks because I see a very noticeable different in the before and after amputation. She is not in pain now. And even though she really didn't complain before, I saw her personality disappear.

I did not make a mistake. And it reinforces that if I think the next one can handle being a tripod, I will go thru it again.

Good luck. This is going to be a difficult 2 weeks. But..........it really should only be about 2 weeks.

PM me if you'd like.

Mary Pat and Diamond.

Guest vahoundlover

I've never personally had to make this decision. The only advice I have is make sure your vet uses Aminocaproic acid to prevent bleeding problems. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. :grouphug

Sending Whitey lots of loving energy and prayers for surgery and an uneventful easy recovery. :hope May he have LOTS more quality time with his new family. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Jen, I'm so sorry. I can't blame you for being scared. You have had an absolutely heartbreaking, physically and emotionally draining year. I know at this point, you are questioning your decision, which is natural, but try hard not to. As I've said many times (and probably too much), when you are making a decision because you love your dog and are trying to keep him safe and happy and healthy, there is NO wrong decision. Personally, I would do the same thing, but that's not important, do what you think is best for Whitey. I think because he has waited so long for a home (and boy, did he get lucky when he arrived at YOUR home), it is especially sad that he's gotten this horrible diagnosis before he's even had a chance to settle in. I know you feel that he deserves a chance to be happy in a true forever home, and he does. So that is why you are doing what you're doing---to give him the chance that he deserves.

You know that my experience with osteo is not recent, and not the norm. Winnie was 8 when she was diagnosed and had surgery, and we had 3 1/2 years. I believe she was in remission when we lost her to kidney failure. But she was such a tough old girl, wasn't she? And I like to think that she and Crisco are watching out for you and Whitey. I know I'll be sending lots of prayers and white light to your family. And I'll see if I can channel some of Winnie's strength and stubbornness Whitey's way.

I think Tracey and Mary Pat are excellent sources of advice and support. Their experiences are so recent, but very different, yet there is always that common bond when we fight the monster. Though each dog is so individual, the support is the same. I found that CoG was really helpful---haven't been on there for ages, but I'm hoping you will find the same support and valuable information. I learned a lot about the recovery and adjustment period that I couldn't have learned anywhere else (I wasn't on Greytalk back then). I mean concrete, practical stuff, like edema in the other leg(s) being normal (so I didn't rush to the vets like one girl did, only to be told that), that the pain meds often cause that restlessness and panting, that you'll need some rugs if you have a lot of bare floors, that you need to try and get some rest BEFORE he comes home, and that yes, things may seem worse before they get better. But I truly feel that they WILL get better. I feel that Whitey will do fine. And I feel that YOU CAN DO THIS!

I'll be thinking of both of you, especially tomorrow. Please let us know how he's doing, and how you're doing.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I didn't have time to be scared with Darcy because she had her first symptom (leg break), xrays and amputation on the same day. But if there had been time, I'd have been as terrified as you are :grouphug It wouldn't be natural if you didn't feel scared. I suspect that part of the fear will be about what happens after the surgery - and that's very normal and expected too. And I did have time to worry about that!

My only advice at this time is not to look too far ahead and worry about what things will be like. I'd get yourself some Rescue Remedy (seriously) and be prepared that the first few days after surgery will feel very stressful for you but everyone who has been in your situation will back me when I tell you that after the initial few days things really do settle down into a new and 'normal' routine.

We will be thinking of you both tomorrow :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

A couple of things; if you can't get to talk to Dr. Couto, Dr. Marin and Dr. Vilar are very helpful and knowledgeable as well. And as part of Whitey's treatment I would definitely recommend putting him on Artemisinin. I firmly believe it helped us get as much time with Cosmo as we did.

I hope you were able to get a hold of OSU today. I second Tracey in that Dr. Marin is great. Some people have said that they have had trouble with her accent on the phone though. I typically speak to her face to face and have no trouble. I wanted to let everyone know that Dr. Vilar has finished his graduate studies at OSU and is no longer there (I believe he went to University of Michigan). Dr. Urie is now with the group. I have met her but not talked to her at length. I have heard good things about her from others. And guess what? English is her first language!

I am so sorry that Whitey finally got his forever home and then this had to happen. I hope he comes through his surgery tomorrow with flying colors. I will be praying for him.

Jane

We will be thinking postive thoughts for you and Whitey tomorrow!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow