Whitey's Amputation Is Friday

Guest bigorangedog

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dfriedri

Hey Jen

Hope everything is going well with Whitey today!

Star had her first outing today. We are 6 days out. I let her decide and when I touched the car keys she jumped right up!

Just wanted to let you know I was thinking bout you and Whitey!

Guest bigorangedog

Hey guys,

We had a very rough night. No one slept. He was very restless, up down up down up down.... whining, panting, etc. He seemed to just not know what he wanted, only that he was unhappy. He can get himself standing, but can't walk much at all. We support him with a towel, and generally he can hop slowly and unsteadily along. He had full use of the leg pre-amp, so he is having a very sudden adjustment to 3 legs. Our vet said that the balance centers in his brain may still not realize that the leg is gone, and it sure seems like that is true.

We called the vet this morning about the restlessness, and she had us take off the Fentanyl patch (it was due to come off later today anyway) and only give a half dose of Tramadol this AM (he's also got Deramaxx on board). But she thought the Fentanyl wouldn't be out of his system until tonight. To allow him to sleep today, she had us give him 12mg of Acepromazine. That has totally knocked him out and he has been sleeping for a couple hours now. Wishing we had done that earlier, so that we too could sleep while the human child was at school!! But we didn't want to add more drugs to the mix unless told to do so. I think the rest will be good for him, since he must be just exhausted. I know I am!

By the end of tonight, the Fentanyl and the Ace both should be wearing off, and we can see where we are at. Hoping the restlessness subsides and the balance improves with the end of those drugs.

DH is going to take tomorrow off too (since he basically has no choice! haha), and we will see if we can get him moving around a little better. I know he can do it. Even in the past 24 hrs we have seen little bits of improvement in his motion. But it's going to be a rough week, that is for sure.

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Hopefully the change in meds will help him settle tonight. I hope you and DH get rest tonight too.

Keeping up the prayers from York PA

:hope:hope:hope

HANG IN THERE!! It gets better!

Diamond was very restless for the ten days she was on the pain meds. Once off it was like a light switch someone just turned on her personality and turned of the stress.

Diamond also used her leg. She limped, but she used it completely. Never hopped on three legs before her amp.

All I can say is HANG ON!!!

Yep, hang in there! As the pain meds clear his system, he'll start to feel more like himself and adjust to the change in balance. Sending more hugs and prayers for you all. :hope:grouphug And extra kisses for your handsome boy. :kiss2:kiss2

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest bigorangedog

Got more sleep last night, but it was thanks to about 6mg of Ace given around 1AM. Low dose, but enough to get him settled and sleeping until 7AM. Our vet said we had to do what we needed to do to enable him to get rest.

This morning he seems tired but more 'with it.' When you look at his eyes, he actually seems like he is in there. I am betting that we will make some good progress with mobility in the next day or two. Glad to have the Fentanyl gone. We're still on Tramadol, to see how it goes, plus Deramaxx. He still seems tired, and is sleeping now (without any more Ace).

We're not going to use the Ace longterm, it was just to get us through the Fentanyl getting out of his system. At this point, we'll mess with the pain meds, and possibly switch to Gabapentin if Tramadol doesn't work for us. If he still has anxiety, the vet will prescribe a little Valium to help him until he gets used to his new situation.

He is still eating great, which is good. I think mostly what he needs is rest and to build up his strength, and then the mobility will come.

Guest Energy11

Good update. I like the idea of Valium. I an not a huge fan of ACE use in greyhounds, but if it is working, that is good.

As I have previously mentioned, I have no experience with canine amputees, but I do have experience with pain management with OS. Our Max 11.5, had OS, and we used a combination of Deramaxx and Tramadol for his pain management, which was almost three months. During his last weekend with us, (*we sent him to The Bridge on Monday), I had to double the Tramadol. He seemed fine on both.

Lots of love to you and you Whitney! You are definitely in our thoughts. Dee and The Five.

Guest bigorangedog

Diane -- We do have a sling, but thank you SO much for the offer!! I actually sewed him one from a photo I saw online, and it is working pretty well now that he is getting used to it.

Today was a better day. Not nearly as much anxiousness, and when you look in his eyes he is actually "in there." This afternoon he made some good progress on walking. I hold the sling for a little balance, and he goes very slowly, but he is doing much better at supporting his weight and seems to be getting the idea.

We went to the vet tonight for a check. She took off the bulky bandage from the surgeon and redid it with something lighter-weight. She wants that on until Friday or Saturday for compression, and then we can be bandage-free (just a t-shirt). It was the first time I had seen the area, and it did not look nearly as bad as I had thought it might. It's not swollen or red, not oozy, just a long row of staples. So that was good. The vet thought he looked really good. The swelling is down around his chest, although worse in his remaining front leg as all the edema flows south.

On the way home from the vet, he decided he would try to roll onto the bad side, and boy was that a mistake. He laid there and screamed until my husband hopped out of the car (we were stopped) ran back and picked him up. Whitey had no idea how to right himself without the underneath leg there. Hopefully he will learn not to do that anymore until the soreness is gone.

The vet gave me some Valium in case we need it. (DH said, "Great! And what are we getting for Whitey??")

I have to say that I absolutely love and adore my regular vet. She has emailed and/or called me several times a day since the surgery. She's going on vacation next week but gave me her cell number in case I need to talk to her (I already have her home number and have used it). I never would've gotten through this without her.

Anyway, I am feeling like the worst of this is behind us, hopefully. We're expecting to hear from histopath tomorrow and then can figure out what chemo protocol we will do. Glad to be making some progress.

Whitey :kiss2:wub: Hang in there buddy!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Sending lots of calm and good mobility healing thoughts. Your regular vet sounds wonderful.

The vet gave me some Valium in case we need it. (DH said, "Great! And what are we getting for Whitey??")
:lol

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

He sure has made big progress since last night's update, and he looks great!

Kudos to your vet, and to your DH for his humour. Hope nobody needs the Valium tonight. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest bigorangedog

We just had our best walk yet! He was *motivated* -- he had not pooped since Saturday and it was time. Never been so excited to see poop in my life. (Sorry for the TMI, but if anyone will appreciate this it is GT!) He went all the way out to the corner of the yard, faster than he has moved so far, and mostly under his own power (with me holding the harness for balance). I needed to prop him up while he did his business, but overall extremely successful. I am so proud of him! What a little trooper. We have a very long way to go, but we had really good progress today.

:yay

Guest longdoglady

:wub::wub::wub: The photos of Whitey totally melted my heart.

Pooping will make him feel sooooooooo much better, clever boy. :clap

I am very impressed with his sling.

Hope you are all catching up on some sleep :sleepy