Whitey's Amputation Is Friday

Guest bigorangedog

Guest Energy11
Oh Jen, I am sorry that Whitney has an oowie. We hope he has a complete and speedy recovery. Reading threads about amputations makes me worry about the future with my puppy boy. It seems like all greyhounds end up with osteo. Where is OSU? All of this is new to me. I feel for you all. You are far more courageous than I am.

OSU is Ohio State University, located in Columbus, Ohio.

No, not all greyhounds end up with osteo. Cancer is common in all dogs. If a greyhound gets cancer, it is more likely to be osteo. I am not sure of these statistics (maybe someone can confirm or correct): About 25 percent of greyhounds get cancer, about 50 percent of these cancer dogs get osteo. Interestingly, Galgos (spanish greyhounds) do not have this much of an issue with osteo. The question is, do american greyhounds get it because of genetics (most greyhounds are related in some way), is it all the medications they get at the track, or (least likely in my opinion) because of the racing itself. These are some of the questions the docs are trying to figure out in hopes of preventing it.

Jane

Of course, if you have any questions, please contact Dr. Couto. He was in my area Sat., but I am sure he will be back in the office on Monday. couto.1@osu.edu. He usually answers his emails in the morning. Good luck!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4106052049_d71c5f29c1.jpg

4106052061_5e906e2c01.jpg

I'm sorry, but it breaks my heart to see an 11 years old hound with an amputated leg...I only hope that he still

can adjust at his age and that he doesn't suffer too much.

Best wishes for him, he'll be in my thoughts...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

I'm sorry, but it breaks my heart to see an 11 years old hound with an amputated leg...I only hope that he still

I think that's an awful thing to say on someones thread. Feel free to think what you like but sometimes, it's better not to say a word, particularly when you can clearly read that the owner is having a tough time.

And as you will know from reading GT Marion, there are PLENTY of 11 year old dogs - and older - who adjust perfectly well.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Winslowsmom

Wishing Whitey an easy recovery.

Lots 'o good thoughts here!

Love, Winslow

:paw:paw

:paw

PS. Winslow did some wierd stuff the first 2 weeks. After that, everything got much better. Everything is an adjustment. Bevd is right. Plenty of dogs do it.

Winslow's mom.

Guest bigorangedog

Believe me, I hope so too. I spoke with 6 different vets (plus people on GT, Circle of Grey, and Tripawds) during the week before his surgery, and if just one of them had said to me that they doubted he could make it, I never would've done this to him.

As you may have seen in the original post, I have had 3 other dogs with osteo in the past 9 months. And for each of those, I made the "other" decision: manage pain as long as I can and then let them go. Neither are good choices, I can tell you. Whitey's alternative was to get more and more painful over the next few weeks (maybe 3 months at the very most) until either the leg snaps from just walking around, or I can't drug him up enough to keep him out of pain. I've done that enough to tell you that it is no easier than this. At least this surgery, and subsequent chemo, means that he has a chance to run and be painfree again.

I'm sorry for anyone who ever has had to make this decision, or ever will have to.

Jen, thanks for the pics. I was trying to picture what he looked like (before and after amp), but couldn't get a clear idea. Do you have before amp pictures? I'll check out your Facebook page---maybe some there? He is SO very beautiful! I can see why you fell in love with him in such a short time.

I'm glad you have him home, so you don't worry about him at the vets, even though this will be a rough few days. But it WILL get better! Those pain meds can really screw with his system. I haven't heard of anyone using the pain med that Winnie was on---Piroxicam. Our vet said it has some cancer fighting properties, and I've read that someplace else too. It does have side effects, though, even though Winnie never had any. We didn't keep her on it on a regular basis, just after the surgery, then as needed, if she'd had a more physical day. You might ask your vet about it.

I agree that the bandage may be throwing him off balance a bit, but I guess you'll have to keep it on. The front leg amp may be a little harder as far as balancing goes---it's more of a weight bearing leg, so the balance learning curve may be a little longer. And if he's not a real self confident guy, he just may hesitate a little longer. Your house is set up so he doesn't have to do any steps, right?

I totally feel that he could not be in better, more caring, and more responsible hands than you and Lloyd.

And now that I know what his precious face looks like, I can send him even more "get well" thoughts.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Thanks for the pictures. Poor little man. He looks pretty good for what he just went through!

I know once the drugs start to clear his system a little he'll be feeling much better. I take Tramadol

and it totally whacks me out and all I can do is sleep.

Will he eat scrambled eggs?

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

I think it breaks ALL of our hearts to see any dog w/ an amputation. But if it gives Whitey some time to run, play and feel

good then it's a good thing.

What's done is done. I know Jen made her decision based only on what she thought

was best for Whitey. I don't believe there is a right or wrong with this sort of thing most of the time.

There's absolutely no point in saying anything that might make Jen feel bad about her decision. I'm just thankful it wasn't me having to

make it.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

What a handsome little guy he is! :wub:

Praying that he is feeling much better a few days from now, and that he has many many months to enjoy being a spoiled rotten greyhound in your family.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Glad to see your beautiful boy is home. The first few days are the toughest, but your boy WILL be back. As for eating, Cosmo did eat a lot of chicken when she wouldn't eat anything else. We also had good luck with ground meat baby food and pudding cups. A lot of times she would only eat if I was hand feeding her.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest benspop

Your dog is beautiful. A very sweet face! I hope he feels better soon. Hang in there and best wishes to him for a speedy recovery and adjustment. Keep us posted. :)

It's good that he's home. I hope he starts to feel better soon. :kiss2 Whitey.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Guest vahoundlover

I'm glad to see Whitey is home. I'm keeping your handsome fella in my prayers. Don't second guess yourself, you made your decision with love, information and wanting to do what's best for Whitey :grouphug

You are far more courageous than I am.

You do what you have to do. It's not being courgeous, it's about being proactive. It's amazing what you can make happen for your babies!

It's the pups who are so incredible and resilient. I hope you never have to face this with anyone!

I'm glad to see Whitey is home. I'm keeping your handsome fella in my prayers. Don't second guess yourself, you made your decision with love, information and wanting to do what's best for Whitey :grouphug

I remember day 5 after Polli's amp. I called the vet and said what the "F" did I do. I was sure I did the worst possible thing.

I didn't. She was happy and adjusted beautifully. The first 3 weeks were very difficult. If he is stressing, get valium. 10mg. I helped a lot.

Many prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Poor sad Whitey! I hope he gets off the Fentanyl soon: Hurley was dysphoric on that.

I hadn't pictured a front leg amputation in my mind but I send double hugs, double kisses and words of double sensitivity for Whitey! Eat something soon and take a beautiful walk as soon as you are able, sweetie!! It will all be ok now that he is at home.

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Praying for Whitey's quick recovery. I think you will be surprised how quickly he adapts and gets better. My tripod Ivy's picture was featured in the book "Without Regret" because as had the other dogs in the book she had a wonderful, painfree, and happy life post amputation. Love and kisses to brave Whitey! :beatheart