William Is Having Wound Repair Surgery Today

Guest UESBrindle

Guest UESBrindle

I was walking William in the park near us this morning, and he must have seen a squirrel under a bush that I couldn't see, and darted the 4 ft under the bush before I had time to grab a strong hold of the leash . He came immediately back out and had the crook of his front right leg sliced open about half an inch exposing what I think was the bone. My dad is with me visting, so he picked William up and we started waking towards the animal hospital that was luckilly only a handfull of blocks away. Someone with a van came along and offered to drive us the rest of the way-- thank goodness, because he was getting very heavy.

They took him in immediately and checked it out. I am pretty sure he cut it on a branch that may have had thorns on it, because it was such a clean cut that it didn't look like it would have been the squirrle, but we couldn't tell for sure, so he got another rabies shot and they admitted him for surgery to flush and clean the wound and then possibly have to put in a drain.

I feel awful because he was clearly not comfortable at all, and I wish I could have seen the squirrel to know and prepare to redirect him. They told me to call back at 5pm and he should be able to come home tonight. It's been a long day, but luckilly having my dad here made it easier to find things to occupy my time instead of just sitting and waiting.

I am just so nervous about him having to go under- this is the third time this year- once for his neuter andanother for his dental in June. I know everytime there is always risk. :(

Edited by UESBrindle

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elizabeth

We are thinking of William here in NC. Please keep us updated on him.

Amy and Maddie

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Sending well wishes for William....

My vet told us once that anesthetics nowadays are light and recovery afterwards is much quicker than in was the past. Hope this makes you feel a little better.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest Energy11

We have squirrels all over the place here. Some with "death wishes, " as they swing from the trees over our smaller turnout pen!

Wishing William a speedy recovery from the very cool, very fall-like North Georgia Mountains! Tons of hugs!

Aw, poor William and poor worried you! Sending prayers and warm healing thoughts that William will be fine and mended and tucked up in his bed at home this very evening.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

:ohno Oh no! Poor William!! :cry1 :cry1 Glad your dad was there with you when it happened, and that a kind person drove you all to the animal hospital.

I hope the surgery goes well - please update us when you can. I know it's really hard - but try not to worry too much...

Sending lots of good thoughts for William (and you!) :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest mickie37

Prayers for William to recover from this injury.hope.gif

Aren't you lucky first that your dad was there and then a kind guy in a van just happened to be there. Actually sounds like a lot of things are happening in your favor, other than the squirrel.

Mickie

Guest UESBrindle

I just called and checked in. William is on the table now and the vet will call me when she's done with him. They close at 7pm, so I hope he comes out of it ok and we can bring him home tonight. :hope

Oh NOOOOOOOO! We'll be thinking of you and William and hoping for a full and speedy recovery. Let us know when you can.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Elizabeth,

Hoping all goes well for your sweet boy and that he's at home with you tonight. PLease keep us posted. Glad your Dad was there to help! LOts of healing thoughts coming your way......

Jan

Just checking in. Hopefully everything went alright and he's back home recovering...

Update when you can! :):goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

What a miserable scare. Hope surgery has gone well and he can come home tonight. Your dad must be a very strong man. Hugs to him and you both.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest UESBrindle

He is back home and very groggy. The drain is sticking out about 2 inches and the stiches at the crook of the arm I imagine will take a while to heal because it's in spot that moves with every step. I will have an appointment Monday or Tuesday to get the drain out, and then Nov. 5th the stiches will come out. They gave us clavimox for 28 days and for pain they gave us tramadol hydrochloride enough for a few days.

Here is the wound:

P1010046.jpg

The sent him home with a cone, but it was hard to walk with it on, so we took it off and he hasn't been "aware" enough to even bother looking at the area.

The only place he was able to find comfortable to lay down was our bed, so we layed down some surgical mats so he doesn't leak anything onto the bed, so we may be sleeping on the sofa tonight, which is fine as long as he's comfortable.

Here is the patient:

P1010045.jpg

P1010050.jpg

Thank you for all of your good thoughts. I still feel awful, but know we did everything we could to make sure he's on the mend.

Elizabeth

Edited by UESBrindle