William Is Having Wound Repair Surgery Today

Guest UESBrindle

Elizabeth,

I am so sorry for you and for poor William!

Glad you guys are home now.

Thank goodness for the good samaritan who drove you guys the rest of the way to the animal hospital!

Feel better soon, William!! These are for you :kiss2 and :dogcookie :dogcookie :dogcookie

and this is for your mom :bighug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear, he really did a job on that leg. I am so sorry that your family has to go through this. I was going to say that you could put a long stocking, like a knee sock, on that leg to keep him away from it, but seeing the wound, I don't think that would work. You are going to have a long couple of days then weeks here, until he is healed. Hopefully he will let it alone.

You are all in my prayers.

hugs, sue

Poor William, that is going to be sore. I would muzzle him instead of the cone. Just tape the front then put some holes in it to drain any water he tries to carry around. ;) Either that or put some jammies on him if you have them.

Adding a bunch of :kiss2 and some :bighug

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest ChancesMom

Poor William. I am glad that he was able to come home where he can be comfortable and that he was able to find a spot that was comfortable for him. Hugs to you and to him. You will both be in my thoughts.

Oh Elizabeth - that does look nasty. Poor William. Glad he is home with you now and will check back for updates.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Oh poor William. That looks miserable. I hope he has a good night on the big bed!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Poor William, that is going to be sore. I would muzzle him instead of the cone. Just tape the front then put some holes in it to drain any water he tries to carry around. ;) Either that or put some jammies on him if you have them.

Adding a bunch of :kiss2 and some :bighug

Great advice.... I agree muzzles are better than those 'lampshades' and the houndies are used to those anyway from their racing days.

Awww poor baby give him a hug from us here in England. Don't feel too bad Elizabeth accidents happen....

[snowy's Mum]

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest StormChaser

I agree with Snowy's Mum and Foxysmom, cones do not work well with Greyhounds. We bought a muzzle with a "poop cup" attached so Storm can't get at the lick sores she gets on occasion.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for your handsome William.

Thanks for the update. Poor William... that looks rough. :( Fingers crossed for fast healing :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck... and big hugs to you! :grouphug :grouphug :bighug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest UESBrindle

Thanks everyone. He slept until 3:30 this morning and we gave him another dose of tramadol. We were up and down to the kitchen for his meds, and in the process, he decided that he'd rather move down to the air mattress that was at the foot of the bed where he slept soundly until 8:30am (he's normally up at 7 on weekends) and we got our bed back, although we would have been happy to let him stay on the memory foam.

This morning though, his ears were very very cold to the touch so I held them in my warm hands and then put a blanket over his entire body.

We're going to try and maneuver him down the stairs to go out to potty with his harness, so we'll see how he does. He hasn't been out since 7:30 last night, so I'm sure he's ready.

Thank you for the suggstion of the muzzle- we did that instead. I wasn't sure how to put the tape on, so we used a very thin wash cloth and taped that around it on the outside so he couldn't lick and was still very breatheable.

Thanks again for all of your good thoughts. I'll keep you posted on his recovery.

Elizabeth

Hope he can get down the stairs OK for you.

Re muzzle taping, here are some photos of ours. Others might have to tape along the sides further; as shown worked fine for Joseph's abdominal incision. I just use white medical tape and stick it to itself through the holes.

yetanotherview.jpg

bottomview.jpg

sideview.jpg

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

ouch, Poor William.

They gave us clavimox for 28 days ...

You may want to double check the dosing. I think clavamox is usually 2xday for 14 days.

Guest Greytnorth

I have a concern with the idea of the tape over the muzzle. My Elsa had stitched in the very same place that William does (A barb wire fence accident but that's a whole other story) I thought that she would be okay with just the muzzle with a sock at the end of it but she would still rub the muzzle over the area. This caused the area to become contaminated and irritated (even with the bandages) The skin around the stitches died and we ended up having the take the stitches out and let the wound heal from the inside out. Because the wound was so big ( about 2 inches across) it took nearly 2 months for the wound to completely heal over. It required water therapy twice a day and she ended up living in the cone for that 2 months. If you can't supervise him, make him wear the cone. He won't like it, but the wound will heal faster.

Get better soon William :bighug

I have a concern with the idea of the tape over the muzzle. My Elsa had stitched in the very same place that William does (A barb wire fence accident but that's a whole other story) I thought that she would be okay with just the muzzle with a sock at the end of it but she would still rub the muzzle over the area. This caused the area to become contaminated and irritated (even with the bandages) The skin around the stitches died and we ended up having the take the stitches out and let the wound heal from the inside out. Because the wound was so big ( about 2 inches across) it took nearly 2 months for the wound to completely heal over. It required water therapy twice a day and she ended up living in the cone for that 2 months. If you can't supervise him, make him wear the cone. He won't like it, but the wound will heal faster.

Get better soon William :bighug

Or, what about that reverse style cone? I just saw a picture of it on here recently, like within 48 hrs but I can't remember who/which post. It looks sort of like a clown collar. Instead of being a cone around their head, it was more of a shield against the body. It didn't appear to restrict vision or movement... anybody remember this picture please?!? :blush

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest UESBrindle
They gave us clavimox for 28 days ...

You may want to double check the dosing. I think clavamox is usually 2xday for 14 days.

Thanks for catching this-- I meant to say 28 tabs- 2tabs twice a day for 7 days.

He's doing ok with the muzzle. While we're at home and watching him he doesn't have anything on and is doing fine. When we step out he has the cloth-covered muzzle on. Monday morning he'll get the drain out and then we'll put a long-sleeve shirt or jammy on.

He wasn't antsy this morning so he was able to go about 12 hours between meds, so he'll get another dose before bed.

I'm so glad he's doing ok-- and even managing stairs just fine coming up, and with just slight help going down.

Thanks again for all of your god thoughts! Being able to come here and have a support system makes a world of difference. Thank you GTers!