William Is Having Wound Repair Surgery Today

Guest UESBrindle

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get better soon William!

Amy and MAddie in NC

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

I found this web site with a no cone collar. I've never tried one but I'm wondering if it would work.

http://handicappedpets.com/www/index.php/no-cone-collar.html

I have one of those - you can google "Bite Not Collar" for other places to find them. I think that for where the wound is, this kind of collar would be perfect.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Sending lots of :kiss2 and :cookie:cookie to sweet William this morning!

Feel better soon, sweetie!!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I used that collar (the Bite-Not) with my Staghound Callan after his tail was injured at 6 months. It is not foolproof for a determined puppy with a tail injury (although it helped some), but it would work perfectly for injuries to the front half of the body, including the legs. They are very well padded inside so it wasn't all that uncomfortable, and with the way the body strap works it's very secure.

Get well soon William!

Guest UESBrindle

This morning the Vet saw us and took out the drain- it slipped right out once she cut the 2 stitches and just cleaned the area with saline. I put a long-sleve shirt on him to keep the stitches covered, but he was walking very akwardly on the walk back home, so I put his fleece jammies on him instead.

He'll go back Nov. 5th to get the stitches out, so we'll be keeping him on short walks until things are back to normal. He seems to be doing ok otherwise, so she said we can stop the tramadol even if there are some still left in the bottle (and I guess it's always good to have some on hand for the future).

Question:

Does anyone know an easy way to make long-sleve human shirts easy and comfortable for them to wear? I want to keep this as inexpensive as possible, so I may just go to Goodwill and get some I can cut up and reconfigure if I know what to do to them. The jammies he is wearing today would be fine, except I'm worried about him getting overheated because they're fleece all-over, and the vet said we should change the shirt daily.

Thanks in advance for all of your brilliant ideas and suggestions!

Elizabeth

Guest greytexplorer

Elizabeth, where on his leg is the repair? Below the elbow, down toward the foot?

I think what I'd do is measure William from foot to foot, you know, taking into account the width of his back.

Then I would go to the thrift store and find 3 shirts that will accommodate this measurement.

Put both of his legs in the sleeves, and button the shirt down his back (the shirt is essentially on him, backwards)

If the collar is in the way, cut it off.

You can also cut the shirt to fit his curves, or, tie the loose parts with a sash of some sort.

With the weather being chilly, I wouldn't think a long sleeved shirt would overheat him.

Good luck,

Pat

Guest UESBrindle

Ah-ha! button-down shirts! I was thinking of a regular loose long-sleeve shirt that I would put on him like a jammie, but the button-down would be easier to put on and lift up his leg without too much bending.

The stitches are right at the elbow, facing front.

We can't adjust the heat in our building- it's either on or off, and when it's on it can get really warm, so I left a very small crack in the window so it won't get too hot for him in the fleece, but I just wanted something a little lighter- I think I'll look tonight for some flannel buttom-ups at the thrift shop.

Thank you Pat!

Guest greytexplorer

and it's the front leg, correct?

I think a flannel shirt is a great idea, too, very soft, and they are worn, which makes them even softer!!!

Be sure to take that measurement, because a 3X would be too big, and a toddler2 would be too small ;)

Guest UESBrindle

Yep, front right leg.

How do I measure? I would say foot-to-foot across would be about 8-9 inches. When I had the regular Medium long-sleeve on it seemed to bunch up at his "armpit" so I'm not sure how to make it just right, although I'm happy to cut and re-sew if thats what it'll take.

I'll be heading to the Goodwill on my way home, so I won't be able to measure before I buy them. What size have you found works for your girls? William is 74 lbs if that's any indication of his size. I was thinking an Adult M or L would work, but I would probably just roll up or cut the sleeves so they don't hang over his feet.

Guest greytexplorer

OK, I just measured Ester (she's my big girl) and she measures 52 inches from left foot, up and over, to the right foot.

When you go to the store, hold the arms of the shirt out and measure. Of course, if the shirt sleeve is too long, you can always cut the cuff off. Might not be a bad idea anyway.

Guest Energy11
They gave us clavimox for 28 days ...

You may want to double check the dosing. I think clavamox is usually 2xday for 14 days.

Thanks for catching this-- I meant to say 28 tabs- 2tabs twice a day for 7 days.

He's doing ok with the muzzle. While we're at home and watching him he doesn't have anything on and is doing fine. When we step out he has the cloth-covered muzzle on. Monday morning he'll get the drain out and then we'll put a long-sleeve shirt or jammy on.

He wasn't antsy this morning so he was able to go about 12 hours between meds, so he'll get another dose before bed.

I'm so glad he's doing ok-- and even managing stairs just fine coming up, and with just slight help going down.

The long sleeve shirt or jammies are a good idea. You could also get a long tube sock, and cut the foot out of it, and put that over the wound, gently taped on both ends. Good Luck!

Thanks again for all of your god thoughts! Being able to come here and have a support system makes a world of difference. Thank you GTers!

Guest greytexplorer

estershirt1.jpg

Elizabeth,

That old flannel shirt is a man's Large, and it is 100% cotton. And old. And soft.

I tied up the shirt corners into a knot on her back to take up the slack.

I rolled up the sleeve in a cuff at her ankles, but I think I would just cut the cuff off to avoid the bulk.

Does this help?

Guest UESBrindle
Ester said she would like to see pictures of William being tortured modeling his hospital gown. ;):lol

Tell Ester to check back in tonight or tomorrow once we have success! :lol:lol

Guest UESBrindle

Oh Ester--Check out the male model of nursing gowns! :lol It does fit MUCh beter than what I was trying to use before.

P1010061.jpg

We had to give him some more tramadol because he was limping noticably on his evening and night walk today. We only have one more dose, so I'll have to call the vet tomorrow to see if we can get some more.

Tonight he wouldn't go down the stairs with me- I think he's either afraid of not being able to support himself and fall, or it's just too painful, but when Rob came out, he walked right down for him-- so I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing/not doing, or if he feels safer with Rob, but I don't know what else I can do to ease him down-- the only thing I can think would be to up the pain meds so it's easier for him.

Hopefully he will be better with the stairs by Friday because Rob is leaving for a business trip, so I can't just have him come and walk him down for me to take out, but luckilly that's a few days away.

Edited by UESBrindle