We're Back From Osu

Sorry I didn't update earlier. It's been one heckuva week.

Okay, here's the good news:

We arrived at Jane's house Wednesday evening. Thursday Dima had a 10 AM appt. She was checked, double checked and tripled check to make sure she could survive and thrive as a tripod. Dr. Couto, the surgeon and the orthopods all said that although she does have an arthritic wrist and back toes, she is an extremely healthy/young 12 yr old (well I should be fair, she'll be twelve in a week and 1/2...Oct 24).

They all agreed and supported the decision for amputation. Otherwise I was looking at crating her until she either broke her leg or had mets. I have a dog door and Onyx (the 14 yr old) and Pearl, who's on lasix both need that door during the day. And no way would I leave Diamond to run around outside and chance breaking her leg while I was at work. She's claustrophobic.......so the crate would not be quality time.

So.........Friday morning she had her surgery. Jane (joejoemom) and I sat in the waiting room from 7 til 3:30. I knew we won't be seeing Dima anymore once she went in, but I wanted to stay until the surgion came out. He said the surgery went exceptionally well. No complications. We could visit for 5 minutes at 8 AM in the morning. So we schlep home which is about a 40 min drive. At home I give Pearl her heartmeds only to find out that I missed her morning doses. So I give her her evening meds and call her cardiologist to see if I caused problems by missing her meds. Should I go get her BP checked. Jane was on the phone to OSU to see if anyone was still there to do a BP. Well Pearl's nurse was useless "you can get her BP checked if you want". That's not exactly what I was looking for. If I'm going back to OSU I want to know if I need to go, not if I want to go. But since Pearl was behaving fine, actually she was feeling quite good we decided not to go all the way back. Since Jane and I were both exhausted, we decided on pizza. We also wanted a salad which Papa John doesn't have. (huh?) So I put Pearl into my car and Jane and I go off for salad and a pizza. I am having a lot of trouble shifting. So much so we pulled off and I tried to find a place where I could add fluid to the standard tranny. There isn't any, we limp home and switch to Jane's car.

Now we're running late because I was on the phone to my Toyota dealer who had JUST worked on the car the day before I left for OSU. But, it wasn't related.

We tried to find a supermarket with the saladbar still available. Found none. So we just picked up the pizza (over an hour later) and go home.

Now.........remember........before we left, I was all upset that Pearl missed her morning meds and both Jane and I were busy calling around to see if that would cause a problem.

We walk in the door to find my daily pill doser on the floor with SOME pills. The rest were inside one of Jane's whipadors (whippet/labrador). After calling her vet, we opted to rush to OSU, where little Shelby spent the night. Her BP at times going down to 60. Dog BPs are the same as humans....should be around 110 or 120. (Pearl's is running around 170 right now.....thus the meds.)

We didn't leave OSU til after midnight. And the only timeslot to visit Dima the next day was 8 AM. I had to drag Jane there because my car wasn't working.

So up early the next day, drive to OSU. Jane picks up Shelby who was none the worse for wear, and I was visiting Dima.

I was prepared for ugly bruising, the loss of Dima's limb, but I wasn't prepared for the look on her face. It was of shock and a little panic that something was terribly wrong. She was missing her front leg. That bothered me a lot. I don't know what I was expecting, but I didn't expect that.

So.......I'm upset about Dima. I'm upset about Shelby getting into my girl's meds (luckily I brought enough to take care of the loss stuff for Pearl). I'm upset about the car which now I have to go fix.

We get home and Jane recommends her fixit man which was not the dealer. I know dealers are way more expensive. I leave the car not knowing if it's a minor thing or a major $4000 tranny rebuild.

But.........we were both beyond exhausted and went home and napped.

(in case you forgot, this is still only Saturday)

The guy calls in midafternoon and for once my luck starts to change. I just have leaking cylinders in the stick shift. I got away with only $350 bill and the car working good as new.

Sunday actually started to improve the week. Dima looked much better (she was still in ICU and I could only visit for 5 min at 8 AM). But the vet students were telling me that she was dragging them down the hall. She was adapting very well. But because she wasn't eating, she wasn't leaving ICU. I was looking at Tues as the minimum discharge date. But I don't care. Dima seems to be doing well. That was my concern.

I was told they would contact me Monday morning to let me know what time would be good to visit, because we weren't sure if she would be in ICU or the "step down" or in the ward. But it would probably be around 4 PM. So I get the morning call on MOnday and they said Dima was being discharge at 4. I was shocked. I wasn't expecting that. But she was doing SO good they felt she could go home. All the doctors were very surprised at her recovery too.

So, not only did she not have an extra long recovery, she actually had an extra short recovery.

I pick her up, get all the instructions and we head out the door (to the now working SUV). Let me tell you.......Dima was definitely ready to go home. She pulled me out the door. And luckily we had been working the ramp so when we got to the car she didn't try to jump, she was waiting for the ramp. She had to work a little but we basically got her into the car without any problems.

Tuesday morning, we had a 7:30 checkup with Dr. Couto (let me tell you, this guy's a saint. He came into see me on days where he was not suppoesd to be in clinic). We went back to Jane's, packed the car, had a leisurely breakfast.......then headed home.

It was a long 9 hr drive, but Dima slept thru it all, just getting up and shifting position occasionally. We had one stop where they got out and she did great doing the ramp with just me helping. (and she pooped..........the last time she did was Friday on the surgery table).

We were home by 8:30 at night and she got to her bed and collapsed........with a big sigh.

She was restless thru-out Tues night. I kept her collar on so I could hear her, but I was so exhausted I didn't hear her leave. She actually went out the dog door (which I never suspected she would do without retraining!). She somehow maneuvered the stairs and was outside doing whatever she felt she needed to do. I'm not sure why, but she's panting a lot, which I think are the meds, and she slept the rest of the night out on the porch (with Onyx).

But I'm uncomfortable with the stairs so I am forcing her to do the ramp. HOpefully she do them without thinking the stairs first.

This morning I helped her down the ramp with the sling Jane made for her (Thank you Jane.....it works GREAT!) then I let go of her. She went off and did all her business hopping around with little trouble. She actually ran back to me and I had to tell her to slow down.

So.......you all probably remember how I worried and fretted over the decision. How could I do that to a 12 yr old?

Well.........Diamond, under no uncertain terms, has let me know, I did the right thing. Even if there are mets within the next 2 months (and not the year like I'm hoping for), I did the right thing. She's recovery so fast, it was worth it.

And here's a special THANKS!! to Jane for fostering me. Aside from the little bitty incident where I almost killed her dog, I couldn't have survived the long weekend without her. She was there the whole time with me when Dima was being evaluated and operated on. She was there to help find a place to get my car fixed. I don't think I could have done it without Jane being there.

If anyone has to go thru what I did this weekend. Going to OSU from out of state. Take Jane up on her offer to help. She have a network of people who will help out.

So..........there you have it. Dima is resting quietly next to me while I worked from home today. (and tomorrow). The bruising is all gone. The sutures are clean, dry, normal color and healing well. She gets them out next week (probably on her 12th birthday!) and will start her chemo. She has 5 sessions every 2 weeks.

Thank you GT for all the white light and prayers.

And who could *possibly* take an itty bitty incident where your houseguest almost kills your dog amiss, right? Glad things are going well and thank heavens for good folk!

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Guest mcsheltie

I am so glad to hear good news! And I want to thank you so much for this. DH & I have spent a lot of time talking about "what if". Your experience has helped me and I bet a lot of others too!

Mary Pat, I'm sitting her amazed. You survived!

I am thrilled that Dima is doing so well. She gives me faith to keep going. I'm hoping she will consider writing a few words when we start the 4th Annual Miss Nellie Auction thread. People need to see what this is all about, hounds like Diamond who have such courage and determination to make it.

Diamond, you go girl, show us what Hope is all about.

Mary Pat, Dr Couto is a saint isn't he? I wish we could clone him, either that or I am moving to Ohio. :lol

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Wow! I'm so glad Diamond is doing so well. Something good had to come out of that weekend! Glad you're home and she adjusting so very well.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Wow, for such a godawful beginning, I can't believe how well this has turned out so far! Outstanding! :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Wow, what an ordeal! I am so glad to hear how well she is doing...continued prayers (even if they're not needed) :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Wow, what an "adventure". I am glad to hear that Dima is doing well. I hope you have a much smoother time ahead of you.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Wow, what an ordeal. I'm glad both Dima and Shelby are doing well. Sending prayers for a less-eventful recovery.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest budsmom

Wow! I'm so happy to hear that everything turned out so well. :yay I have heard nothing but great things about Jane and OSU. They both helped GPA-WI with one of our dogs and without Jane's help I'm sure Tattoo wouldn't have been able to get to OSU. Tattoo's parents met her and can't say enough nice things about her and she was kind enough to donate to our annual fundraiser in Tattoo's memory. You go Diamond - show us all how it's done!!!

OMG :( :( :( Glad she's doing okay and resting! will continue to send prayers!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest greytexplorer

:clap WOW :clap

Good on you, Miss Dima!!!

And thanks, Mary Pat, for the detailed story. I really enjoyed reading that!

Now, where are the pictures? :rules

I'm exhausted from reading about your adventures! I need a nap. :yay ....for Diamond! You go, girl! Sending white light, comforting hugs and prayers for long days, peaceful nights and lots of opportunities to make memories.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Energy11

Such a lot to handle! Glad everyone is doing fine. Yes, I, too, among many, think Dr. Couto IS A TRUE SAINT! I wish more HUMAN docs were as dedicated!

Good luck and lots of love from me and Our Five!

:grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I'm so glad everything improved and that you're both doing so well :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Diamond, under no uncertain terms, has let me know, I did the right thing
:bighug And best wishes to the two- and four-legged Ohio team members.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Mary Pat, what a story. I am so glad she is doing so well (knock on wood). May she continue to heal and get better and better and stay that way for a long time.

What a story. Hoping all the "ordeal" parts are well over and girlie continues to do well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.