Why Is This Happening?

Guest bigorangedog

Guest bigorangedog

Today my beloved Sly had a heart attack and died. He was playing with his bunny, came over to bop my hand with his head for pets, and did his wiggle dance to go outside. I put him out, came back to check Crisco who was just diagnosed with cancer in his spine, and went back out for Sly just 30 seconds later. He was down on his side, at first I thought he had laid down in the grass but he never does that. I ran out to him, he was struggling to breathe. I pried his mouth open but couldn't see anything choking him. I literally dragged him across the yard to the van. I am 100 lbs and he is 80, and I cannot lift him. I drove like a maniac to the vet, running red lights, but I could tell he had stopped breathing in the van. They couldn't bring him back.

We've only had him 5 months. He was PERFECT. We loved him so much. He had finally found the family who would keep him forever and love him.

Tanner, my heart, died in February after a hard battle with bone cancer.

Annie, our little girl, was diagnosed with bone cancer days later and died in April.

Abby, our schnauzer, started having seizures andwas diagnosed with a brain tumor. Eventually we couldn't control the seizures and she left us in August.

On Friday we found the cancer in Crisco's spine. Crisco is my best friend, my soul. He has a month or two to live.

We drove out to Michigan to get Sly after Tanner died because I needed someone to help get me through it. And Sly was wonderful. He made me smile even today, even while I sat by Crisco and tried to come to terms with the idea of losing him. Sly chattered his teeth, and poked me with his nose, and did his funny wiggly walk. He was irresistable. I thought that if I had Sly, I could get through losing Crisco.

Now, I don't know how I will do it.

If you read this in a book, you would think, "That's just too crazy -- that would never happen in real life." I wish I could wake up from this. It just can't possibly be real.

I love you my little Sly dog.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:brokenheart I am so sorry for your loss, one never knows what these pups went through before they came to us, you gave them a wonderful life, even if only for a short time, and they were happy!

Guest oldNELLIE

That is too much for one family!

I am sorry for your loss. I wish you and Crisco the best over the next few months and I hope you are able to find some peace in the days.

:f_red I am so very sorry, and no matter how long they stay, it would never be long enough because of how much we love them.

God speed Sly, knowing how very much you are loved

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11
We've only had him 5 months. He was PERFECT. We loved him so much. He had finally found the family who would keep him forever and love him.

That is a very important point!

I've said how many times: they stay as long as they need to, not as long as we want them to.

:grouphug

That is how it was with Dasher. He was only with us eight months, but he was happy.

We soooo terribly sorry for all your losses, so so sorry, but, I am sure your babies were happy, very very happy, with you!

Hugs from Dee and The Five :f_white:f_white:f_white:f_white:f_white

Guest PhillyPups

I am so very very sorry for your loss and I know your pain.

The only consolation I have from losing my Runner so suddenly is that he went doing what he loved the most and with me at his side and did not suffer - Sly knows he was so very loved that is the true gift you gave him.

I know words seem so trite at the depths of the pain, just know we are with you.

Run with the angels Sweet Sly you are with some of the very very best ~

:weep I am so sorry :weep

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I'm sorry about Sly and your other recent losses. I lost 4 dogs from July 2008 to March 2009. I know how you are feeling. Hugs to you.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Oh I am so sorry. I opened this thread thinking it would be about your Crisco. :( What a terrible sudden loss of Sly. I wish you strength & peace in the days ahead. Godspeed Sly! f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I am so very sorry for your losses. If it is any comfort, he died outside, in the sunshine, playing with the toys he loved.

I am moved to tears by your post.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am so very sorry. :cry1 I don't have any answers. Only tremendous sympathy...

Godspeed Sly.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)