1. 1. How many greys do you have?

• More than 3
    • I'm currently greyless

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greytloves

Right at this very moment my Lucy is giving me the look of "Why can't I be an only dog?" as our foster puppy is doing the non stop squeaking of a toy and running around the house like he is crazy!!!!

Long before the last five, Bambi was an only dog for quite a while and was fine. In sixteen years, the dogs have lived with fosters, up to five indoor kitties, three bunnies and an iggy. Outside, they're the "yeah, a squirrel; whatever", type. The dogs like each other here, sleep on top of each other and all but I think they'd do well alone, too. The ones who don't go after small furries would be great in your home. Hope the perfect Greyhound finds its way to you. Best wishes!

I had one grey for 6 weeks and he was fine... BUT he was much better with 2! Now we have 4 and would have more if we had the the time for more!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Flossie was an only dog for 5 yrs. she was fine, I worked a full time job away from home. When I would come home we spent a lot of quality time together. Going for walks, Meet & Greets, the park, car rides, playing and of course cuddle time. 2 1/2 yrs ago I adopted Kerri, she was a bounce after being an only dog for 4 yrs in her previous home. They both get along fine. I think Flossie could care less if she was by her self, but I think Kerri would be lonely if Flossie wasn't around. Flossie is the leader and Kerri is the follower :)

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

Guest D_MansMommy

We had Donovan for 5 years before we adopted TC. Donovan did ok on his his own but with TC he is sooo happy. They are best friends. We also have two kitties and they love their big "brothers" and vice versa :)

What a consolation to see so many one hound homes! We have only Wendy right now, but I would love to adopt one more. Money is always the issue. Space not so much...these big dogs seem to take up very little space indoors and our yard is not huge but can certainly accommodate one more doggie.

<sigh> Maybe someday.... :gh_face

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest Harry702

I think it totally depends on the dog. Some dogs really prefer to be the center of attention. Others could care less about another dog in the house.

Truthfully, we were seriously thinking about getting another greyhound companion for Harry, but it really doesn't look like that's going to work out. While I think he'd benefit from a more outgoing, confident pal... ultimately, he does just fine as the only dog.

Guest houndstooth4

I think it really just depends on the dog. Some are very content to be an only pet and others need companionship. We currently have four, but only one of them would have a hard time being an only dog.

Guest 3greysinPA

Right now, We have 3 greys... and If I had my way... we would have one more...

You just cant have an odd # of greys in the house.. I told the DH we need 4!

You KNow ... To make it even!! Jeesh !!! I cant understand why he doesnt get it. :lol:lol:lol

Guest BunnyBlab

Once again, you guys are awesome. Thanks so much for the info. Sounds like (with everything else!) that it really depends on the individual dog's personality. Looks like I'll have to be really specific in what I want/need for our home!

Thanks again!

I have had 2 greyhounds, one at a time. Both were / are only dogs, and just fine with it. My house isn't big enough for 2 big dogs. I wish it was, but it isn't.

Hijacking for a sec, pshaw! I have 3-4 in my 1 bedroom condo!!! Can't afford a second, don't have the energy to care for two, okay, but house isn't big enough? :shakefinger;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

My only girl is perfectly happy....I would have more but I couldn't really bear the cost of potential vet bills for more than one at the moment. My girl has lots of friends both Greys and non-Greys but she is happy to come home and have her Mummy and Daddy all to herself ;)

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

I only have one. Gretchen is fine on her own. She's very attached to me because I work from home, but when I go out, she generally goes to sleep. She has a "best friend," my sister's black lab, and she always seems happy to see her. Last month when I had a broken toe, my father came to pick her up to stay with him for awhile because I had trouble doing all the walks. He has a much larger place than I do, plus a dachsund and a fenced in area. I think she enjoys herself there.

He suggested that I think about getting a second grey (I think he actually wanted to keep Gretchen, who he called an "angel"), but I only have a small apartment and can barely fit Gretchen's food bowl in my kitchen. Also, it's very expensive to have a dog. I spent over $4,000 when Gretchen had her stroke. AND I think I might have trouble walking two dogs.

I have 3 greys, a mini schnauzer and 2 cats! I got my first grey as a companion for my schnauzer. 6 weeks later I adopted her littermate - couldn't resist getting a littermate. Boo Zsee looked at her sister and the look on her face was "I thought I got rid of you!" :P

I had them for almost 2 years, went to our group's picnic and came home with a lighter shade of brindle! There are times I think I am crazy (other times I know I am) when I am stumbling over dogs in the morning but I wouldn't trade them for anything. I am sure Boo Zsee would love a few less greyhounds but they all get along.

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer

We had one Grey for four years before we got a second one. He did OK but was MUCH happier when we got the second one it made me feel badly for waiting so long. He did not like to be alone. He had separation anxiety so badly that it was kind of our last resort and it worked. Our son moved out of the house then he was left alone a lot more often and he LOVED being around another Grey. He has since passed away in April of this year and we went out about 6 weeks later and got another one. He will never be replaceable to us, however my husband and I and our other grey were so lonely and feeling so sorry for ourselves missing him so much we felt it was the best thing to do.

I do agree with the posts on this that there are Greys out there that are totally fine alone. Work with your adoption group and learn as much as you can about each dog before you bring it home. We work full-time and live in a Condo and still have no problem with 2 Greys. We also felt like we were already living the lifestyle with one, adding another one didn't affect us that much, well except the pocketbook. :) Well worth it though.

On weekend mornings we have one Grey on each side of the bed kissing us and saying, "good morning I love you!" :):):)

Good luck!

Guest BroccsMom

I had one grey for a year before we chipped. He was perfectly happy being an only dog, and while he enjoyed the company of others, was always glad when our grey visitors left. That said, when we brought his half sister over for a home visit, he acted completely goofy and was playing around with her like we'd never seen before. I think there are a lot of greys that are great being an only dog. Some might like another for company, but I think it would depend on the dog. Good luck!

No hard fast rule - depends on the dog. I was very concerned getting Opie that he would be unhappy being an only dog, since he lived with others in his foster home. But he is a pushy big boy, demanding of attention, and he has settled in beautifully being an only dog. He does not have SA, of course a bit at first, like all new dogs. But as soon as we did away with his crate (like the first week!) he was fine. My concesssion to him was to let him sleep on the couch. I originally didn't want animals on the couch (silly me, didn't know the joys of cuddling with a greyhound!), but since he is such a good boy when he is alone I just cover the couch with a flannel sheet.

Opie gets lots of stimulation - we play with him, he goes on long walks each day, and to the dog park at least once a week. We take him everywhere, even just to go to the store for a ride. And yes, we do work, but usually are not gone for longer than 8 hours, usually less. DH is also in a band, so oftentimes on weekends we will be gone on a weekend night.

So if you are matched with the right dog, should be no problem. :colgate

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest BrisBrindles

I had 1 for 2 yrs before I got my second..though Tiger would have been just fine being the only dog. We did start fostering after about 10 months, but that was because Tiger is so quiet that it's almost like not having a dog at all when he's by himself.

He's a very independent boy who would be just fine all alone. For many, being alone after so many years with other greys it's just too much...but then again, there will always be a few who are just fine with being alone.

As I said before, Tiger is cool being the only dog. He actually shows me more affection now that Henry is here. Perhaps it's because Henry is an attention whore? I'm not sure, but Tiger doesn't act like he's pining away for attention he just comes to me seeking affection more than he used to.

Henry would probably go nuts by himself = mostly because he loves attention whether it's from me or Tiger. He has tons of energy, loves to race around the back yard with Tiger and they steal toys from each other constantly. Henry will also lie on the couch and stare at me as I sit in my recliner reading or watching tv. He loves to lie there and be petted.

I have a 2000 sq. ft. house. I have 2 cats and 3 greyhounds (2 I own, and 1 I foster).

One thing to note, It is going to be very difficult finding a greyhound that will not want to eat your bunny. I am speaking literally. My boy Bart has had a few meals of bunnies in our back yard. Not impossible, but very difficult. Just to let you know.

You should meet my Ben :lol rabbits are pretty safe

Ok back to the original topic...greys don't need large yards...just ask all of the owners who live in apartments :colgate Plus they can curl up into tiny little beings...or stretch out and take up lots of space :lol

Edited by greytpups

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Phoenix was an only dog for a few years and was fine. i added a second for me, not for him :)

edited to add that my house is under 1000 square feet and is plenty big enough for two hounds and a cat. i also think that walks are more important than yard time.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest mtnbluebird

Greyhounds are addictive!!! We got one and 5 months later got another, NOT because Folsom wanted a cuddle companion, but because one was so good and two could only increase the goodness factor :-D In fact, Folsom and Stratocaster only tolerate each other, they definately do NOT cuddle. But they both love us and we love them.

Guest FatCatSkinnyDog

Rajah is an only dog... he seems to prefer it that way. We really wanted another and thought he would like a friend. We had another boy in the house, briefly, and Rajah stayed away from him as much as possible. He was an attention hound and Rajah is a bit reserved. The other boy is now in the home where he belonged all along and Rajah is happy by himself.