One Grey Okay?

Guest BunnyBlab

How many greys do you have?  

581 members have voted

1. 1. How many greys do you have?

• More than 3
    • I'm currently greyless

Guest bonniesbullet

I agree with a lot of what's been said already. We've had Bullet for 8 years and he has been content to be the only dog. He's confident and when we would go to play group, he would spend more time with the humans! We do a lot of greyhound events and he likes to see the other dogs, but he doesn't "need" another dog to be happy at home. He also lives with 3 cats so he does have other companionship at home. We've just been talking about adding another (he's 12), but will probably let him live the rest of his life as the in the spoiled manner that he's become accustomed to! :colgate LOL!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

We have only had one grey and she was an only dog for almost 12 years. It never seemed to bother her. In the early years, she had two cats that she used to chase for sport, never did anything to hurt them though. I think it really depends on the dog. One of the reasons that my wife doesn't want to get another dog is that she feels we could never get another perfect dog that is happy to be on thier own. I am not convinced.

Edited by Scottandjo

• 2 weeks later...

Simba did fine as an only dog for over six months. It was me that wasn't doing so well with an only dog, and I haven't regreted bringing home a second hound for a second.

Guest TBSFlame

QUOTE(twhitehouse @ Sep 16 2009, 04:36 PM) 4211604[/snapback]I hope you adopt soon. smile.gif Adopt one...see how it goes. You never know, you may want another right away anyway! lol.gif

OMG, our house will explode if we have more than 1 big dog! Or my brain will! I'm used to animals under 6 pounds (bunnies). Even my 9-lb. cat seems enormous to me!

If we had a bigger yard, it may be a difft story. The house itself is pretty large, but the fenced yard is teeny.

Thanks for the input, though. The more info I have the better decision we'll make...

Everyone remember this statement when she just has to have another one. :) I don't think they are so big. lol. My son has a dane, now those are big dogs. Our first greyhound was an only grey for 5 years. We now have 5 and I love having a pack. I met a lady at the vets a few months ago who wanted to know how I did it. I told her if it were another breed I could never have 5. Greys are just so easy....at least mine are.

We had one grey for 18 months before adding a second one and Chauncey did fine being the only dog, in fact I think she would be happy being the only dog, we added a senior girl and if she goes before our first, we will see how Chauncey does, if she does okay being an only dog again it may stay that way, at least for awhile

• 2 years later...

It truly depends on the dog. Our first try at rescuing a grey did not go well, our group's behaviorist said we had done everything she would have suggested and the best thing was to returnn her to be with a pack of dogs so she would not. be alone. She just could not adjust to being an only.

When we left the foster home heartbroken, they sent us back with an older, more confident bounce and he has been a happy only doggie ever since! He's more of a people dog. He gets worked up when we come home, but it seems he mostly naps or gnaws on s bones or kongs and then naps some more while we are gone. In fact, a neighbor's female grey has a crush on him, and gets a bounce in her step when we take walks together, but he seems largely indifferent if not annoyed by the fawning. What he wants is lubbin' from his "peeps" as all the human neighbors seem to know and love him!!

For the record, we used caution, muzzles and suggested ways to introduce both greys to our guinea pig. She bit each one on the nose and established herself as the alpha cavy in the household, and both greys stayed far away from her after meeting. She is so fierce she refuses to believe she is snack-sized!

Even still her home is up high and out of the way. Use caution to shield your bunny, but there are dogs with lower prey drives, we've met two!

We have two greyhounds currently. Truman came a year and a half after we got Henry. For us, it was the best decision to wait so that Henry could get settled in and develop a trusting relationship with us. He initially had a lot of fear-based hangups, so we devoted a lot of time and training to making him more confident and comfortable being a pet. We decided to adopt a second because we wanted another. Henry would've been fine as an only dog. We know several people with onesies, and they do fine. It really depends on the individual temperament and personality of the dog. If you are set on just one (at least for now), your adoption group should be able to match you to a greyhound with a more confident and independent personality.

One-Greyhound household here and it is terrific. I'm retired and home a lot. When I go out, I make sure Annie is left alone no more than 5 hours. Annie never had an adjustment to being an only. I adopted her in July 2011 and it's been smooth sailing in that respect ever since. When I bring a Grey home after a M&G while waiting for his foster mom to pick him up, Annie almost gets put out that I am paying attention to another dog and either goes upstairs to her bedroom bed or snarks just once at the "intruder" to let him know she's the queen. She's fine with other dogs as long as we're not at home.

Life is easier with one dog. I'm a person who likes peace, quiet and calm. I also don't want double the vet bills that might come with a second dog.

Edited by Feisty49

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
Guest sireltonsmom

We had one boy for a long time but fostered so we had two much of the time. Came across a little sad bounced back girl and fell in love so fostered and adopted her. She's now our resident Diva! We lost our first boy in April at 14.5 and we had 9.5 wonderful years with him. We adopted a prison trained big red boy in August. I love having the two - the girl and boy personalities are different and each wonderful. Our home is only 2000 sq. ft. I think you will find after having a greyhound for a month that they don't take up much room when laying down. Lots of apartment and condo folks have more than one. A good match is the important thing. We also dog sit others' greys so sometimes we have up to 4 for a week or so. We went to a Christmas Open House (greys invited) and there had to be 15 hounds - some who hadn't met before. They were fine and we were happier for having them with us. It seems more so with the greyhounds that you get a whole family instead of just a dog with a "here's your dog - goodbye". Most groups support you nicely through any adjustments and you tend to gravitate to people with greys so you often have all together.

:ghplaybow:gh_runner

I have one grey, and 2 mixed breed shelter dogs. I find 2 dogs to be the most comfortable for me in general. I think dogs can do great as an only dog, though, as long as they get attention and walks and lots of time with their people.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Waterdog66

We have had Audrey for about 8 months now and at times, we have considered adding a second hound.

It always comes back to the financial aspect. "Can We Afford to Have Two".

On the face of it the answer is yes, but then there is the unexpected that quickly escalates. Boarding Fees for Two, Medical For Two etc. (It adds up quick)

Food, space, love and companionship is the easy part; but for now anyway, we are very content with providing for one.

Now that Raven is gone Riley loves being an only dog. We had 2 for many years because Raven couldn't be an only and she kept outliving her companions. But Riley wants all the treats, all the attention, all the toys to himself. I suspect he'd be unhappy if he had to share again. It is also a lot less expensive with one hound and we can afford to spoil him rotten. But it really does depend on the personality of the individual.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

We have a greyhound and a little terrier-mix. The terrier helped our first greyhound who had serious separation anxiety. I think our current grey would be good being an only. She's much more confident and outgoing than the first. We do make sure to take her to places with other dogs and people so that she stays as friendly and outgoing as she is. I would guess that it would depend a lot on the individual dog after having seen the great difference between our two. Best of luck!

And...if our house,yard and bank account were bigger we would have a gaggle of greyhounds!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest CaityRose

I think they greyhound will be fine. Just when you are talking to the rescue group, make sure they pair you with one that would be okay alone, and who doesn't have a high prey drive. I'd be worried about the bunny.

I have one that has needed lots of help getting settled in. I would like a second greyhound but Im going to let my cats get use to the first one for a while before adopting a second.

Kristen mom to-

Sp FancyPants (Fanny)- 4.20.12 Adopted 3.8.14

Rico's Maggie (Maggie)- 12.3.12 Adopted 1.21.15

Guest FinnsMama

I am on my second greyhound but both have been 'only dogs'. My first was rescued off a track and very independent. We named him Solo, and it suited him perfectly! He spent most of his time in the back of the house where he had taken over my guest room.

After Solo died at 10 years of age, I got another, Finn. He was a rescue from a greyhound farm and never made it to a track so he was very undisciplined. But I think he was picked on by the othe dogs because he is small for a greyhound. He does not like to be around other dogs at all anymore.

I have always felt that one dog at a time is best for me. I grew up with tons of dogs around and have felt that when you have multiple dogs they form a pack, but one dog to a household makes a better companion. Beside I do work and have some health issues so one is really all I can handle right now. And Finn is perfectly happy that way!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CleverJason

Baron is a bit of a loner, and he's the only grey I have. I think he prefers it that way. He's never been overly affectionate or attached, except when I come home or when he's hungry. If you're going to have only one, I would definitely advise choosing an older grey (like 4 or 5). And most importantly, begin alone training immediately. Start leaving him alone briefly the day you bring him home so he knows you won't always be there and that's okay.