1. 1. How many greys do you have?

• More than 3
    • I'm currently greyless

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SandOSU98

I have one grey and he does great by himself... then again he doesn't have SA problems and that very well could be a reason. If you're working from home though it doesn't sound like it would be as much of an issue. The one challenge I did have was that because he didn't have "roommates" it took me a while to properly socialize him with other dogs, especially high energy breeds. As long as you are willing to be there for you grey while he or she adjusts you should be just fine! They are addictive though... I am hoping to get a second one once I buy a house. Good luck and congrats!

Guest GunnyGirl

I only have one. I have never only had one dog at a time but due to my current life style, one is all we can handle. I am gone from the house between 10-13 hours a day, 5 days a week and DBF is home all day, so that works out fine. Gunny is totally fine being the only dog. And we are totally fine with her being the only dog. I would love to have another but it just won't be happening any time soon.

Guest WhiteWave

I only have one Greyhound, but we have other dogs here. Ronon would not be happy being an only dog, but he could careless what breed it is.

I have had as many as 6 Greys here at one time. Loved it! :) They do very well in packs! I love fostering! If you can only have one or 2, fostering is great way to have more dogs and help them at the same time! When one leaves, there is always another ready to step in.

Right now with the economy the way it, one of my other favorite breeds, the Dogo Argentino is now popping up like crazy in shelters. So I'm fostering them for a change. Have a nice male right now who is available (gets along good with Greyhounds!) and a young deaf female coming next week. :)

Guest Bailey5

OHHHHH your all making me want to run out to get another one.. Husband wont let me.. We live in small condo right now.. We wont be moving for at least a year. He says we should wait.. Gonna be long wait! :unsure:unsure

Guest kellygreyhound

one grey here--if I had the space and money, well mostly the money, I'd adopt another one! My girl seems fine as an only, but she did enjoy having company when we stayed at my parent's house briefly with their German Short-haired Pointer. She's also very social so she regularly gets walks and gets to chat and play with the neighborhood dogs--between our evening outings and her romps with the walker and his pack of pooches, she's not alone much. I have noticed that she gets quite crabby towards other dogs when she's tired (never people, just dogs), but she's a little bossy by nature....

Guest Bang_o_rama

Hi all!

My wife and I just got our first grey, Bang, nine days ago. Quite a whirlwind, but she is a sweet-natured dog. Our cat has finally started to use the floor again!

Anyway, as for numbers, we have a nice-sized 2BR condo, so we think one dog is the maximum for us.

But if we had a big house and yard and did get a second dog, it would be GH-II; they are addictive beasties....

Dave

Guest Maddyr24

We just have Sagan - and we live in a small Manhattan apt. He is perfectly fine and i think happy to be the only, spoiled "child". I babysit other greys and two can be a lot of work - for me , one is enough and Sagan doesn't mind at all.

We have one grey, and so far he's doing very well as an only. He lives with our three cats, but they mostly pay no attention to each other (the cats have never cuddled with each other either...they get their individual attention and pretend that the others aren't there. I think it's because we took them all in at different times and ages, depending on when they showed up as strays). Our adoption group specifically looked for a confident dog who would do well by himself and would do well living in a city, with all the noises and traffic, etc. He likes visiting with other greys at Meet & Greets, but he's a lot more interested in getting pets from people. I secretly want another, but we just don't have the room.

Depending on the individual hound, they can be just fine as only dogs. If you want just one your adoption group should be able to guide you to those that can live without canine companionship. Argus was an only dog for a while without a problem and I know that Tiny could also be an only dog--Raven, not so much. But I also think that they enjoy the companionship of another greyhound, particularly if you're away from home a lot. Since you work from home that's not a big issue. But yes... they can be addictive. ;)

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest DarkHorse

We had Araley solo for the first five and a bit months due to an injury of Dexter's. When he first arrived, she was less happy having him around than she was as an only dog. Once he settled in and really became part of the family, she adjusted and now she's happy to have him. I do think that if he were to leave for whatever reason, she would adapt back to being an only dog. I'm not sure how he would do; I think he'd be OK but definitely not as happy.

The most important thing is to find a dog that fits you and only wanting one is something that your group should know and work with. If you eventually choose to add a second, then you can work to find one that fits your first and your family. Two poorly matched dogs will be worse that a single, no matter how much he hated being the only dog. One of our main criteria for our eventual third dog will be that he or she gets along with both greys.

Some dogs do like having cats as companions and can be an only dog with a cat but not without, so you might find a dog like that too.

I do think greys are happiest with another grey--I adopted two from the adoption kennel and wonder had I adopted just one and she only knew a house without any other grey then she would have probably been fine, but since coming home in a pair I will always own more then one.

Also, I have noticed that my greyhounds bonded more closely to eachother and did not bond quite as closely to the two dogs that I already had in our home when I adopted the greys. I was told that greyhounds recognize other greyhounds and I truly beleive this. I have never noticed this in any other dog breed. I think it might be due to the grey being crated in large kennels from the start of life and not being around other dog breeds, just other greys. (?)

Having more then one grey howling in unison is priceless and beautiful. :confetti

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I have 2 greyhounds, ages almost 10 and almost 8. I'm surprised looking at the poll that so few have "more than 3". I guess that's because my daughter has 4 and I have a number of friends who have between 5 and 9! I also have a 3 year old Staghound, who I count most of the time but not for this poll -- he is, most definitely, a sighthound.

Silver, who is 10 and has been with me since last Valentine's day, really likes other Greys but he also like little kids (none here), cats (none here) and just about anyone we run into. Since I don't work any more, I'm rarely gone more than 4 hours at a time -- they are always really glad to see me home.

Agnes has only been home 2 weeks and I'm her first home-- she seems glad to have the others around (pack integration is doing fine, she does like her sleeping space but both of my boys are gentle and don't push boundaries at all, so the trust is growing :) . I honestly don't know how she'd do solo and I need to get her out and about a bit -- carefully because she is the first grey I've had who is not small animal safe, at least with cat). She came with a broken tail and complications so we haven't had a chance to socialize much yet.

Callan, my Staghound, arrived at 4 months of age on 7/7/07 and may always be the perpetual puppy (I'm convinced it's partly because he was neutered before 3 months ) but part of it is just that is is full of joy and very loving --he's afraid of dogs he doesn't know because he's been attacked severeal times (which made his mama a wimp too :( )

I only had two in the house from September 2 (when I lost Callie, 12) till October 2 (when Agnes came home) . It felt odd; I haven't had only 2 since December of 1996. I won't go over 3, except maybe for an emergency foster (or if the girl I'm waiting for is ready to come home); since I live by myself and am not quite as robust as I once was I have to keep the population to what I can care for and make happy (and afford)

Edited by Mom2Shiloh

Guest Giselle

Dogs are pretty social creatures and I love multiples, so I have as many as my city will allow (3) but only one grey. I love dabbling in all breeds, so that's why it's only one grey for now :) If there weren't financial or time constraints, I'd probably have 2 greys and multiples of other breeds (I can not wait for a Malinois :D).

IMHO - dogs are pack animals. They NEED a pack. For some greys, just a human is enough of a pack. For many of them - the lived with their siblings for a year (not the 6 weeks most pups do).... and they lived with a whole bunch of greys after that.

Living without other greys around is a HUGE shock to most of them. Some of them will do fine with it. IMHO - many racing greys have a hard time being alone.

My advice, if you want to adopt one, let your adoption group know that - so they can help pick out a grey that will like that lifestyle.

I have a foster right now - that would be a very good "only dog". They DO exist.

BTW - the greys that may be very good candidates for being only dogs - may be listed as "dog-aggressive", or "not good with other dogs". They're NOT bad dogs. They're looking for YOUR home.

Edited by sobesmom

IMHO - dogs are pack animals. They NEED a pack. For some greys, just a human is enough of a pack. For many of them - the lived with their siblings for a year (not the 6 weeks most pups do).... and they lived with a whole bunch of greys after that.

Living without other greys around is a HUGE shock to most of them. Some of them will do fine with it. IMHO - many racing greys have a hard time being alone.

My advice, if you want to adopt one, let your adoption group know that - so they can help pick out a grey that will like that lifestyle.

I have a foster right now - that would be a very good "only dog". They DO exist.

BTW - the greys that may be very good candidates for being only dogs - may be listed as "dog-aggressive", or "not good with other dogs". They're NOT bad dogs. They're looking for YOUR home.

I have two. I started out with getting my Bristol and didn't think I'd want another one. Then along came my Duke He was only 18 months old and I got to walk him with my other dog right a way. They got along really well and I decided to foster him. Well as soon as my son saw him we knew we had to have him in our family Two's really not that bad. Even though they are big dogs they never seem to get in my way. They're too busy sleeping on the bed and couch.

We have just one. He's fine with that 'tho he likes other greys. But, watch out, he's a bully.

I'd like to have another one but we just can't afford it.

DarbyampChad_zpsvpn9kam5.jpg

"Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant."
-Cathy, DW to Al, Mom to Darby & Chad. Nana to Gabe, Dominic, & Christopher Welter
Remembering Social (2001-2014) and Gus (2007-2015)

Guest zombrie

One greyhound, a golden retriever and a german shepherd here! :P

We fostered a grey for about a month and Mira enjoyed his company (she loves going to the kennel and seeing all the other greys), but she would be content to be an only dog too. She's very independent and will choose a person over a dog anytime :)

Guest hundlover3

1 grey with 2 dachsunds; one long and 2 short legged hounds. The grey has yet to figure out what happened to the poor little dachshunds' legs :)

Guest dfriedri

Star is my only greyhound. She thoroughly enjoys being #1 even though she shares the house with two lazy cats. When we go to my mom's house she has to compete with a great dane and a weimeriener (sp?). I can almost hear her telling me thank you and breathing a deep sigh of relief when we go back home!

• 4 weeks later...