We Are Trying Something Else But

Guest koolaidnconner

Guest koolaidnconner

I just got off the phone with our vet and she talked to a few other colleagues and they said we should try changing Conner from Z/D to another product as they think he may have grown an allergy to the protein in it. We are also going to go on Metronidazole. He has been on this before with no change but we are running out of options.

I am so depressed, so sad that he won't he start showing small signs of getting better. The vet has gone through his whole chart and listed all the drugs and combinations he has been on and there is not much more we can try. I sure hope it's just the food, and everything will turn around.

:weep

I'm sorry you're going through this, and feel so helpless.

Sending prayers out to you and Conner.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I have never heard of that. Please PM me your phone number. I have some ideas.

z/d is a predigest protein. For lack of better description, it tricks the body - so the system doesn't recognize it as a protein, therefore, very unlikely he's allergic to it.

Here is an email from the HEad of nutrition @ UPENN about the food options for dogs like ours and the differences.

"I have sent a detailed summary of our conversation to Dr. Longo and let her

know my thoughts about potentially trying the Royal Canin HP and

Nestle-Purina HA diets as an alternative to the z/d ultra (I have

summarized some of the nutritional information about these diets below

for you as well).

1. HP seems to be the most palatable but it is the highest in

fat, 328

kcal/cup, 41% kcal from fat

2. HA has the least fat and 25% of the fat is MCT oil, 311

kcal/cup, 24%

kcal from fat

3. z/d ultra has been know to cause loose stools in dogs

with no known GI disease and our dermatologists worry that some chicken

allergic dogs react to it, also it is the lowest kcal food but not the lowest

in fat, 254 kcal/cup, 30% kcal from fat"

I will call you Friday. Don't dispair. We will get this. Been there. I know how scary, frustrating and angry you must be feeling. Totally helpless. Please, let me try and help.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Please get better sweetie :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Have you had allergy tests done? A lot of vets don't believe in them, but they're the reason Minnie (two types of severe IBD) is still alive.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm so sorry that you are going through this - it is so discouraging.

I can't remember from your past posts whether you have ever tried a home-made elimination diet with just one or two ingredients? If you haven't, it might be worth trying for 1 to 2 weeks to see if it makes any difference and it could help to identify exactly what can work.

I had to cook for Cody because we couldn't find a dog food that agreed with him. I cooked pork loin and fresh veggies and it helped him so it was worth the trouble.

Another thought, pro biotic yogurt, ask your vet about DanActive drink once a day.

Guest IrskasMom
I have never heard of that. Please PM me your phone number. I have some ideas.

z/d is a predigest protein. For lack of better description, it tricks the body - so the system doesn't recognize it as a protein, therefore, very unlikely he's allergic to it.

Here is an email from the HEad of nutrition @ UPENN about the food options for dogs like ours and the differences.

"I have sent a detailed summary of our conversation to Dr. Longo and let her

know my thoughts about potentially trying the Royal Canin HP and

Nestle-Purina HA diets as an alternative to the z/d ultra (I have

summarized some of the nutritional information about these diets below

for you as well).

1. HP seems to be the most palatable but it is the highest in

fat, 328

kcal/cup, 41% kcal from fat

2. HA has the least fat and 25% of the fat is MCT oil, 311

kcal/cup, 24%

kcal from fat

3. z/d ultra has been know to cause loose stools in dogs

with no known GI disease and our dermatologists worry that some chicken

allergic dogs react to it, also it is the lowest kcal food but not the lowest

in fat, 254 kcal/cup, 30% kcal from fat"

I will call you Friday. Don't dispair. We will get this. Been there. I know how scary, frustrating and angry you must be feeling. Totally helpless. Please, let me try and help.

Please listen to Robin ,she has great Knowledge about IBD and has great Vets on her Side . ;)

Wishing you and Conner well. Lots of Hugs and Prayers for that Sweetie :grouphug:hope:grouphug

Edited by IrskasMom

:candle:hope

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

I'm so sorry that you are going through this - it is so discouraging.

I can't remember from your past posts whether you have ever tried a home-made elimination diet with just one or two ingredients? If you haven't, it might be worth trying for 1 to 2 weeks to see if it makes any difference and it could help to identify exactly what can work.

I agree with Mary Jane. I have an IBD dog with severe food allergies. There are way too many ingredients in the different kibbles to identify what might be the cause. Turns out my guy might be allergic to rice! I home cook and work with a nutritionalist and IM doc at Angell Memorial in Boston. After nine months of scary problems, I've finally had almost six months of stability. This nutritionalist works over the phone so you don't need to bring your dog but she will likely need to see the medical reports. Best of luck.

BTW - z/d food did not work for my dog. He actually got worse. It happens.

Edited by Fasave

Guest koolaidnconner

We have done the boiled chx and rice, hamburgar and rice, it only makes it worse. And I have talked to Robin on the phone and she suggested making sure he gets into see an internal medicine veterinarian. I just went and picked up the flaygl from the vets and she was gone out but left a message for her to call me about that.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

I'm sorry to be coming in so late, and since I haven't read all the posts I apologize if I'm redundant, but basically:

Has Connor been formally diagnosed, by biopsy (either endoscopically or via open procedure) to have IBD? There are several subsets of IBD which can affect the treatment plan, so you want to be sure Connor has received the correct diagnosis in all regards.

Is Connor still on steroids? If so, regular prednisone, or has he been put onto budesonide, which (as Entocort) has a direct effect on the bowel and far less side effects for him. If he's failing, the vet should have jacked up his steroids to help control his symptoms.

The bottom line to IBD is that it is an autoimmune or immune-mediated disease. Besides dietary modifications, most dogs with severe disease also need to be on adequate immunosuppression. The goal is to achieve this ASAP, and preferably without the use of steroids (or, alternatively, using budesonide). There are several drugs used to modulate the immune system in dogs (and in humans): Imuran, cyclosporin, cytoxan, leflumonide, and other chemotherapeutic agents. This is why bringing Connor to see an Internal Med vet, preferably one very familiar with autoimmune diseases and with IBD -- the majority of internal vets do not feel comfortable working with and managing these drugs. You need a vet who is completely confident prescribing and monitoring the dog while on immunomodulators, and, having gone through this with my Angel Lexi, it's imperative that you find someone well-versed in the use of drugs that can have side effects, cause liver impairment, increase risk of infection, etc.

Gotta run to see a patient - later.......

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Z/D did not work for my greyhound either. I fed him lean boiled meat with bone meal added for calcium, that's all, no veggies or starches. Then I put him on lean raw and he has been fine ever since.

Good luck.