Outlaw Is Hurting... Day #38 Update 9/3 Am

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Guest monica

I am new here and have read the entire thread on this beautiful boy named Outlaw. His smile is unforgettable.

His shoulder being pushed out so far leads me to believe he has been in awful pain, both nerve and soft tissue, like a tendonitis. Soft tissue takes so long to heal.

I am praying for Outlaw and you for healing, love and no more pain :)

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 3greysinPA

Thanks for the tidbit Holly....

and would you PM me the recipe for that special 'Outlaw Meatloaf'.... I would like to make that for my hounds too.

thank you honey!!!

kisses to all the hounds... :kiss2:kiss2:kiss2:kiss2:kiss2

and a hug for you too :grouphug

Guest TheUnrulyHound
So glad your pup is feeling better!

Reposting the following from Food forum several months back:

Not a miracle recipe, but most dogs seem to enjoy this. I baked it like a meatloaf and used it as a protein supplement or canned food substitute until Batman got sick; then he had to have everything pureed so I cooked it on the stovetop and ran it through my Osterizer:

1 lb - 2 lbs chicken or turkey

1 lb ground beef - OK if it's quite fatty because you're cutting the fat with poultry

2-3 eggs with shells (1 egg for each pound meat)

1 cup frozen spinach

1/2 cup frozen peas (must be cooked and then pureed - for the fiber; firms stools)

2-3 tablespoons molasses (blackstrap is best - lots of potassium; also adds palatability)

2-3 teaspoons powdered kelp (optional - for trace minerals)

For the eggshells, I rinse them out and zap them in the microwave for 30 seconds, pat dry, zap again if they're still too damp, then powder them with mortar and pestle or coffee grinder (or just crush well with back of spoon).

If you're going to bake as meatloaf, thaw the spinach first but no need to drain.

If peas are not cooked and pureed, they'll just go through the dog whole. You can puree (= blend into mush) in an Osterizer (might have to add a little water), old-fashioned Foley food mill, Cuisinart, etc. For us, they work better than most anything else at providing fiber for good stools.

You can make it with all one kind of meat. If just chicken or turkey, it'll be pretty low-calorie, though. You can also add other things -- a minced carrot or apple, for example.

Cook on stovetop until meat is no longer pink or mix all together and bake like a people meatloaf.

If you're not feeding anything else, figure 1-1.5 lbs of meat per dog per day.

Here it is Kristin :) I skip the peas and add extra spinach, I don't have kelp powder so I use wheatgerm. It is really easy :)

Sending gentle hugs and scritches to Outlaw and praying for a good day and further improvement.

Holly :bighug from Irene and Wendy.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest 3greysinPA
So glad your pup is feeling better!

Reposting the following from Food forum several months back:

Not a miracle recipe, but most dogs seem to enjoy this. I baked it like a meatloaf and used it as a protein supplement or canned food substitute until Batman got sick; then he had to have everything pureed so I cooked it on the stovetop and ran it through my Osterizer:

1 lb - 2 lbs chicken or turkey

1 lb ground beef - OK if it's quite fatty because you're cutting the fat with poultry

2-3 eggs with shells (1 egg for each pound meat)

1 cup frozen spinach

1/2 cup frozen peas (must be cooked and then pureed - for the fiber; firms stools)

2-3 tablespoons molasses (blackstrap is best - lots of potassium; also adds palatability)

2-3 teaspoons powdered kelp (optional - for trace minerals)

For the eggshells, I rinse them out and zap them in the microwave for 30 seconds, pat dry, zap again if they're still too damp, then powder them with mortar and pestle or coffee grinder (or just crush well with back of spoon).

If you're going to bake as meatloaf, thaw the spinach first but no need to drain.

If peas are not cooked and pureed, they'll just go through the dog whole. You can puree (= blend into mush) in an Osterizer (might have to add a little water), old-fashioned Foley food mill, Cuisinart, etc. For us, they work better than most anything else at providing fiber for good stools.

You can make it with all one kind of meat. If just chicken or turkey, it'll be pretty low-calorie, though. You can also add other things -- a minced carrot or apple, for example.

Cook on stovetop until meat is no longer pink or mix all together and bake like a people meatloaf.

If you're not feeding anything else, figure 1-1.5 lbs of meat per dog per day.

Here it is Kristin :) I skip the peas and add extra spinach, I don't have kelp powder so I use wheatgerm. It is really easy :)

thank you Holly :thumbs-up

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Well I don't read them to him but I DO deliver every single kiss and hug :) And thats the truth

Well today has been a little tougher for him, but it is because his shoulder seems to be bothering him again. He has been laying around all day and did not get up like he usually does to greet Jason when he got home from work. Even Jason could tell something was up right away. He isn't crying out but just isn't walking so well in the front again.

Tonite he seems to be restless, I fed him at 6 and he slept a while then he was in Emmas room with us for storytime standing and kinda pacing at around 8 :dunno when we were done there he went to the kitchen so I fed him his remaining meal which I usually save for about 10:30. Then he wanted to go out, so we went. came back in and he went to the kitchen so I gave him a treat. Then he wanted to go out again so we did...... came in, back to the kitchen??? He got a drink then I tried to get him to lay down. He lay down for a minute or two then went back to the door! So I looked at Jason and said "Your turn" Jason went back out with him and Outlaw just kinda stood out there and wandered a bit :dunno didn't need to pee or anything. So They came back in and Outlaw went to the bedroom. sooooooooooooooo we think, "ok thats it right?" He dissappears for a few minutes back there then comes BACK TO THE DOOR! Sheesh I don't know what is with him! So Jason got the flashlight and went out with him for a good 5-10 minutes and said that he just wandered, stopped here and there and wandered some more. Anyhow they just now came in and now Outlaw is laying by the front door like he still wants to go out but is too tired. This is VERY weird. I have no idea what he wants or what his motive is? It is nice outside tonite but I would think that him being uncomfortable today would make him want to be off his feet..... any ideas??? :dunno this has been a total of two hours of this.

Guest 3greysinPA

Poor Outlaw... what a sweet soul he is...

NO advice Holly, just hugs and kisses to that hound...

and prayers that all of you get some rest tonight...

prayers to Outlaw.... that he has a good night over night and wakes up to a good day tomorrow. :hope:hope:hope:hope

Guest TheUnrulyHound

He just now went to bed..... we will see how long it lasts. His meds are given at 11 so maybe those will knock him out for the rest of the night.

Gas? Pain?

Whatever the cause, I hope it went away so that you all had a good night's sleep.

Since you're delivering them, here are some more kisses for Outlaw: :kiss2 :kiss2 :kiss2

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Energy11

The wandering might be pain, or maybe his brain is getting a little "fuzzy," from the meds, pain, etc. hard to say. I hope he finally went to sleep and had a peaceful night.

Hugs to you all from all of us!

The wandering might be pain, or maybe his brain is getting a little "fuzzy," from the meds, pain, etc.

:( This was my first thought. I hope he slept well last night and is doing better this morning. Holly a :grouphug for you and a :kiss2 for sweet Outlaw. You all have been in my thoughts and will continue to stay there.

Hey Holly & Outlaw. Just checkin' in to see how our boy is feeling today. About the wandering...our Ridgeback did that as he got older. Kind of a doggie Alzheimers. There is medication to help with the cognitive problems. Is Outlaw still on Neurontin? I took Neurontin in very high doses for Fibromyalgia pain and it made me kinda fuzzy-brained.

Anyway, lots of gentle scritches and hugs coming your way.

P.S. Wendy loves her new collar. Thank you!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Been thinking of Outlaw. Hope he managed to get some rest last night. :goodluck:candle

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.