Penny Update 07-15-09

Guest Tuxsmom

Guest Tuxsmom

wow...thank you all again for all that positive thinking. we are on the "up" part of the roller coaster today.

my heart goes out to each and everyone of you who has been through these things & worse with your hounds. i know i am not alone, and that makes all the difference in the world.

My vet was "very happy" with Penny today. She was suprised at the change in Penny's demeanor. Yesterday, she saw a dog that was giving up.

Penny did not gain any weight, but she did not lose any!

Her bloodwork is "stable". Vet said that it could take a couple of weeks for her PCV to come back up to normal. Small upward movements are what we are seeing, and that is good.

Vet does not want to see her again until Monday, unless there are any vomitting, diarreah, or blood episodes :hope

I finally got my bill detail and here is what was done to her. My vet really pulled out all the shots, I think. I think she saved her life on Monday.

Monday-

- CBC, Blood Chemistry Profile, Electrolytes Level, and Fecal Exam

- 2 PCV tests

- Subcut Fluids

- B-12 Injection

- Reglan Injection

- Famotidine Injection

Tuesday-

- 2 PCV tests

- Famotidine Injection

- Cerenia Injection

Today-

- 2 PCV tests

whew....

Only change in Penny's medicine is for the Carafate. She explained it needs to be in an acidic environment to work, so Penny has to take it 2 hours before taking Pepcid AC again (10 mg 2x day now), then 30 mins after Pepcid to eat and take phenobarbital.

Penny is resting comfortably right now and I continue to pray for all of you with sick puppers to have good days, too :hope

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay for the good update! Hope this is the first of many to come!

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Thank you for the update. So glad to hear Penny is feeling better!

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

Thank you for the update. I was thinking of pretty Penny and hoping she was feeling a bit better. Sending prayers for more good reports.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest Energy11

WOWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS SOOO GREYT!! I am soooo happy for you guys!!! Words cannot express! :-))

I love Pepcid AC, and use it daily here with Curfew, with all his meds :-))

DO keep us posted! THIS is WONDERFUL! :-)))))) :wub::):):lol::lol::D:D

June, what a wonderful update. Penny has come so far and really turned a corner. Hugs to you both - it does indeed sound like a very good day.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

:yay :yay :yay

I hope she continues to improve...fairly steadily, if possible, to save wear and tear on your own nerves.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

That's a great update! You keep up the good work Penny! A huge hug to you June. Several of us know exactly how that roller coaster ride feels.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

This is such wonderful news :colgate. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am for you. Sending more healing thoughts and white light her way. Here's to hoping that the improvement continues and that soon she is able to put some of that weight back on, but for now the fact that she is no longer losing is a very, very big plus.

Guest ShelbyzMom
:yay what wonderful news. I told Derek about Penny yesterday and we were both sad, he'll be relieved to know that she's doing better :D

Guest myIrishlass

Hooray! The good days are what keep us going. Keep up the fight, Penny -- your mama loves you soooo much!

Three cheers for a good day. Let's keep it going with a greyt night, Ms. Penny!

Keep eating for your momma, and no more puking up blood, please. Or else I'll have to come give you a lecture! :lol

Hang in there, June. Remember to take care of yourself, too. Penny needs YOU to be healthy to help HER get healthy.

Lisa, Matt, Travis, and Kathryn

Furkids: Gracie (Styled Princess) and felines Tilly and Nike

SignatureGreytalk.jpg

:yay

Cerenia is some good stuff! It's also good for carsickness.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest UESBrindle

Awesome Job Penny and the vet! I am so glad she's on the way up-- still sending prayers and warm thoughts for a full recovery!

Excellent new!!! Let's keep it going in this direction. Come on Penny!!!!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Oh, that's a good report! Keep it up, Penny, sweetheart! We're all here pulling for you! Prayers and hugs going out to you both.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead