Soul Has Relapsed Yet Again

Guest SoulsMom

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww, shoot! I'm sorry to hear Soul's sick again.

Feel better soon, sweetie!! :kiss2

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Amber- I know and can sympathize with you and poor Soul.

With Beau, we just have to have him on the z/d for the IBD.

Sending many prayers for Soul that this set back is very short lived. Have you spoken to a board certified nurtionalist? If you would like one, I have someone at UPenn.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Oh I'm so sorry you're both going through this again. Because you're so in tune with him and acted fast I'm sure he will recover quicker.

It's strange the way he's fine for a while and then it drastically changes........

Has he eaten any foreign object whilst out walking or in the yard like dogs do to cause a reaction?

Sending hugs and well wishes....

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest greyt2love

Amber, I'm sorry you are dealing with htis again. I have no suggestoins that will help you. The only thing I Found that worked well for Caesar was Purina One Lamb and Rice. Anything with chicken triggered seizures, and any other brand brought on the bif D. All of the dogs like it and do well on it, so that's what I stick with. I have tried other kinds since Caesar is gone, but they don't eat it as readily, so that's what I stick to. I cook various extra's as add-ins, sometimes I use canned dog food. I have it easy compared to a lot of you. I wish I had a magic answer for the Soulman !

Poor Soul. Poor you. IBD is hard enough without having to deal with lupus as well.

It doesn't help that it takes a while for the impact of the wrong food to show up. :(

Have you considered allergy testing? Blood testing for food allergies has a dubious reputation, but it's really helped me with Minnie (IBD) and my other food-sensitive girls. My vet uses the SPOT test from Spectrum Labs.

Another thought if you prefer to use food trials instead is to select a food with the same main ingredients as the i/d, less what you think is worsening his lupus. i/d seems to be mostly corn, rice, and chicken. If the corn is the problem, maybe a LID chicken and rice like California Natural would work.

I hope you can find--or make--a food that gives you and Soul the right combination for his special needs.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Oh NO!!! Poor Soulman!!! Poor Amber!! I'm so sorry he's relapsed again.

Sending good thoughts from all of us to your house!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest SoulsMom

Thanks everyone. He's back to his old self now. All he needed was his flagyl and he improved quickly. Now on to the task of figuring out what to do from here . . . . .

Guest zoolaine

Hugs to you and Soul - glad he is doing better. There is an article in the Whole Dog Journal this month on HGE. If you would like I can mail it to you, just PM me your address. I am not sure how the lupus will play into things in the article.

Edited by zoolaine

Glad he's feeling better already. Hope he continues to improve.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Fasave
I have considered the home cooking but wouldn't know where to start . . . . and you're right about the I/D. I hate the contents but it really, really works for him. His poops are great on it and he's totally gas free.

I started home cooking for my guy in January when he was diagnosed with PLE/PLN/IBD. I worked with a nutritionalist at Angell in Boston where his IM doc his. The diet was done based on his bloodwork and diagnosis. She is available by phone so you don't need to travel into Boston to see her. The cost was $150 but you get unlimited consults with her via e-mail or phone, until there is a need for a diet change. This was a bargain compared to how much kibble I had bought and either thrown out or donated in the sixth months prior to consulting with her. It took a while but my guy has been doing well for the last few months.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Althea

Soul & Amber - I'm glad the relapse appears to be a short one... big hugs to you both!

EnzaFerrari's idea makes sense: what if there's something in the Natural Balance brand that is setting off the HGE? My understanding is that _all_ dry dog foods use some amount / type of filler product. Maybe it's some minor ingredient common to all the NB kibble that's affecting the poor little guy's belly. Maybe next time try another good, grain free food and see if you can at least get to a 50/50 mix with the I/D? (We're an Orijen household - the dogs do really well on it, but there are a _lot_ of ingredients.)

Hope Soul keeps feeling better!

Althea

Guest Althea

Sorry for one more overdue reply, but just realized that I have this 20% off Hill's coupon for use at a VCA Hospital. Do you use a VCA vet or have one nearby? If so, I can mail you this coupon... just let me know via pm.

Guest FoxNPeggysMom

Poor Soul! Fox was just diagnosed with Symmetrical Lupoid Onchodystrophy (SLO), which is very similiar to DL. We talked on another thread about it. I have had GREAT success switching Fox over to Wellness CORE (grain free, protein focused, whitefish formula). And it is somewhat cheaper than what you are currently feeding. (About $50 for a 30lb. bag). I started out cooking his food for every meal myself, and I found that this brand pretty much correlates with the diet I was giving him already.

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/dog_wellness_grain_index.html

Guest FoxNPeggysMom

What I did while cooking for Fox was alternate Chicken (cooked and deboned) and chicken livers, and Fish (salmon or mackeral) and add organic long grain brown rice, cauliflower, squash, broccoli, carrots. I also ground up alfalfa tablets for added nutrition and probiotics to aide in digestion. I sometimes put pumpkin or plain yogurt in too, and occasionally organic baby food mashed fruit. It sounds like a lot of trouble but it was pretty easy. I used frozen raw veggies and steamed them in the microwave, cooked large bowls of rice and the meat would last 2 days. I cook the chicken in a slow cooker and use the broth to moisten the rice. Alfalfa and probiotics go directly into dog bowl (don't cook them!).

Amber..if by any chance you decide to do home cooking for Soul....this is the site for Angell:

http://www.mspca.org/site/PageServer?pagen...rition_homepage

If you do home cooking, they recommend adding Balance IT for all the necessary supplements. I have a bottle only used about one teaspoon out of it. Home cooking didn't work for Flex. I hate to waste it so you are welcome to it. I will send it to you!

Good luck.Donna

Guest SoulsMom
Amber..if by any chance you decide to do home cooking for Soul....this is the site for Angell:

http://www.mspca.org/site/PageServer?pagen...rition_homepage

If you do home cooking, they recommend adding Balance IT for all the necessary supplements. I have a bottle only used about one teaspoon out of it. Home cooking didn't work for Flex. I hate to waste it so you are welcome to it. I will send it to you!

Good luck.Donna

Thank you! I think this is the same recipe that Kris sent me. I need to get myself a big cauldron and give it a try. . . . .Where do you get the BalanceIt? I think I'm going to let him finish the round of Flagyl, keep him on the I/D for another month, then start trying the homecooked diet.

He's been his normal, goofy self but hasn't been eating as much and his poops are really soft :( I am hoping that is due to the antibiotics, because in the past when he's been on all I/D his poops have been really firm and virtually no gas. I've been watching for blood, and sometimes I think I see it, but if it's there it is miniscule and hard to be sure . . .

Sorry for one more overdue reply, but just realized that I have this 20% off Hill's coupon for use at a VCA Hospital. Do you use a VCA vet or have one nearby? If so, I can mail you this coupon... just let me know via pm.

That would be awesome!!! Yes, Soul's vet is a VCA vet . . . Yea! Every little bit helps :)

Guest MorganKonaAlex
Where do you get the BalanceIt?

BalanceIt We were told only "registered veterinarians or nutritionists" were allowed to order it however. The nutritionist provided a code I had to use when ordering.

Guest greydogluvr

Oh Soul. I am sorry your are not feeling well. You are one lucky man to have a mama who loves you so much. Get better sweet man. Prayers from all of us :bighug