Something's Wrong With Thane

Something's wrong with Thane. Lethargic, barely eating.

We'd been concerned about his weight gain several months ago in his torso (legs and neck are gh skinny, body looks like a lab). In February he had a full bloodwork panel done including the big thyroid tests with nothing too out of the ordinary. He is not overfed. We switched to Bil-Jac. Continues to have great poop. His activity level has always been low because he is too frightened to go on walks. We do what we can to play with him in the backyard.

The past few days he's been sluggish. Not getting up for breakfast, not eating breakfast, not greeting me at the door when I get home, not playing with toys.

When I came home today he didn't greet me, was hiding in the back of the house, his hang out spot, finally stood up. I gently rubbed his belly and he yelped.

Vet let us come right in. No bloat. Tummy definitely tender. Our instructions for the weekend are to give very small bland watered-down meals, give Phazyme and Pepcid.

I can hear some gurgling and I think the Phazyme helped a bit. He tried to do a stretch but only went part way.

I had to leash walk him in the backyard because a neighbor was mowing (scares him). After he peed I slipped the leash off. Normally he would race back to the house, but not today.

Our vet does not have ultrasound. He did give me his cell phone number. Thane is scheduled to get his yearly checkup and shots on Wednesday. Depending on how the weekend goes, I may call and ask if they would do an abdominal xray on Monday.

What blood tests would show possible cancer in the belly, liver, or spleen?

My little man will be 10 on Wednesday. Please let him be OK.

004-1.jpg

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know nothing about cancer in animals Ducky, but I'm sure someone will know.

But I sure will keep this very special boy in my prayers.

We WILL be celebrating his 10th birthday, and with joy!! Wayne said to tell him to remember, black dogs rule!!

ETA: I honestly do know how to spell, I just can't type :lol

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Kinda surprised they didn't do an x-ray--that would be the first thing I would do. Did the vet palpate his tummy??? It is hard to do so when they are painful, they splint their abdomen and make it virtually impossible for the Dr to feel each organ. Sore tummy's could be anything from a mass to gas-you might want to repeat his bloodwork--lots can change in a 10yr old sine Feb.

Edited to add for blood work--to check spleen it might help to check the HCT aka PCV--if there's a splenic mass the HCT MAY be low, liver- check the ALT, ASP and the Alk Phos. Might want to check for pancreas--Spec PLI Honestly I would run another full panel with a CBC. Sorry he's not feeling well :( He looks so much like my boy I lost back in Feb :(:(

Edited by tbhounds

Guest argolola

I just put precious Thane on my prayer list.

Lola had similar symptoms several years ago. It was "colitis", which was diagnosed by the e-vet and quite a few dollars later, she was fine.

Sending loads of prayers for your boy.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

no advice, just hugs and prayers for your handsome black boy!!!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm so sorry he's not feeling well. Hope you get a handle on it soon and he starts feeling better.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Hey Ducky!! Sorry to hear this!

I'd do x-rays, an ultra sound, and bloodwork, which will show any problems with the liver and pancreas ... You can go from there on that. DO keep me posted! Hugs! DEE

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Keeping Thane in my prayers.

It's probably because I'm going through this with Rhem at the moment, but have you checked a fecal? Rhem has bad hookworms in spite of being on Interceptor. You saying his tummy's gurgly is what mad me think of it...

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

Guest ss556

Ducky, I'm sorry to hear this about Thane. No advice except I would think xrays or an ultrasound is in order. Sending my prayers.

I'd do x-rays, an ultra sound, and bloodwork, which will show any problems with the liver and pancreas ... You can go from there

I agree. Please give that handsome devil smoochies from me.

Edited by greyhoundlov

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Guest IrskasMom

OMG ,I just saw this . Hugs and Prayers for Thane :grouphug:grouphug:hope:hope:hope

Ducky ... Hugs for you to , since I know how severly it effects the Moms . :bighug

Edited by IrskasMom