Loca Update

i came back from walking phene and heard some crying. loca was sprawled and shaking on the floor in the hallway. i helped her up and she is now resting on a dog bed, although most of her body is actually on the floor. i tried to reposition her but she kind of snapped at me. i've put rubbed-backed mats on the floor and bought the harness recommended by tina, but i haven't put it on as she's lying down and seems very uncomfortable. if it wasn't for the fact that my vet insists that she's fine, i would put her out of her pain.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KyGrey

Poor Loca! Just wondering how your vet can say she's fine when she's clearly in pain. I guess I just don't understand.

Give her hugs and kisses from me. :bighug

well we just came back from yet another vet visit and the brat (Loca) became perfectly normal!! she's up and about, she's walking well and the vet said that she doesn't have any injuries. who wants her?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Me! Me! I'll take her! (like you would really let her out of your sight :rolleyes: )

I am glad she is better. Could she have slipped, or stumbled, or twisted something while you were out? She would have been sore, but a temporary thing she could shake off. Sugar did that many, many times in her last year.

Oh, Robin! You never dreamed you'd be spending so much time on a roller coaster, did you?

I've been thinking about you and Loca so much, and hoping that both of you can get off this ride. How about a nice, calm float across the lake in a swan boat for a change?

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest TinasTroops

Robin has rushed Loca to the Evet here and has now been refered to the University of Guelph, prayers and positive thoughts are MUCH NEEDED!

I am waiting for Robin to get to the OVC and let me know she is there and settled, I will make my way over to help with the stress and emotion.

I had sent her a private message and she told me she was at the EVet. Many, many prayers for Loca and huge hugs and lots of support for Robin. This has been an awful roller coaster ride for the two of them.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Oh Crap. I'm so sorry, but I'm also hoping for the very best. :goodluck

Tina - You're a peach.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest PhillyPups

Damm damm damm This is not what I wanted to see. Tina, please let Robin know many prayers coming from us and give Robin a BIG hug from us, I know she needs one. You are a wonderful friend, I know how hard this is to go through alone. :kiss2

I've had more experience than I'd like to think about in regards to old dogs and spinal problems. GP vets usually cannot accurately diagnose what's going on. Hopefully the University can figure out what's going on and recommend an effective treatment plan. White light going out to both Robin and Loca - both the human and the dog suffer tremendously during these types of things, I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone. :( Hopefully this will be a turning point!

Edited by romansperson

damn, i don't know where to start...

I took Loca to the e-vet this afternoon because, besides falling constantly, she had developed pronounced head, throat and chest tremours. I got to the vet and...get a load of this...I mentioned that Loca had a fentanyl patch, so the vet asked me where it was. I said it was on the inside of her thigh. the e-vet flipped!!! off came the patch, as it was determined that she was overdosing on the meds. Rather than being placed on the outside of her thigh, it was placed on the inside, right over a main artery in an area where there isn't any hair. She was then referred to University of Guelph (OVC) for a neurological work up as the e-vet was concerned about how often she was buckling and falling over. at OVC she had a quick assessment and it was determined that she should have a full neurological exam in the morning as the initial assessment suggested some kind of neurological involvement. there is a possibility that it could residual effects from the patch, but she seemed pretty confident that there was probably more going on such as a problematic disk or even a tumour. keep in mind that by this time she was a zillion times better than she was before the patch was removed. everything else seemed normal but it was obvious she was in a good deal of pain originating from several areas. she is spending the night there so she could be seen first thing in the morning and so that she can be safe from falls.

Loca had the patch because she had been floppy and seemingly in a lot of pain. Twice I called the vet because she was falling over so often. Yesterday , after watching her walk, the vet said that her walk and posture were good. then she proceeded to fall over in the hallway. the vet said he wasn't worried because it was probably due to the patch and that he didn't think anything was broken. how could he say she had good posture and stance when she collapsed in the hallway??? i wish i had been more insistent every time i called or brought her in.

during this time there's been at least two visits and several phone calls due to loca's frequent collapsing (not to mention the zillions of other visits). there was always a reason given for it, but as Tina will attest to, I was never satisfied. i'm not happy about that, but there is no excuse for making a mistake with the fentanyl patch.

Regardless of the outcome of tomorrow's exam, i'm so relieved that it is being completed. thanks so much to Tina, who has always been there for me.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Guest KyGrey

Robin, at least you found out it was the patch and they removed it. I will be hoping and praying there are no long-term affects from it.

Why don't some of these vets listen? We know our dogs.

:bighug :bighug

Guest PhillyPups

Robin :bighug

The rolllercoaster is one ride I hate. The love we have for our hounds gives us no choice. I do know Sug's patch was on the muscle of her butt.

:bighug to you and know you are not alone on this ride - I am feeling like I am going through this with one of my own.

Maybe, just maybe, the remaining Fentanyl OD will clear overnight, and she'll great the vet in the morning without tremors or falls or any other affliction.

At least, that's what I'm hoping for. :goodluck You and Loca have been through much too much already.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Robin, I'm really praying hard for Loca. I'm here for you too if you need anything. Please, call if you need me.

As far as your vet - well, I won't say what I'm thinking.

Hugs to you - try to get some sleep tonight. Loca is in a very good place right now. They will take excellent care of her.

Liz