Dodge-osteo-post Amputation

Guest VirginiaGreys

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest VirginiaGreys

The holistic vet that I have an appt with next week...I just called her and she does do both acupuncture and chiropractic work. How much is it usually? Do I need to win the lottery or sell my first born??

Running out of money fast in VA :lol:

Guest Energy11

My Staggerlee ALWAYS favors his left rear leg. BAD corn there, even after is it "hulled," he favors it! I hope that is what Dodge is doing as well. I KNOW what you are going thru, ... I have been through a lot of sleepless night with my Curfew! Hang in there. Love and prayers coming your way from here!

Guest VirginiaGreys

I'm back from the Holistic vet. She doesn't think that Dodge has neuropathy (something that I thought could be a problem??)...which for Dodge's sake is good news. He was out of alignment, so she did her magic on him and hopefully that will help him some (for now). I'm taking him back in a few weeks for acupuncture ...and maybe another back alignment as well. She thinks the problem with his walking isn't just the right back leg, but she saw the same problem in both back legs. It was tough because he has a funny gait (being a tri-pod)...but thinks that the ligaments in both back knees are messed up/pulled? and have some arthritis going on as well. The acupuncture will help both of those items.

She didn't feel anything abnormal and he didn't yelp or feel pain with her manipulating his back legs/hips/legs...so for me that was also a good sign that we're hopefully dealing with ligaments problems and not that nasty disease that we all hate. (I don't even want to mention the name).

As for the corn...

I used the propolis only one time (Monday)...put it on topically and wrapped the foot. The wrap stayed on for about an hour (before the wrap came off on its own or my Dodge helping it). Decided that since I was seeing a holistic vet today...that I wouldn't do anything more for now (like giving the propolis to him orally) till the holistic vet saw him. When I went to show her the corn...the corn was all but about gone. It had been on the corner of his pad...not where it could be hulled really...and you could see the redness on the edges...and even that skin is not as red. :yay

So...I'm glad that he saw the holistic vet. I think it will help him...I just hope that I can keep taking him there for a bit. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest VirginiaGreys

Dodge's cancer has metastasized to his back thigh and attached to the muscle ...we'll keep an eye on him...and right now it's quality of life that we are working on. He's was taking pain pills every other day...and with it on the muscle I'm increasing it to once a day for now. His lungs sound good so far and he's still eating, drinking and playing outside (showing interest)...so for now...we will take it one day at a time...that's all we can do. The vet said that we could do surgery to remove the cancer, but it's probably just a matter of time before another shows up. :(

I will continue to give him the art-e, fish oil and glucosimine ....and he's on previcox now for anti-inflammatory and pain. The vet I'm working with now said that there are other options ...like the gabapentin (sp?) and something else that I can't remember...if it is needed. The previcox was donated to me by a local greyhound adoption group...and I have some deramaxx (that was donated as well) when the previcox runs out.

That's all I have for an update...tears are coming now. :(

Oh crap! :( I'm so sorry that the OS has reared it's ugly head again. :cry1 Have found that a combination of NSAID + tramadol works well for pain mngt. Tramadol is cheap by prescription at Walmart, Costco, etc. Hoping you have much more quality time with your sweet Dodge. Holding you both in my prayers... :hope:heart

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

:grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I am so very, very sorry to read this about Dodge. For those of us who have been thru this, we know there is not a lot we can say. My prayers are with you, I wish there were something I could do for you and him. I will keep you both in my prayers, please give him a big hug for me. :bighug

Guest Energy11

I think you have done what you thought was best for Dodge, and that is very very good. He has ALREADY SEEN an improved quality of life. I would give the Deramax and Tramadol, which is what I did for my Osteo dog, Max. (no, I didn't amputate, because I don't believe in it for MY dogs), BUT, I feel it is a very personal decision, and I totally respect anyone who opts for that treatment.

I think you need to just take everyday, day by day, ... CONTROL THE PAIN, and love your boy! THAT is ALL anyone could ask. I did the VERY same thing with my husband, Bob, who died of cancer. I controlled the pain, and we had four weeks and three days, with the Tampa Bay Bucs games and other stuff on TV, and our greyhound, Energy.

You follow your heart, and love your boy!

WE :wub: Love and SUPPORT you~ D

Diane, I hate that this is happening to Dodge. I could scream. :grouphug

Praying you have many days left to love on your boy.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest VirginiaGreys

Dodge hates the tramadol...he will do everything in his power to throw it up or spit it up...and he loses his appetite with it too...so no tramadol for now. I promised him that I wouldn't give it to him again.

The previcox ...he will take that without me putting it down his throat...just handing it to him like candy......and the same with deramaxx...so hopefully I'll be able to continue with those for now. The vet said that the previcox is more expensive than the deramaxx...so when I'm out of that...I may go to the gabapentin....or whatever else the vet recommends that isn't too expensive...but I'm hoping not to have to do the tramadol...since it didn't do well with Dodge before and after the amputation.

I need to get out and paint my front porch...but I can't stop crying in my office.

Guest Energy11

When I was doing pain control for our Max, I'd give him Science Diet Prescription AD, which he LOVED, and it really seemed to help him keep down his meds, and was LOADED with protein and all kinds of good things :-)) Might want to try it! I mixed Max's with canned Chicken Soup food. He had almost three GOOD months, and even made the trip for HOTT HORRIBLE Florida to the mountains with us :-)) I am very greytful for that!

You do what YOU think is right, and WE will all be here to support you! Love you! Dee, Curfew, Goldie, Oakly, Staggerlee, and Cari. Of course, My Bob, (husband), Bold Energy, Max and Dasher, at The Bridge.

GO .. PAINT!!!!!!!!!!! It will help you! When my Bob (husband) was dying, I cleaned! Go, paint ... make it beautiful!

Diane, I'm so sorry. :( Sending big hugs and prayers to you and Dodge. :grouphug

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest VirginiaGreys

Tracey (hugs back) :cry1

Dodge is getting Evo and Natural Balance...he likes both, so I mix both for each meal. He also gets the evo in the can mixed in. Dodge has a tendency to have bowel problems...so I have to be really careful about switching foods. The evo by itself was too rich and gave him D, but the natural balance mixed in gives him wonderful poops. :blush

Today he weighed 66 pounds

Guest VirginiaGreys
When I was doing pain control for our Max, I'd give him Science Diet Prescription AD, which he LOVED, and it really seemed to help him keep down his meds, and was LOADED with protein and all kinds of good things :-)) Might want to try it! I mixed Max's with canned Chicken Soup food. He had almost three GOOD months, and even made the trip for HOTT HORRIBLE Florida to the mountains with us :-)) I am very greytful for that!

You do what YOU think is right, and WE will all be here to support you! Love you! Dee, Curfew, Goldie, Oakly, Staggerlee, and Cari. Of course, My Bob, (husband), Bold Energy, Max and Dasher, at The Bridge.

GO .. PAINT!!!!!!!!!!! It will help you! When my Bob (husband) was dying, I cleaned! Go, paint ... make it beautiful!

I will try...I cleaned the porch yesterday...may still have to go get a few things before actually painting...but will try to take some before/after pictures.

My husband and I are divorcing ....so the house needs a makeover first (mostly cosmetic)...so we can maximize as much as we can...that way we both will hopefully have more in our pocket after we sell.

:grouphug about Bob and your hounds that you've lost and for the advice. :grouphug

I'm sorry. :cry1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm sorry to hear this latest news :(

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Energy11

I will try...I cleaned the porch yesterday...may still have to go get a few things before actually painting...but will try to take some before/after pictures.

My husband and I are divorcing ....so the house needs a makeover first (mostly cosmetic)...so we can maximize as much as we can...that way we both will hopefully have more in our pocket after we sell.

:grouphug about Bob and your hounds that you've lost and for the advice. :grouphug

I am soooo sorry you are going through ALL OF THIS now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!, but, Sweetie, you NEED to do something to distract you. Painting the porch is perfect! TRUST ME, I have been there, and it will help! I would like you to give Dodge all the LOVE AND HUGS you can, and treat each and everyday, as a NEW ONE! It works!

WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dee and all my greys,... Bob, too :-))

I am so sorry to hear about the cancer returning...how sad...I too was so hoping he would beat it. :grouphug I hope you have many good days left with Dodge.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Energy11
I am so sorry to hear about the cancer returning...how sad...I too was so hoping he would beat it. :grouphug I hope you have many good days left with Dodge.

YES, shes does have many good days with him, and THAT is what is most important now, ... that, and pain control. I have been there, done that, with a husband AND a hound ... D

Guest Vinnie

Oh Diane - I am so sorry, beyond words. Sending hugs, prayers for many good days to follow (on all levels) and extra scritches for Sweet Dodge. Take lots of pictures, cuddle with him, of course extra treats and lots of visits with friends. Hope they can find something to help him that he does like - so hard when they don't want to take their meds - Vinnie was a champion pill spitter!