Oh Shelby!

Guest shelbygirl07

Guest shelbygirl07

So I came home from work on Wednesday night and had NO power. I walked into complete darkness and smelled burning.. i went to the basement, opened the door and realized it was coming from the circuit box in the basement. I grabbed my flashlight and flipped every circuit in the box and called the power company. They said they couldn't send anyone out until the next day. So... i had to pack up my 2 dogs, my 1 foster and my cat and drive them over to my mom's house and spend the night there.

Got up Thursday morning and took the dogs out.. fed them, packed them up and after all of that comotion, Shelby decided that instead of waiting for the hatch of my truck to be opened completely, before jumping in, she would try and throw herself into the truck when the hatch was only open 6 inches. I had asked her to wait but her excitement got the best of her. She hit the hatch extremely hard, bounced off and hit the ground. She got up, started yelping and running around in circles screaming while limping. I looked at her and all i saw was a cut on her left shoulder blade. I touched her everywhere, and no reaction to pain. I took her back in the house, cleaned up her wound, dressed it and kept an eye on it all day.. She stopped limping and seemed to be ok. I woke up friday morning and she had this 10 inch blood bruise running down the entire left side of her chest and underneith. She didn't want me touching the area. So i put her in the truck and took her to the vet.

She cracked 2 ribs and has a nasty nasty blood bruise that seems to have spread. It was a distinct "L" shape pattern from the corner of the hatch hitting her on friday. Today, it has spread throughout her entire left side. I called my vet and she said that the blood that was caught under her skin is just shifting and that she should make a full recovery from the bruise in a couple of weeks. It looks horrendous.. I won't post pics because you'll end up getting sick to your stomach. Her ribs seem fine enough for her to do zoomies in the back yard and the cut is healing well.

She cowers away from the hatch area of the truck now, even though she wants to enter the vehicle to go places with me.

She is on restrictive duty for the next couple of weeks and that means she can't come to school with me and play with the puppies.. Poor shelby! I feel so bad that this happened. She has never done this before so i'm just shocked at the fact that it happened. She got lots of treats and a nice cool sponge bath the last few days...

oh, OUCHIE!!!!! :( :( :( :( :(

sending healing hugs and prayers to Shelby! :hope:bighug:hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Oh, poor Shelby. I hope she heals quickly.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Arnica gel may help with the bruise. Hope she's feeling better soon.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

My angel Emmy did the exact same thing but thankfully didn't hurt herself. These girls are in such a hurry to get in the car I don't think they think at all.

Heal quickly Shelby. Hopefully lesson learned.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Oh, poor Shelby. Feel better soon, sweetie! :kiss2

I could totally see Toby and Robin doing this. When they hear the beeping sound from the hatch on the back of my Pacifica going up, they absolutely go insane and frequently try to launch themselves into the back when the hatch is barely up.

They are so obsessed with going for car rides that it's hard for one person to control them!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Oh Shelby, feel better. Tanner did that and split the entire bridge of his nose and did damage to his neck.

Now, I always go out first, open the hatch and then come out with them. Wayne and Ekko would have done the same thing.

Feel better pretty girl

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Poor Shelby and you! At first I laughed when you said "she threw herself into that six inch opening" because I had the visual. What an ordeal that must have been for you and your babies to get out the house fast. So sorry to hear about the ribs and bruising on Shelby. Tell her we are all thinking about her and have our paws crossed that she feels better real soon! :dogcookie:getwell

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Just a note to say that if you do use the Arnica gel make sure you do not get it anywhere near an open wound. It's my understanding that it is extremely painful if you do.

Guest shelbygirl07

Just a note to say that if you do use the Arnica gel make sure you do not get it anywhere near an open wound. It's my understanding that it is extremely painful if you do.

where do i get that gel or tabs? her bruise looks horrible. i had to put a sweater on her to take her out because 2 of my new neighbors have made comments already. so i am hiding it, it looks really bad.. i keep looking at it and getting sick.. just thinking of the discomfort but she's still doing zoomies...

Oh that made me cringe. You can get arnica gel at most health food stores. I use it, but for severe bruising I like Traumeel I use the drops or tablets for severe bruising or cuts that bruise. That way you don't have to rub the sore area. It is a holistic med and I've had a lot of good result from it both with the dogs and for myself.

Feel better soon Shelby.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest VelvetEars

I get arnica at a pharm that also has homeopathics, or you can order online at 1-800homeopathy.com. (They may even be able to tell you who carries it in your area.)

Helichrysum essential oil on a compress placed on the bruise regularly will also do wonders.

Guest lynne893

those blood bruises are awful! timber has had them. they scare you almost worse than the other things that are wrong!

sorry for your poor shelby's injuries!

Guest FullMetalFrank

I hope she heals quickly; when Chelsa first came home she liked to try and jump under the back door of my Yukon (I have the double doors, she would try and jump in while standing UNDER one of them!) She nearly whacked her back a couple of times but now we have taught her to wait until we have the doors fully open and tell her to load up.

I can imagine the bruises look awful and I hope Shelby isn't hurting too badly; get well soon!

Guest shelbygirl07

thing is, she was taught and told to wait. for 2 years now, never an incident and all of a sudden... it happened. Excitement and a truck hatch is a bad combination. I gave her a cool sponge bath last night to help with the pain and she got a massage after. she was in heaven..lol