Mn's Valentino

Greys4Us

Valentinonice-1.jpg

Mn’s Valentino

8/9/1997 – 3/30/2009

Valentino2.jpg

We said goodbye to our precious Valentino today. He started limping in early February. Because of his age, we took him to our vet for an x-ray. The diagnosis was osteo in his upper left leg. We were devastated but knew that this was possible because of his age. We decided to do pain management and get x-rays every two weeks to watch him. In a month, the x-rays didn’t change and our vet suggested we take Val to an ortho vet to have the x-rays read. Val had not changed in attitude and was his healthy sweet self all along except that we noticed some days he seemed to not be doing well and was in pain. The ortho vet could not confirm that he had osteo and felt that perhaps he had a herniated disc which could be corrected surgically. We were thrilled! To make sure this diagnosis was correct, we scheduled an MRI. Our vet told us that the MRI revealed that Val did indeed have osteo in the shoulder area. It had advanced to the point that we needed to make a decision on what to do next. Val had remained stoic all along and because he was such a sweet natured dog, he never showed how much pain he was in.

We helped Val to the bridge today. We had to face the fact that he was having a more difficult time moving around and we didn’t want his pain to become unmanageable before we let him go. This was such a difficult and painful decision because he seemed to be so good some days. He never lost his appetite and he loved the tramadol laced treats he got on a regular basis. In the one extra month we had with Val we were on a roller coaster ride – one moment thinking we were going to lose him, the next thinking that he would be with us much longer - and back to facing the worst again. But in that time we had the wonderful blessing of being together one day at a time and knowing that we were given the opportunity to make each day special. We spent every moment we had loving him and giving him extra care and for that we feel lucky.

Val was my heart dog. He was my ray of sunshine, cutting through the dark forest some days to add beauty and calm to chaos. No matter what happened, I could always give Val a hug and everything would seem so much better. He was the first dog we adopted after the heartbreak of losing our first greyhound – and after we said we’d never adopt again. We fostered many hounds and then one day Val walked into our house and lives and stayed. He was the dog that got us past the loss we felt. He gave back so much in the years he spent with us. We kept his track name because “Valentino” seemed so appropriate for him. He was the most loving friend a human could have. He loved children, all animals, and was always free with the kisses. He was a wonderful dog at meet and greet events because he loved everyone he met and would always greet everyone with a gentle tail wag and a kiss. He was such a gentle dog and one that never discriminated. He loved everything and everybody. He was our bed buddy. We can’t imagine how the night will be without the warmth of his body somewhere on the bed.

Valentinoourlove.jpg

God speed our sweet man. Look for Cody, Keisha, Ford, Craiger and Apache at the bridge. Wait for us. But in the meantime you will be so greatly missed here. And you have been so greatly loved.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful boy.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Pain is the price we pay for love. It seems, from your wonderful tribute to Valentino, that he did what he was meant to do. Heal your heart and love you as only these hounds can do. I'm sorry that you have had to say goodbye to your wonderous Valentino. He rests, snuggled in the place in your heart that is his alone.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

I am so sorry for your loss.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I am so sorry for your loss.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am so very sorry. The ultimate gift of love is the most painful to give. May your memories bring comfort.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Val.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest LoveMyJoseyBean

Such a sweet boy. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Run fast and free on the wings of angels, Beautiful Valentino.

Godspeed, friend.

f_yellow f_yellow f_yellow

:f_red I am so sorry it was his time to leave, he leaves behind a legacy of love. He fought a fight with dignity and grace, bless him for that. There must have been a very important job he was needed to do as only he could do.

God speed handsome boy, and run now with all the Angels, pain free. Please continue to watch over those who love you and are lost without you.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest gennygrey

Oh Hettie,

I am so sorry for your loss. I was so hopeful that it was not osteo. May god bless you and Bill through this painful time. My dog Duke will be waiting for him at the bridge. May you find peace in knowing that he is no longer in pain and is free from his cancer. Again, my heart goes out to you and your family. Hug and hold the ones close to you tonight and may you feel comfort in the arms of those who love you. Again, I am so sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful hound and he loved you so. :bighug

Edited by gennygrey