The Results Are In For Beau

The SNAP TBD- negative, the PCR is going to NC and will take another week. NO septic arthritis, cytology shows "inflammation">

Vet feels it is autoimmune (or immune mediated) polyarthritis. The good news is that you don't die from this, the bad news is that it can reoccur and affect different joints. It's secondary to this IBD.

We will stay on the 30mg of pred (it has been lowered from 50mg) and imuran along with the doxy.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Counting blessings. I'm glad that its not worse. Hugs and kisses for Beau

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Not great, certainly, but could have been so much worse. At least it's not something that can take your Beau away from you. Thank goodness. Did your vet feel confident enough to call this a positive and final diagnosis?

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Wow.

Robin - check your PM!

I'm nauseous over this.

Even though negative sounds like "good news", other than cancer and such, the negative is not good.

It means he has this this horrible and painful disease, secondary to his IBD and will probably have to be on pred for the rest of his life.

It can affect other limbs and worse, organs. It's not a good diagnosis.

Had it been TBD, he could be treated with antibitotics and that would be that. But no, we don't do things like that in this house.

I'm sorry. I am pissy about this.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Well, it is certainly not a good diagnosis, but I think, it is always better to know what you are dealing with. It sucks that he will never be completely well, but hopefully you can find a way to manage this like you have with his IBD, and he will have a nice long good quality life! :bighug

Guest Hollys2hounds

Robin,

Just to be clear, I realize this is not really "good" news, but... you will be able to manage it, and you know what it is when he has a flare up.

I am so sorry you are going through all of this.

Gigantic hugs

Holly

Wow.

Robin - check your PM!

I'm nauseous over this.

Even though negative sounds like "good news", other than cancer and such, the negative is not good.

It means he has this this horrible and painful disease, secondary to his IBD and will probably have to be on pred for the rest of his life.

Had it been TBD, he could be treated with antibitotics and that would be that. But no, we don't do things like that in this house.

You have every right to be pissy about it. Yes, it is better than a cancer diagnosis. I am sorry to say it will be more roller coaster for you. But there are dogs that do very well with treatment. If you have not already priced Imuran, check Costco. They had it for $45 versus $395 at some other places I looked. I may even have some left over from Shanti. We had to discontinue the prednisone and imuran when the staph infection and VF reared it's head. Shanti was on Pepcid too with the imuran and prednisone. The imuran made Shanti horribly sick and miserable. It improved a bit with some time. Lots of regular bloodwork will need to be done to watch the values. We did see a improvement with Shanti on Cephalexin (although it made her sick too) for a little while, then it stopped.

I am sure Jordan sent you the articles on it. If not I can send them to you. PM me anytime. We have ridden this roller coaster before. :(

The Girls

Robin,

You have ever right to be pissy. We are praying... I am really sorry. :grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

it must be a relief to have a diagnosis, even if it's not a great one. i don't blame you for being pissy about it. the good thing is that from my point of view, the pissiness (if that's a word) is manifesting itself in determination to help Beau as best you can.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Wow.

Robin - check your PM!

I'm nauseous over this.

You have every right to be pissy about it. Yes, it is better than a cancer diagnosis. I am sorry to say it will be more roller coaster for you. But there are dogs that do very well with treatment. If you have not already priced Imuran, check Costco. They had it for $45 versus $395 at some other places I looked. I may even have some left over from Shanti. We had to discontinue the prednisone and imuran when the staph infection and VF reared it's head. Shanti was on Pepcid too with the imuran and prednisone. The imuran made Shanti horribly sick and miserable. It improved a bit with some time. Lots of regular bloodwork will need to be done to watch the values. We did see a improvement with Shanti on Cephalexin (although it made her sick too) for a little while, then it stopped.

I am sure Jordan sent you the articles on it. If not I can send them to you. PM me anytime. We have ridden this roller coaster before. :(

Remember, Beau has been on pred and imuran since January for his IBD.

The IBD is enough of a rollar coaster. The only food he can eat is z/d wet or dry, in a bowl or in a kong. That is the only choice of food for my PICKY eater. Why Beau?! Now THIS, which is a result of the IBD.

Was this a secondary disease for Shanti?

Guest PiagetsMom

As we say at our house, we never do anything the easy way. I understand your pissiness. Unfortunately, this is one of those things that, while you wish you didn't have to, you just have to deal with it. And, you will :grouphug

Gosh Robin I am sorry Beau has yet something else to battle. Clay never developed the polyarthritis but he had a continual series of "auto immune" issues that affected his eyes, pads on his paws, ears and the almost constant itchy skin. He was a high maintenance hound but I loved him to pieces and each time we faced a "new issue", we tried to figure out a way to manage. Many days my sweet boy had to wear his long legged pj's with socks to cover his body and prevent hot spots. I am sorry that Beau now faces the polyarthritis and I hope the adjustment in his meds helps him feel better very soon. I think of you and Beau often and keep Beau in my prayers. :grouphug

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Wow.

Robin - check your PM!

I'm nauseous over this.

The IBD is enough of a rollar coaster. The only food he can eat is z/d wet or dry, in a bowl or in a kong. That is the only choice of food for my PICKY eater. Why Beau?! Now THIS, which is a result of the IBD.

Sorry, I forgot about the Imuran. I remember the prednisone. This was one of the first diagnosis for Shanti. When we immune suppressed her the rest showed up. Shanti also had babesia and was treated. They considered IBD with her for a while, but we never ran that test.

So if he was already on the medicine you may have seen the worst already. Did they say how long they would keep him on the high dose before they start the taper down? You dropped down on pred. already. Will they drop again?

I will keep my fingers crossed this does the trick and puts him in a remission of it.

The Girls

Guest myjazzy

I'm sorry it's not better news, but at least you know what you are dealing with. Unfortunately, once you get an auto-immune disease, your chances of getting others are a lot higher. But, since you know this now, any other issues (heaven forbid) that Beau may have, auto-immune is the first place to look so you will find the cause faster. That being said, I really hope that Beau doesn't have any more issues. It does suck to have a sick baby. And I feel for all of you. :grouphug

Guest crazy4greys

That is what Becky, the greyhound WAG has been taking care of has.

She is 56#'s now and is on Pred and something else I can't remember.

Good thoughts for Beau. :hope

Edited by crazy4greys

I'm sorry you didn't get good news, but as has been said by others, you know what you're dealing with. I hope you can get Beau's medical issues under control quickly. I know you must be so worn out.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Wow.

Robin - check your PM!

I'm nauseous over this.

So if he was already on the medicine you may have seen the worst already. Did they say how long they would keep him on the high dose before they start the taper down? You dropped down on pred. already. Will they drop again?

I hope we've seen the wosrt!!! That would be a good thing.

We prob won't be dropping the pred. If anything, we would be raising it again. For the swelling (if need be)

When Beau was on 50mg of pred, he was eating so well every 3 hours and although that was a PITA round the clock, the pred did make him eat... since we lowered it to 30 mg, we are deeding him every 5 hours. We need to maintain a certain amount of calories and the dam* food he is on, has low calories so we need to get a lot of food into him when he is not a big eater. I can't imaine lowering the pred. he won't eat.

That is what Becky, the greyhound WAG has been taking care of has.

She is 56#'s now and is on Pred and something else I can't remember.

Good thoughts for Beau. :hope

What heartbreaking story, poor baby.

Is there anyone interested in her? I wish we could. I really do.