My Angel Isis (doc's Terry)

greg1229

Ten years ago I finally bought a house and decided to keep a promise I made to myself way back when I was in high school working at Southland Greyhound Park..I said then that one day I would give a greyhound a spoiled retirement.

I contacted GPA-AZ and like everyone else told them I was wanting to adopt a greyhound and knew exactly what I was looking for..more or less. A black, fawn, red or cow doggie. The thought of a brindle wasn't even a brain pulse. And no older then 3 years

The TV station I work for heard I was wanting to adopt and decided to do a news story on greyhound adoption with my path to fatherhood as the subject. So one eveming GPA brought about 6 pups up to the station. All the colors I requested plus this shy little 55 lb. dark brindle little girl. I did the cursory pet and rub the pups and this little brindle sort of stayed in the shadows, head down. I was told she had been waiting for a forever home for about a year. No one was interested in her. She was not out going and goofy. Then all of the sudden she slowly walked up to me and put her nose under my hand. Everyone just stopped talking and stared. She had never gone up to any of the people they showed her to. And even though I had no intention of adopting a brindle and a 4 year at that, when I looked into her eyes something clicked and Doc's Terry became Isis my 4 year old child.

In all the years she owned me she never was a people person. Out in public or meet and greets we would go to, her favorite place to be was behind Daddy. Sticking her head out between my legs to look at everyone else. And that was just fine by me. Her favorite place to sleep at night was up on the bed with me. She had to have the pillow next to me place her head on my arm and let out that big sigh of contentment. She was sleep aggressive with other greyhounds but never once snapped or growled when she slept with me. Even when I rolled over on her a few times.

Fast forward almost 10 years....

New Years Eve, Isis came up lame on a rear leg. X-rays showed no signs of cancer, arthritis, broken bones. So the E-Vet figured at almost 14 years old more then likely a pulled muscle. After about 3 weeks she started using the leg more but not a lot. Then a couple of weeks ago her upper legged looked swollen. A few days later she quit using the leg altogether. And last Saturday her entire leg was swollen and it was dead weight.

Tuesday I took her to my vet and x-rays revealed a mass on her upper leg. Hoping it was merely a mass from Valley Fever a blood panel was done and it was negative. The vet looked closer at the x-rays and determined it was more then likely bone cancer and the mass had fractured the leg as well. At her age even with chemo or amputation it would probably only give her a few more months and they wouldn't be a good quailty few months.

So today, I took Isis to the vet and freed her of any pain and suffering she had or would be having soon. She passed quietly at 5:20 this evening. I held her head in my arms and petted and kissed her head and told her she would finally be catching the rabbit. She would not be alone, there would be other greyhound waiting to welcome her home. And one day we would be together again and she could watch the world from between my legs again and have Daddy's should to sleep against.

Isis, because of you, I adopted Bijou and then last year Ellie B. You were the one that made this place the Magic Foster House as well. There will never be another Isis in this home for you will always be here. If only in my heart and memories.

I know this time was drawing near and I made my memorial music video a month ago because now there is now way I could work on it. It hurts you are gone, but it would have been selfish on my part to keep you and let you be in pain.

Catch a rabbit for my Isis..

Daddy loves you always

Greg

th_obit11.jpg

Edited by greg1229

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a beautiful story. How lucky you were to have found each other! I'm so sorry she had to leave you :cry1

f_yellow:brokenheartDevonSympathy.jpg:brokenheartf_yellow

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

I am so very sorry :cry1 :cry1

You gave her the ultimate gift of love by letting her go before the pain became too much.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest LoveMyJoseyBean

Greg, I am absolutely positive that the time that fell between "...rolled over on her a few times" and "Fast forward ten years" were as perfect as they get. You will always have that. And she will be the first girl to greet you when you join her. After all, that's what our heaven will be when we ourselves get there.

Another star in the sky tonight, and her name is Isis. You will be missed, and not forgotten Daddy's Girl.

:f_pink :f_pink

Oh, Greg, I cried when I read about how she came up to you at your first meeting and put her nose under your hand. Sometimes they just know, and so do we, that they are exactly where they are supposed to be. And she was meant to be with you, for 10 wonderful years.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Isis.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest Jesshound

I am so sorry for your loss. You gave her a wonderful home and a happy life. She was very lucky to have you for a Daddy. She will always know how much you love her. :bighug

From one broken heart, to another, I am so sorry. :(

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

What a beautiful story of how Isis and you came to be togther and of your life together.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Run free Angel Isis.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

i'm very sorry to read of your losing isis.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

I'm so sorry. The story of how you met made me cry. She chose you. She is a special soul.

:f_pink :f_pink :f_pink :f_pink

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

I'm so sorry....I was sure hoping for a better diagnosis. I'm with RobinM, from one broken heart to another. Rest well, sweet Isis.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

What a beautiful tribute to your little girl. She leaves quite a legacy of love Greg and she is tucked so tightly in your heart.

God speed beautiful girl, run now with all the Angels who were there to greet you, pain free and young once again. Please continue to watch over all those who love you.

:gh_run

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless