Dowland Has Gone To The Bridge

Guest bowiebears

Guest bowiebears

This morning, I came downstairs at 10.15 to let Azalea, my heart dog brindle girl, out for her pre-breakfast romp.

When she got to the bottom of the stairs, she turned to the left, which is not her habit.

She went over to sniff Dowland, who was lying in a sunbeam in his library.

Dowland was always a heavy sleeper, and the last few months has been even more of a slow-moving old man, esp. in the mornings.

I let Azalea out into the backyard, and went to check on Dowland.

He had died in his sleep.

There was no indication before bedtime last night that there was any problem. We did hear him walking around during the night, but that was rather normal for him.

Dowland was our first greyhound. A gentleman all his life, he was very quiet and special in the ways that all our hounds are special to us. He particularly loved meeting people on the street, seemed to enjoy my singing in his ears while we cuddled on the floor (he never felt that a hound's place was on the furniture, and always looked surprised when Azalea would get up on the sofa or bed with us), liked to "play rabbit" in the backyard in his earlier days when he could chase the stuffy on the string. In his later years, he preferred to stand in place and wait for the rabbit to come near him so he could jump and catch it. He taught all our other hounds the rules of the house. He was a red brindle boy, a grandson of Dutch Bahama, and had magnificent eyes. His brindling was not standard. He looked more like he'd done a bad job of chaninging the oil in the car: a large black blot on his back, and a bit of marbling on his snoot. As he aged, much of his face became light golden yello and then pure white. He was a handsome pup, my sweetie boy, my gentleman, my red-gold treasure dog....

I cannot say that I am surprised at his passing. He was after all very old. Nonetheless, we miss him already.

We will be taking his body to the vet's for cremation, and his ashes will come home to us to join those of Sandy and Arlo.

I do not know yet if Azalea will be getting another housemate.

Unlike when Arlo left us in 2006, there have been no signs about who should come to us.

However, just the way I found Dowland, lying in his library in a sunbeam is a consolation and sign that he is waiting for us at The Bridge. Nonetheless, I am going to weep for our loss, knowing full well he would not want mme to cry over him. He is waiting and romping at the Bridge even now with his former housemates, Sandy & Arlo.

--Isaac & Jeff, with Azalea Stripeyhound

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry.

Godspeed, sunbeam man.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Aww guys, I'm so sorry. *hugs*

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

I am so sorry for your loss. Your beautiful boy went to the bridge peacefully and quietly in his sleep. It is always hard to say goodbye to such a cherished friend - try to remember him sleeping in a sunbeam, always content and happy. May all your memories of your sweet Dowland bring you comfort.

f_yellow f_yellow f_yellow

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I am so sorry he is gone, but, to go in peace, was his choice. You can always remember him, lying in his sunbeam.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest tobinhr

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your pups. What an eloquent essay on your precious dog!

Jan

Joey, who knows where the Bridge is and how to get there...

I'm so very sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Dowland.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

My deepest condolences to you for your loss. :grouphug Your sweet boy is in the best of company at the Bridge. :heart:gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Sending my sympathy for your loss of Dowland.

:f_red:grouphug:gh_run:f_red

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest EmbersDad
I am so sorry for your loss Isaac and Jeff. Do you have a photo of Dowland you could share with us?

f_yellow:f_redf_yellow:f_red

farewell dowland. find ember, she was a sunbeam junkie as well, im sure you two will have lots to gab about.

i agree, can we please see a pic of your beautiful boy?

:f_white:gh_run:f_white