Abbey Update #3

Guest Piila

After more x-rays and a fine needle aspiration yesterday, my vet, after insistance on my part, gave me his conclusion based on the FNA slides - osteo. The slides and the x-rays are in transit to dr. couto at OSU and should arrive tomorrow - fingers crossed that I get an answer on friday. seems I"m not the only one waiting for these results this week. this completely sucks. right now, he's not limping, but is stiff, and he's eating fine (especially with lots of sardines or other treats on his kibble) and he's on both metacam and tramadol. unfortunately i have a long wooden set of stairs leading up the back of the house to my apartment - I'm sick with worry that he's going to fall up or down them in the snow and ice.

i've chosen not to go the amputation/chemo route, although of course guilt eats away at me constantly with this decision. partially the expense, partially the possible complications and trauma that he will endure. he doesn't do well under anesthetic at all, and he's got a bleeding problem. i'm still guilt-ridden and it's killing me. worse, i'm supposed to be leaving on holiday/volunteer work with an NGO at the end of january for 5 weeks and wonder "what do I do?"? what happens between now and then? I know, I have to take things one day at a time, but I have to think of the future as well. guilt. how would I feel with him a half world away and if he takes a turn for the worse?

this is the worst christmas ever. for now, my baby is getting loved beyond belief, he gets everything and anything he wants. he is the sweetest animal in the world and I can't bear the thought of losing him, but I also can't leave him in pain.

Edited by Piila

I am so sorry :(

You have to do what you feel is most suitable for you and your boy.

Wishing you both lots days of fun, treats and kisses :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Love and live each moment at a time. That is what they are trying to teach us. They know. Say goodbye, be with him and then go. He lives in the moment. He only needs you with him in that last moment. Then you can go knowing that you were there with him when he needed you. You WILL see him again when he meets you at the bridge.

Paula, you know that I'm here if you need me. Anytime you need to, call me. I'm an eternal optimist, so I'm holding on to hope that OSU gives you better news. I'm also practical enough to know that the odds are slim, Enjoy that gooffy boy of yours. If you want to visit, let me know you can come and hang out here for while.

Diane has a good idea, I believe that Laura has one of the assist harnesses, ask her if you can borrow it. Hugs to Abbey, Andrew send you his best.

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Thanks Janet. My fingers are still crossed. If this experience has taught me one thing it's how much friends and supporters are important in such a hard time. I'm amazed at the outpouring of well wishes and prayers and support from the greyhound community. One of my best friends says that pets are here to teach us about our own mortality. I think he might be right. They are also here to teach us what is important in our lives - the people who you love and who support you.

i'm still guilt-ridden and it's killing me.

Please don't feel guilty. It doesn't help & will overshadow the time both of you have together. You love him & he loves you & each day is a new day. Every decision you make for him will be rooted in that love. Get him lots of pain killers & his favorite food.

I'm sorry you have to face this. I was living it this time last year with my girl. She suprised me with her strength. I'm sure your boy will surprise you too. :grouphug

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Oh God- I am so sorry.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest redreed

Paula - I'm so sorry!!! Stupid osteo, blech, blech, blech. And even though I know you will not heed this advice, try not to feel guilty about your decision. You know him best and you have to decide what's right!! I had to make a similar decision once and chose the route you are taking. It's hard but when we know what we know is right. I understand your concerns for the future, I'd be concerned too, but you seem to have the right attitude with the one day at a time thing.

You guys are in my prayers and thoughts,

Renee

I'm sorry that's the diagnosis so far. :(

Please don't feel guilty. It's your job to do what you judge best for your pup, and I believe you're doing that.

Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Geez... :cry1 I hope the news from OSU is different. :hope In terms of choices, I've faced that same decision several times and it's always difficult and guilt-producing. You know your boy the best and will take into consideration all factors. You have my full support and understanding for whatever path you choose, as it is a decision made out of love. The idea about using a sling, especially for stairs is a very good one. Holding Abbey in my prayers for much more quality time with you. :grouphug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I'm so sorry. I know exactly how you feel. This was the same decision I made for Jack. It was the right one and I am so at peace with it. You know and love your dog best. There are going to be challenges for sure but please don't second guess yourself and feeling guilty is just wasting your precious time with your baby. :grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Sending my prayers and white light for your sweet baby and you also. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.