Status Update

Jeff

As you are probably well aware of, we are having some nasty server issues.

I have just been able to reroute most email traffic, so we finally have outbound traffic, and inbound is just forwarded to yahoo where we can read it. This includes all support tickets as well, so we can finally make some headway on the backlog. I'll clear the pending donations tomorrow morning.

Other tickets that are more than a few days old, I'll just close. If you have a remaining problem, submit a new ticket please.

It looks like the server will require a complete software rebuild, starting with repartitioning the hard drive array, and a new OS. My goodness what a PITA! The good news is that I am adding a 4th hard drive, but the bad news is that we actually loose space that way.... yeah go figure. We will be moving from a RAID5 array to RAID10. That should better suit us for the small rapid writes we do to the database all the time.

Details are not finalized, but there will most likely be 2+ days of down time. Due to my location, and poor internet service, there is no chance of setting up the test server for you all to use while the rebuild goes on. This is something I was able to do in the past, but can not do it here in Alaska.

I am not sure when it will happen yet either. I have a lot of OS and other software licensing to work out still, and I am leaving Thursday for 2 weeks.

Hopefully the rebuild will be done before xmas.

Since it will be a full server software update, there will be lots of changes that are not compatible with our current site integration. Things like how the chat room integrates with the forum user database. The helpdesk ticket system will not work at all in its current form, etc. We will be moving forward with new versions of the backend software that runs the forum and most other things (php,mysql,java, etc) and some things like the helpdesk won't work on the new backend. I will however update the helpdesk, to a version that works, but we will loose the integration until a later date. (think about how many avatars we process with that missing integration.... thousands) My job at the moment just does not allow for the time required to get it done as efficiently as in the past. When I am out to sea for 8 months per year, the remaining 4 are pretty filled getting ready to deploy again, and with training, etc. I'll be in CT for a few weeks in Jan, than back out to sea not long after.

I'll most likely install just a plain vanilla forum, of the latest revision. It will work just the same, but some of the little things I have done will not be there. Things like seeing if you have replied or forwarded a PM. There are probably a hundred or so little improvements that I have made to the stock forum, that won't be put back on immediately. Some cosmetic, and some function.

A new major update to the forum should be released early next year, and I won't be around for that release. I'll return mid year, and install that version, which will be much easier since we will already be on a base forum code. I'll then begin work on fixing that one up with all the little things that make Greytalk unique.

Our members are unique, so that will have to do for a while. I'll let you all know more, when I know it.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Sorry it's going to be so much work for you. I will probably whine a bit while GT is down, but the good news is, you won't hear me! :lol :lol :lol

Hope it all goes as smoothly as possible. Thanks, Jeff.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank you Jeff. I know this is a lot of work for you and we appreciate the time and effort that you put in to keep the board functioning.

4q7owg2.jpg

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Jeff, Thanks so much for all the "AWESOME" work you do on this forum with your limited time. We can all work through the issues with you, we are just blessed to have this forum. Thanks Again!

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Thanks for all your hard work, Jeff.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Cool, thanks for letting us know. And thanks for providing this great playground! :gmark

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

No idea what you just said Jeff, but thank you for all you do! :lol

Add my name to that list as well.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

Ditto what everyone else said (except that I mostly do understand what you said, at least up to the RAID 10 part - hadn't heard of that one), but on a more practical note - do we have enough $$ for all of this?

**heads off to check my donation status**

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

No idea what you just said Jeff, but thank you for all you do! :lol

Same here, not even a clue but am grateful!

Exactly. Don't get the technical stuff but I imagine it's time consuming and not fun. Thank ou so much for all you do!

Guest Redpack
Ditto what everyone else said (except that I mostly do understand what you said, at least up to the RAID 10 part - hadn't heard of that one), but on a more practical note - do we have enough $$ for all of this?

**heads off to check my donation status**

What she said. We appreciate all you do! Really!

Thanks for letting us know Jeff! :) :) :) Sounds like a major PITA for you, indeed. But thanks so much for all you do.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest GREYTGLITTER

Thanks for all you do to keep this site up & running :bow

I know I've had sporadic problems getting into GT but now I understand what's happening :eek

A 2 day outage will be tough but hopefully we'll know when it will be scheduled versus just trying to get on the site for 2 days.

Will you post something in the Announcements Forum prior to the outage?

Thank you Jeff, and Trudy too for keeping Greytalk up and running. I can't imagine life without it. I hope that both of you have a very special holiday season together, and a healthy, safe and happy New Year.

Carol Ann

P.S. Off to make an extra donation as I am sure all this upgrade stuff costs money!

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Did Trudy decide if she was going to go to CT in Jan or not? If either of you get bored while you're here (I bet you will! :lol ) maybe we can get together. Be happy to entertain you as best we can.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.