Spooks & Shy Dogs Poll

Spooks & Shy Dogs  

258 members have voted

1. 1. How many total greyhounds have you and your family adopted (past and present)?

• 20 or more
  2. 2. How many of them do (or did) you consider to be true spooks?

• 10 or more
  3. 3. How many of them do (or did) you consider to be very shy (beyond the usual transition fears)?

• 10 or more

Richy was our spook. For the 1st 3 months I had to carry him out of the house to go for a walk. If he heard any noise the walk was over. After 2 1/2 years he still prefers being in the house. Most of the time he will not even go in the backyard with the other 3. Ladybug and Tucker were my shy ones. Ladybug was an extreme. She was afraid of everyone but especially men. It took her 6 months before she came to me on her own. It took 11 months before she let any strangers pet her. Unfortunately a month later she died of bone marrow cancer at age 3. We now have had Tucker for 5 months and he still will not let a stranger get near him but he is my snuggle-bunny.

We adopted Dancing Bug in Sept. while she is rehabing from a broken leg because she is Ladybug's sister.

Edited by Bill419

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greytexplorer

Ester is my shyspook.

Do NOT look at her/make noises/walk past her while she is eating or thinking about eating because she will give up and run back to her bed :angryfire

This just drives me :crazy

Frank, in my opinion is a spook. He is constantly in fight or flight mode even after 4 years with me. He has to be on a bed with his back to the wall, so no one can sneak up on him. He never raced because he was afraid of everything; trainers, the noises and life in general. Strangers terrify him, though when Mike and Judy were here, he did come out to the yard to investigate, but a stranger will never be able to touch him. He still licks his lips and yawns when something new happens or when he's unsure about a situation, indicating how nervous and uncomfortable he's feeling.

Frank came to me after he escaped his new adopted owner and after being at the track adoption kennel for a year. He wasn't in his new home for more than 3 days and off he went. Nancy(Nancy14), myself, and our husbands spent weeks searching for Frank and he was finally trapped. Nancy had seen him while he was in the track adoption, and she said he was a very shy boy, and she had a soft spot for him. I know he'd be living with her right now if she didn't have a dog limit. The trainers told me he cowered in his crate, and had gotten loose in the kennel compound and it took days for the trainers to catch him. They said he was the spookiest dog they had ever come across and they couldn't even get him through training.

He's wonderful in our pack because they give him confidence, and he's most comfortable when his housemates surround him and he can get lost in the crowd. His best buddies are my shy brindle brothers, we lovingly refer to them as "dumb, dumber and dumbest". They aren't dumb at all, it was just funny that the shy ones decided to bond together. I cry every time Frank gets brave enough to try something new, and I was a blubbering mess the first time I threw a toy and he ran back to me with it.

It took almost a year before he really let me into his world, and I think he sees me now as another dog. He seeks me out for pets and kisses on the nose, he lays his head in my lap and trys to melt into me, but I still can't give him a hug. Frankie barks when he needs to eat or go out, and can actually be quite bossy with me, but he's always ready to run if there's a fast movement, loud noise or something new in his house or yard. Trips to the vet are a nightmare. I have to pull the van into the yard to load him, and park my van right at the vet door so he only has a few feet to get inside. I don't breathe until we're safely inside.

I love this boy more than words can say and 4 years later I still rejoice when Frankie gets a little braver.

Tomorrow will be Frank's 6th month of being cancer free. He was diagnosed with hemangioperisarcoma on Jun. 3rd. We celebrate everyday that the cancer doesn't come back, we celebrate each day that Frank is with us and the huge strides he's made since he was running the streets, state park and highways in Geneva Lake, WI. Who would have ever known that an e-mail from Nancy asking for help searching for a lost dog, would change my life forever.

The 2 shy litter-mates were unsocialized and it took a couple months for them to figure out that the world and people weren't so bad. Both boys are love-bugs now, and as long as I stick to a routine they're happy, friendly boys.

Flippy is a little shy in my opinion, but her shyness is from a lack of confidence and confusion. Her world has been upset this past year, but she's gaining more and more confidence every day.

After working with my boys and a few other shy fosters, I've found that routine works the best for them. It helps build confidence because they always know what's coming, and when they know what's happening at any given time there's no room for error. Those 3 boys and the shy fosters were the easiest to house-train, though it was difficult getting them back inside sometimes. Leaving a door open in the middle of winter so Frank and Hatter would come inside after potty time was fun. Sometimes the door was open for an hour with us being afraid to move in fear that it would send them skittering across the yard.

It was all worth it and I'd take another spook without even thinking about it.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Diamond is far from a spook, but I think she fits pretty squarely in the "shy" category. If we're around new people (or even family members/friends she's been around quite a bit) she can usually be found hiding behind our legs. After a year of cautious coaxing, FIL has finally gained her trust, which means a lot to him. Shy dogs are really special.

Of course, in her "safe zone," at home with us, she's a wild girl.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I would classify Raven as borderline spooky. She has come a very long way in the years we've had her. She used to cower from DH and was terrified even to leave the house for a walk. Now she loves DH and enjoys going places, though she's still very shy around strangers. Certain things do send her into a full-fledged panic. She is absolutely terrified of anyone wearing a baseball cap. I can put on a baseball cap, and even though she knows it's me she will cower in fear. She is freaked out by tall dark-haired men and by brooms or mops. When faced with those particular situations she will do anything to escape--and has even twisted out of a snugly-fitted Premier Surefit harness in 3 seconds flat to do so.

When I think of a true spook, though, I think of a couple of dogs we looked at when we were adopting our first hound. These two individuals would actually curl up shivering and hide their faces when a stranger entered the kennel. Even though we knelt down and spoke gently to them, they wouldn't look at us. They couldn't bear to be touched. They just totally shut down. Those guys were at the kennel for a very long time before they were adopted.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest team_weasel

We've adopted 3.. none are spooks or shy. I guess we're lucky! Many, many fosters have gone through our doors -- everything from spooks to bullies... I think we've had it all.

The first time I met Gabby, she belonged to a friend of mine. Tina would bring her to all the events & as soon as Gabby got there, she'd curl up & go to sleep...that was her way & still is, to deal with things she's afraid of. I can take her to the vet & once we get in the room, before Dr. B comes in, she's curled up in a corner asleep.

Gogh...first time I met him, he was 18 months old & afraid of everything! He was all eyes! He'd go out in the turn out pen & play & then slink back into the building passed everyone...they had to put him in a bottom crate because you couldn't catch him or touch him to help him in a top one. His trainer said they like to never got him in the starting box to train, then when the door would open, he wouldn't come out.

To this day, and he's 6...he's still afraid of strangers & if I make a sudden move, or touch him wrong, he'll scream. He literally hides behind me when we're in public.

I took him to the greyhound reunion last year, he slept the entire time.

Guest greyvettech

3 greys total...2 here, one @ the bridge..My first girl, Lexi (now 7) was such a spook,as being a new grey owner then, they actually told me that I should choose another dog because she would 'need a lot of work' I refused and that made me want her even more.... At first, she would not come out of her kennel and was scared of the world- She is still shy but a totally different dog now!

http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj232/g...nt=1f144966.pbr

Edited by greyvettech

Guest grey_dreams

Zuki is a galgo from Spain. The galgos have horrible lives in Spain. He came here to his forever home 14 months ago. He is extremely insecure and probably a borderline spook. When I first met him after he arrived with the transport, he wouldn't let anyone get close to him. But it only took about 30 minutes to gain his trust so he would let me get close and take him for a walk. Luckily he loves riding in the car. He wasn't afraid of traffic and normal city noises. But he was terrified of wind, flags, awnings, signposts in front of shops, sudden loud noises, any leaves plastic bags or debris moving in the wind. He was afraid of men (this is usual for galgos because most of them are beaten). He was terrified of smooth/shiny floors and stairs. He refused to go out in the rain (which is a real problem in Amsterdam because it rains so much).

Now, 14 months later, he has come so far! As long as I'm with him, he likes to greet strangers and get pets. He still doesn't like wind and rain but he will tolerate it when we go out. He can now walk underneath flags and awnings, but is still wary especially if they're flapping in the wind. We worked hard on stairs because we live on the 4th floor, and he overcame his fear of them pretty quickly. His floor fears are almost completely gone. But he is still reluctant to go into new places. If the place is a large bright room he will enter without much fear, but if it's small or dark he refuses to enter. Probably he has terrifying experiences of small dark places in Spain that will be with him for a long time.

Zuki has such a deep soul. He is my heart and my black beauty. When I think of all he's been through and how far he has come it makes me love him even more.

2424257650_f891686b47_o.jpg

Guest houndlover

I have one that was a spook when I adopted him but 6 years later he is doing just fine. I would now consider him a shy dog, not a spook. It took us a long time and a lot of patience to get past the spooky part. I had many, many people tell me that if Casey had been their dog, they don't know that they would have been able to keep him but I felt as though I made a committment to him the day I brought him home. He had been on anti anxiety meds for a couple of years and he also seemed to be less spooky when I started fostering and eventually adopted another grey. It definitely was a long road and he still has a lot of issues but I wouldn't trade him for the world.

I have not adopted a spook, but as of yesterday took in my first spook foster. And it is already a learning experience. I was use to my fosters figuring out the dog door in a day. Lynn will look at it, look at the other dogs go in and out but will freeze up if she gets too close to it. Not even tasty treats will coax her through it. So I have been gently leading her to it and nudging her from behind to help her learn. But not forcing her through. She will poke her head through and I will stop and just speak softly to her and pet her. Then usually just bump her hindend and she goes on through. I go out and praise and pet her and she will run circles around me and actually come up for attention.

Today is the first day she will actually come near me. So instead of towering over her to pet her I get to her level and she will stick her nose out at me. If I lay on the floor she will come to me, but if I make a sudden move she is off to the back bedroom for a short while.

I know this is going to be a learning experience for both of us but I have next week off so I have time to work with her on the dog door and I got several bottles of enzyme pet stain remover.. :lol And this morning I needed it.. :lol

Tonight she feels she has to lay on the blankets near me but not a fan of me touching her. So I just ignore her and I know it will take time.

I've wanted to foster a spook for a long time now and i know it will be a lot of work. But I know the rewards are going to be so worth all the stain remover, towels and laundry when all is said and done

Greg

The Magic Foster House

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Zuki is a galgo from Spain. The galgos have horrible lives in Spain. He came here to his forever home 14 months ago. He is extremely insecure and probably a borderline spook. When I first met him after he arrived with the transport, he wouldn't let anyone get close to him. But it only took about 30 minutes to gain his trust so he would let me get close and take him for a walk. Luckily he loves riding in the car. He wasn't afraid of traffic and normal city noises. But he was terrified of wind, flags, awnings, signposts in front of shops, sudden loud noises, any leaves plastic bags or debris moving in the wind. He was afraid of men (this is usual for galgos because most of them are beaten). He was terrified of smooth/shiny floors and stairs. He refused to go out in the rain (which is a real problem in Amsterdam because it rains so much).

Now, 14 months later, he has come so far! As long as I'm with him, he likes to greet strangers and get pets. He still doesn't like wind and rain but he will tolerate it when we go out. He can now walk underneath flags and awnings, but is still wary especially if they're flapping in the wind. We worked hard on stairs because we live on the 4th floor, and he overcame his fear of them pretty quickly. His floor fears are almost completely gone. But he is still reluctant to go into new places. If the place is a large bright room he will enter without much fear, but if it's small or dark he refuses to enter. Probably he has terrifying experiences of small dark places in Spain that will be with him for a long time.

Zuki has such a deep soul. He is my heart and my black beauty. When I think of all he's been through and how far he has come it makes me love him even more.

2424257650_f891686b47_o.jpg

My Galgo, Argos, refuses to go out in the rain too!! You have to carry him out to potty if it rains all day.

I'm glad Zuki has made such strides. I think Argos, as well as he's been doing, has quite a ways to go...but he also has a deep soul and is so greatful fr every thing...so rewarding.

l_c5b5cfdc82cf49d48c77a18b2ff67585.jpg

Guest CorbysMom

Spottydog was my spook. He was found with a picket from a picket fence shoved in his rectum and what looked to be pitchfork wounds to his chest. One of his lungs was nicked when he was injured. It took many hours of surgery to fix his physical wounds - the wounds you could see.

It took years and years to mend the emotional wounds - the wounds you couldn't see. Spotty was afraid of the back yard, going for walks, wind, breeze, stillness, sudden movements, anything resembling a stick, plastic bags and the sound they made, long hair, shoes, mud, snow, the noise of a car driving down the street, music, the tv.....I could go on and on and on. The things he loved was going in the car (as long as he didn't have to get out) and food! And he wasn't afraid of ceiling fans - go figure. :rolleyes:

We had Spotty for years and my parents never saw him. Spotty hauled azz every time they came to visit. I worked tirelessly with Spottydog. His world was so small and he had no clue that there were good people who loved him and would protect him.

He went to Dewey, but we stayed at a remote motel so I could bring him back to defragment when he needed it. I spent a lot of time for many years driving Spotty back and forth to the motel. He couldn't stand being in such a stressful situation for too long. Forget the tents. Spot never saw the inside of the vending tents. He could never have survived that. But he did love children as long as they approached slowly. I guess they weren't intimidating to him. We went to the playground at Dewey and the kids were so incredibly respectful of Spotty when I told them he was scared. He loved the bay, so I took him to play in the rushes and splash in the water in a secluded area. Spotty enjoyed Dewey on his own terms because I made sure he felt safe.

He loved me. That boy truly, truly loved me, but it took so much understanding and patience to get him to the point where I could so much as pet him. I collapsed into a heaping pile of tears when Spottydog looked at me, took a deep breath, jumped on the couch and with a wuffle and a sigh.....fell asleep with his head in my lap. I didn't move for over an hour - I just sat there with tears streaming down my face. We belonged to each other, hook, line and sinker from then on.

Once he trusted me, his world got larger. He knew I would protect him and he would go out with me, but he shook the entire time. That boy had the biggest heart I've ever seen. He had every reason to distrust life and the people in it, but he decided to trust one more time. I'm so very, very grateful he decided to love me.

231012078.jpg

Edited b/c I can't type.

Edited by CorbysMom

Guest grey_dreams
It took years and years to mend the emotional wounds - the wounds you couldn't see...

That boy truly, truly loved me, but it took so much understanding and patience to get him to the point where I could so much as pet him. I collapsed into a heaping pile of tears when Spottydog looked at me, took a deep breath, jumped on the couch and with a wuffle and a sigh.....fell asleep with his head in my lap...

231012078.jpg

Your story touched me very deeply. He was so blessed that you found him, and I feel from your words that it was a blessing for you to have found him too. His photo says everything, what a beautiful and noble boy.

I love reading these stories. And I love the spooks. Our Angel Buster seemed to be a spook (but I think he was more very shy than a true spook) when he came to us as a foster. He was 8 years old, a 2 time bounce, and had been super shy in both homes. He was especially afraid of men and kids, but seemed to be drawn to my husband Doug immediately. Since he had so many issues, and we'd never had an extremely shy dog, we planned to foster him, then let him go. But we kept holding him back from adoption days to see if he'd adjust. We did decide that we'd at least try, but if he didn't get a home, then he was meant to stay with us. And when we finally took him, about 4 months later, he cowered in his cage, head down, eyes raised, low growl. Always attractive to perspective adopters! Needless to say, Buster came back home with us, and we had a "Duh!" moment. The guy knew the minute he walked in our door that he had found his forever home, and it took us 4 months to realize it! When we succumbed, we fell so deeply in love with him that we were certain he was meant to be ours. He did improve gradually, but it took a long time. We'd never taken him to GIG or Dewey, but after a few years, decided to give it a try. Well, first he got his leg stuck inside his coat and fell out of the car at a rest stop, and halfway to Gettysburg, he took a huge dump in the car. And behind the Battlefield Holiday Inn one very dark night, I'm sure he saw a ghost! Then there was the table dancing episode at McShea's in Dewey.... He wore a red bandanna at functions for years, but finally outgrew it. But Buster, oh Buster.... what a complex, hapless, tough or terrified on the outside, tender at the core, loyal, devoted guy. God how I loved him!

I think we become so enamoured of the shy ones because it feels like such an honor that they have chosen YOU, chosen you to trust and to love. And whatever the time frame, each victory is to be celebrated, knowing that it happened because the right dog found exactly the right family.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Of my four, Lewis is the only one that's really, really shy. He's not really a spook...he just prefers to be home with me and not venture out. My sister, who really doesn't get out here that often, is the only other person who can get close to him (and that's only after a few minutes). We look a lot alike so sometimes it confuses him and he runs up to her, thinking it's me and then it's like "hey, wait a minute...you're not momma!" and he makes a quick retreat. The other three are outgoing, friendly and would go home with anyone (especially Lizzie!).

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

I voted Bailey as extremely shy but according to your definition she would have been considered a spook. It took her 4 years to go in the back yard on her own. When we got her we had to crawl in her crate and carry her outside so she's come a long way in 4 years. If people come to visit though, she still goes upstairs. In fact she goes upstairs when I come back from my early morning jog. Mind you I do look pretty scary.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

• 1 year later...
Guest FastDogsOwnMe

One was very shy. He did not fear me, but he feared anyone but me and my (sadly now deceased) partner. They were quite bonded. This was a long time ago, and I pulled the dog from a shelter.

I have had about 15-20 TRUE spooks come through here and be fostered, but they were Salukis and a couple of Borzoi, not Greyhounds.

Guest scfilby

Cy was/is a super spook. We took him just for that reason. He is still scared of nearly everything, but he is friendly and out going with us.