Nelly Has Lost Her Battle With Kidney Disease

Guest Greensleeves

I am SO sorry. My deepest sympathy and prayers. :grouphug

Oh Mama Nelly. Your work here is now done. The Angels have called you and it is now time to join others who have passed before you. Angel Queenie informs me you arrived with bells on and with one HECK of an appetite! :) I know you girls are comparing notes and she told me that you own a cloud right next to hers for when it is rest time...clouds that provide a clear view to your families. I knew Angel Queenie would be right there to help you settle in and show you where the mushie trees are and where the cookies are. Queenie has told us so many times...there is no more "sick kidneys"...seizures...sickness or pain at the Bridge. Forever young and healthy once more until we meet again. I know that you will miss your family as they will miss you~but remember~they are only a heartbeat away. I know that all my Angels were there for you as all of our Angels on GT were. You kids have fun...stay together...and don't forget to send the Rainbows and sweet butterflies. Your family will always miss you~but they will celebrate your life until you meet again.

:f_pink:f_whitef_yellow

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 54 days of fighting like the trooper she always was, Nelly lost her battle tonight.

It turned out that the problem with her leg/s was not an injury sustained while at the hospital last week, but a complication (edema) from the kidney disease. Although she was thankfully spared some of the usual symptoms of end-stage renal failure, she was starting to exhibit signs of neurological impairment, pain, etc, and we just couldn't stand for her to suffer. She started crying on and off Saturday morning, was doing this odd seizure-like head-bobbing thing, and this morning she fell while trying to urinate, and we had to carry her back inside. It was really hard to make the decision without the input of any of her regular doctors (because, of course, it's Sunday!), but her doc at the hospital today was wonderful.

I know a lot of you won't remember Nelly, our Honorary Greyhound... but some of you might have been on the boards back in 2001 when she first came into our lives. We were a one-greyhound family until March 11, 2001--my husband's 30th birthday. We were driving home from a visit to his parents when we found an injured puppy on the side of the highway. As it turned out, Nelly was more than injured--she was PREGNANT--and just shy of two months later she gave us the rest of our family: her nine puppies. Nelly and her kids were a big part of Greytalk for a while all those years ago. This little girl survived being hit by a car twice, a pregnancy that would have killed her and her puppies if not for emergency C-section, serious allergies, traumatic ear surgery, severe arthritis and more in her short eight years. But unfortunately she could not overcome the birth defect of malformed kidneys, and so she has returned to the God who sent her to us 7 years ago.

Fly free, sweet Angel Girl. We'll see you again.

166041484.jpg

Thanks to everyone, especially Patricia, who held my paw while we fought this the last 2 months.

And yes, my heart is absolutely breaking. My family has two big holes in it that can never be filled.

Oh, Steph, I can't believe she is gone. Big hugs to you and your family.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

I was here when she came into your life...and I used to tell my husband that surely we could have "just one more hound....look at Greensleeves with her eleven dogs!!" Nelly was the first "coonhound" I ever "met". I remember Whistler as the surrogate papa to nine puppies and I thought you guys were insane for deciding to keep them all!

Goodbye Mamma Nelly...and Godspeed!

Cathy, Van & Monita (and angels Kimmie and Dagger)

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am truly so sorry to read this.She fought a good fight. She runs with some very special angels and she will watch over her mom. Run free pretty girl

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I certainly remember when you got Nellie... I can't believe it's been that long ago. Lucky her and lucky you to have had her in your life. Rest in peace little one... the honorary Greyhound on the board!

Run free :f_red

We need to act responsibly toward the plants and animals with whom we share the world, who have no voice, but whose presence make our world a blessed place.

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words." Anna Sewell "Black Beauty" 1877

Bobbi, Rick, Reddy, Jenny, and Kat ...Bethel, CT.

Falcon, Romeo, Addie, Shiloh, Frosty, Stormy and Sunshine waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Greyhound Rescue and Rehabilitation..Cross River, NY

Aw, Stephanie, I'm sorry. I, too, remember very well when Nelly and your family found each other. Hard to believe 7 years have passed since then.

I know there's a huge hole in your heart. I hope you can find comfort in knowing what a wonderful home you've given her and all those pups. Much sympathy to you and your husband.

Godspeed, Nelly

Stephanie, I am so sorry. :candle I remember Nelly and all her sweet pups, and I will never forget you and your DH making the decision to keep all of those pups. You have two very bright stars at the Rainbow Bridge. Godspeed Nelly. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I was also a member of GT when you found Nellie and I loved reading about Whistler, Nellie, and all the puppies. I have told her story many times over the years... how you turned around and went back for her.

Nellie's life started then and she had a lifetime of beautiful memories and love with your little family, many of whom she brought with her when she came home :) Vinnie and Rex have gone ahead and will help show Nellie around, I'm sure.

God Bless, Nellie. Send Mom a sign.

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

I'm so sorry! I remember Nellie and her brood. Run with the angels and all the other houndies, mama dog.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Go run with the angels, sweet Nelly... :heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.