Eliza

Burpdog

That is very sad but a good way to warn people of the bad things that Rimadyl does! I for one will not give it to my puppers.

My heart goes out to you! It is tough giving up the ones you love!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SissysMom

Diane, I am glad that you bumped this back up it is important to share this testament about this drug. Just know that her loss was not without a cause. Her story will keep many of us from using Rimadyl and that will save other dogs lives. So think of her as an angel. Protecting others yet sacrificing herself for the cause.

I am sorry you are still in pain from her loss.

• 1 year later...

A reporter in San Antonio is doing a story on rimadyl and collecting information. I am sitting hear crying. It's been 6+ years. The pain will never go away until I meet her again and she tells me it is ok.

All of the "new" NASIDs have the same side effects regardless of the hype (cox 1, cox 2 etc). Make sure you get a product brochure, be familar with the side effects, and have the appropriate blood work, both before giving meds and follow up. Do not skimp on this--it could mean your friend's life!

for Eliza and all the rimadyl dogs.....

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

WOW, Diane. What a tribute to your lovely girl. I have 2 dogs that the vet continually wanted to put on Rimadyl. We had heard so many horror stories, that we knew not to allow Rimadyl to be a daily med. We do have to give it once every couple of months when the girls get too bad in between acupuncture treatments.

Anyways, thanks for the reminder. I know sometimes it just seems easier to just "give her a pill" than it is to think of the consequences it could bring. I will have to pass your message on to Paul, too.

Bless you Diane. There are those Heart-dogs that just consume every part of you. Paul and Chaos are the same way.

Thanks again for posting.

Guest carebear530

Hugs Burpdog. :grouphug What a wonderful thing you are doing for Eliza's memory by sharing this tragic story with us & others through the newspaper. Being a new grey mom I had never heard of this drug until now. I will be writing it down in Lora's folder just in case it ever comes up with a vet. Please share the newspaper article with all of us when it is done.

I'm sure Eliza is looking down at you with a big toothy grin & has long since forgiven you. :bighug

Diane, Eliza was a greyhound, she loved unconditionally and I'm sure she holds no ill feelings for you, how could she, you were her beloved mom! You'll meet her again some day and she'll tell you then that there is nothing to forgive. Forgive yourself your human frailities, we all have them. Hugs to you and to Eliza waiting at the bridge. :grouphug:grouphug

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

{{{{{{{{{{Diane}}}}}}}}}}

Thinking of you, Eliza.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:grouphug

What did you just tell me about Cody? Eliza knows you did your best for her & is waiting at the bridge, with her huge grin & waggy tail...

You can call ME if you want!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Still thinking of you and what you must be going thru.I keep on Saying "Somwhere Over The Rainbow" we will all meet n greet one more time.Oh Diane I am so very sorry. :f_red:f_red

• 8 months later...

In a few days it will be 7 years since her light left my life and this earth.

Be aware of the side effects of all NSAIDs. Make sure you receive a product insert. Make sure blood work is done before starting on them and at two weeks (yes, two weeks--had that been done, I believe Eliza could have been saved), then every 6 weeks. Make sure platelets are checked.

No, I have not forgiven myself and I will not be ok until I see her and she says it is ok. :cry1

I :wub: you Eliza Jane.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Oh Diane, please, please forgive yourself........you have done some many wonderful things for the greys and continue to do so. I'm sorry you have so much pain over this but you know your sweet Eliza has forgiven you and the day you are together again there will only be happiness.

Hugs to you to help mend your broken heart my friend.

Eliza sounds like she was truly a special grey and we all know they play such an important role in our lives. We are very blessed to be given the opportunity to have them in our lives and we all know it's never, ever long enough.

Pretty girl please send your mommy a rainbow when you can.....

Praying for all the missing greys!

Guest CatherineC

Inappropriate for the forum. Remembrance should be a safe place. Opinions and debates don't belong here.

Edited by GreyTzu

Please, please keep sharing your story. I would rather pay attention to ONE story from a heartbroken pet parent like you than a million "scientific studies" from a drug company. Our dogs are not statistics, they are our beloved friends and companions.

Your sweetheart did not die in vain. I will never use Rimadyl for my dogs, and will always counsel people to avoid it with theirs.

My tears are with you.

:bighug