No More Chemo For Hershey - Update July 19th

Guest HersheysMom

Guest HersheysMom

UPDATE JULY 19TH

We helped Hershey cross the bridge late last night. He was restless all afternoon and whimpering, then came up with severe abdominal pain and a swelling spleen which they felt was about to rupture. They didn't think he'd make it through the night. Thankfully they were able to put him to rest here at home before anything ruptured. Could be related to the Lymphoma but I don't think we'll ever know for sure, and it doesn't really matter.

If you need to, moderators can lock the thread - I'll post a tribute but really didn't want these details in his tribute so that's why it's here - and I thought people might be checking on him. We are witnessing his cremation tomorrow and it will probably be days before I can write a fitting tribute.

--------------------------

I just don't know where to start. Hershey couldn't get his treatment Monday b/c his WBC was too low and he ran a slight temp of 102.4. Hospital sent us home w/antibiotics & no chemo (thank the lord) He actually bit me when I tried to move him into the car (didn't draw blood, but he's never done that before, he was hurting) and screamed getting out of the car at home, I had to carry him into the house. Vet clinic manager came by and took his temp - it was 103.3. Heartrate was about 180!! She felt he may be going into shock. She rushed to the clinic and brought back Rimadyl (I didn't know this before, but like taking asprin for us, it can lower a fever in dogs). By then, less than an hour later, his temp was 104. His eyes were rolling back into his head. Did not want to hospitalize him and have him die in the hospital - plan was do the injection and wait two hours and if temp continued to climb have him put down (would mean organs were starting to shut down) So she had both the Rimadyl and the euthanasia drugs in her bag. We had all kinds of cool towels on him to curb the fever and she gave him the injection. Two hours later his temp was at 100.7. I stayed home to monitor his temp & heartrate on Tuesday. Both stayed down.

Tuesday he still wouldn't eat on his own despite being on three different anti-nausea meds. At the suggestion of the clinic manager, I did something I swore I would never do. I began syringe feeding him. She doesn't like the idea of it longterm, either, but said he hadn't eaten on his own in so long that the whole body kinds of forgets the process - all the organs forget what they are supposed to do which is dangerous. She said syringe feeding may help stimulate his appetite. Stayed home again Wednesday syringe feeding him every couple of hours. Sure enough, though still extremely picky, he finally ate some things on his own yesterday, and continues to do so today. He's still getting syringe fed 1-2 times a day because he will not eat enough on his own. He's getting sub-q fluids daily as well.

We are simply trying to get past the window of time where all of this could still be a chemo side effect from his last treatment. Technically that window doesn't close until this weekend. If I'm putting him down due to cancer that's one thing, but I want to be very sure I am not putting put him down due to chemo side effects that would have subsided.

He's no longer crying when he gets up so he's better in that aspect - he needs to eat more on his own, though.

Since this is the third and most scary time he's developed a fever as a result of a low WBC, we are stopping his chemo permanently. Going to do another ultrasound and chest x-ray and see where we are and continue with just Pred and Artmenisinin, and see what happens.

Right now I feel like the worst mom EVER. I can't get past the idea that by withholding his chemo, I am killing him. There's just no other way I can look at it. I can continue to give him treatments to fight this awful thing, but will not. But I just don't have the heart to put him through these side effects any more. The first month of chemo he did so well with no side effects, so I pursued this. Now he can't handle the same drugs he used to be able to. And I can't knowingly give him something I know for a fact will make him sick.

Thanks for listening. No need to comment other than if you could, please pray for my boy.

Edited by HersheysMom

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlackandBrindle

Sending lots of prayers for your sweet boy. :grouphug

I just have to say that you are not killing him :grouphug Cancer is a horrible disease and you are doing the best you can for the pup you love. :bighug

My God, my heart was in my mouth reading your post. Let's get one thing straight young lady, you are the best mom ever, and Hershey is lucky to have you, as you are to have him. Please remember that! He is always in our prayers. You both have had such a long hard road. We'll go and light a special candle for you and for that handsome boy of yours. :candle

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I am so sorry that your boy is so sick. You are his best friend will do whatever you know to be best for him. He knows that you love him and only want to help him. You are the best dog mom.

I do hate cancer.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Carolyn I am so sorry you are going through this. In a way I know how awful it feels to be treating one bad thing and have such awful side effects of the treatment. Torture in a way. But, you are a wonderful mom. Giving Hershey a chance, yet understanding his pain. Don't ever doubt yourself, as hard as that is.

We will keep you in our prayers. :grouphug

The Girls

Lots of prayers and gentle hugs heading your way.

FWIW, I would be making exactly the same decision in your place.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am sorry that you and Hershey are going thru this. It is a hard decision for you but you are doing the best thing in considering how he is reacting to the treatment. Fevers that high are extremely dangerous in their own way & clearly Hershey was suffering from the side-affects. You are a terrific mom and I think you have made the best choice for him. The fact that he is responding and slowly feeling better is a good sign.

We'll all keep sending best wishes to you & Hershey. :grouphug

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

You are doing what is in the best interest of Hershey. You tried the treatment and it doesn't help. Stopping it is the best gift you can give him. That makes you a great dog mom, not a bad one. My heart goes out to you and Hershey. You are both in our thoughts and prayers.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest ChasesMum

Oh honey! Don't beat yourself up! Get him through this, and then re evaluate from there. *hugs* have you tried canned catfood? That stinky stuff really worked for George when his appetite was crummy.

The unfortunate reality is that no matter what we do, even if they never have any problems!, they never are with us for as long as we would like them to be. It SUCKS and I hate it. I think we all hate it. It sucks more when they are taken seemingly before their time.

You are doing everything you can for him, and that matters more. He loves you no matter what!

Guest RooRoo

I'm so sorry Carolyn!! I have goosebumps from reading this and now my eyes are blurred with tears. You know you're not anything less than a wonderful Mom and it's so hard to not have those feelings like you are letting him down - but you are not! You and your family are doing everything right by Hershey. You are processing the information as it presents itself and you are completely in tune to his needs. Hershey will continue to lead you in the best direction, no matter what it may be. We are thinking of you and sending the strength you need right now.

:heart:gh_child

Maria

Rizzo & Kiwi

Your course of action is just what I would do. Clearly, the chemo is not agreeing with his system and needs to stop. Glad to hear that he's eating a bit on his own. You might try adding broth to his water, or giving him Ensure (or something comparable) to help with hydration. Many, many prayers for Hershey... :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest ScottH

Carolyn,

You are doing what is best for Hershey. You have always had his best interests in your heart because of your love for him. He know that too!

Prayers from Noreen, Scott & Argos are coming your way. :candle:hope

FEEL BETTER HERSEY!!!!!

DSCF9876.jpg

Edited by ScottH

Carolyn, as I was reading your post, I was thinking, she is doing exactly the right things for the right reasons, as well as thinking how sorry I am that you and Hershey are going through this.

My heart is aching for you. And you are both in my prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest MyCody

Sending prayers for Hershey and for you, it sounds to me like you are being the perfect Mom, showing him love along with tender care.

Terry

Sending loads of prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Greytminds

Both you and Hershey are in our thoughts. Making these kind of decisions can be difficult. The only thing I can say is I would have done the same thing if it were me. It is important that our boys and girls have a quality of life that is equal to the love and companionship that they have given us. Keep him close and comfortable and hug him for all of us.

With Love

Paul & Anthony

Shane,Trace,Nite,Ruka,Jasmine,Lucky,Chrissie