Sugar 12/95-7/7/2008

Remolacha

I hadn't had a dog since my Boston Terrier died when I was 15 (a LOT of years ago). I had always been more of a cat person. I decided I wanted a dog, and fell in love with greyhounds. I told the group I didn't really care about gender or color, just that the dog wouldn't eat my cats. They offered me a nice young boy, two or three years old, I don't remember now. I asked if they had anyone a little older. Yes, a 7 yr old brood who had been returned because she wouldn't "go" on leash, and her people lived in an apartment. I have a fenced yard, I said, I'll take her!

She was timid, shy with anyone she didn't know, ignored the cats, and was the ultimate greyhound snob :) She loved other greys, and except for her one Great Dane friend who was also very timid, she simply refused to acknowledge other breeds :rolleyes: She was the sweetest dog I ever knew. A classic greyhound beauty with long slender needle nose (a stranger once stopped his car when we were out on a walk to compliment her on her beautiful muzzle), huge chocolate brown eyes, soft ears that when they stood up made her look like a mule deer.

I know I made mistakes with her in the beginning, but she never held them against me. She taught me so much about love, patience, tolerance. When I brought a huge, bouncy 2 yr old moose into her home, she was just pleased to have another grey to play with. She developed some health problems as she got older, but nothing we couldn't deal with. She had some pretty severe back end problems last fall, but had recovered nicely, and at her last visit to the cardiologist, her heart looked so good he actually reduced her meds! A week ago, I had no idea anything was wrong. Tuesday evening when I got home from work, I saw she had thrown up her breakfast, and would eat any dinner. She never ate again. I discovered last fall that she hated being helped to get around, and I promised her I wouldn't let things get that bad this time.

She rarely barked, she was never noisy, so I don't know how the house can be so much quieter without her. Fletcher is very subdued. He knew there was something wrong, and he seems to understand she won't be coming home. I just can't believe she isn't here.

I will miss you so much my beautiful princess.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :(

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I'm very sorry for your loss. :grouphug She was a cherished family member who knew she was loved and adored. Godspeed, sweet Sugar... :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Oh Jan!! I somehow missed your previous Sugar thread!! :sad1 I'm so so sorry! :grouphug

Sugar was such a special girlie... What a rough day it was the day I met lil Miss Sugar. :eek As you know she bounced around foster homes and potential adopters until she found you! Who knew someone could return her because she was too subdued and sweet! Guess she was meant to be with YOU!

She really came out of her shell with you... And ate like a champ! :heart What a wonderful life she had with you and her "permanent puppy" brother Fletcher. Only a brood would have the patience for him! :wub:

My heart is broken for you... :cry1 We will be having a roo at the Byrd house in honor of Miss Sug!

Guest greytbookert

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sugar knew how much you loved her and returned that love unconditionally. Run free pretty girl!

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am so Very Sorry. :bighug:bighug

:gh_run2 Run Free Sugar

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Sorry for your loss - The Rainbow Bridge has another Angel :f_pink I have been down that road more than once so I can cry and grieve with you. Just remember she is now running free and without pain.

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Guest EmbersDad

When the last rose of summer pricks my finger,

And the hot sun chills me to the bone,

When I cant hear the song for the singer,

And I cant tell my pillow from a stone,

I will walk alone by the black muddy river......

farewell sugar

Guest PhillyPups

Jan, I am so very very sorry for your loss ~ there are no words. What wonderful gifts you gave to Sugar, acceptance of who she is exactly as she is, the gift of of love, and the hardest, the gift of letting go :bighug

In reading your tribute, your Sugar sounds so much like my Divine Ms. SugarBear, I still miss her so very much.

Edited by PhillyPups

I am so sorry.

Godspeed sweet girl.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image