Bizzarre And Freak Accident

Guest Zeushounds

Guest Zeushounds

In what can only be determined as a bizarre and freak accident, my Princess, Candi has lost one of her pretty eyes. :cry1

I was wondering if anyone had been in a similar situation with their grey loosing an eye and if you can give me some tips on what to expect when she comes home?

Best we can figure is that my youngest, Tigger, as he was running toward us, brushed my leg and hit Candi's face with his knee. She was standing right beside me. Initially we thought the extent of the injuries was that they both injured their leg, as they were both holding them up. So we rubbed their legs until they put pressure on them. That is when I turned around and saw Candi's face covered in blood! Then thinking it was a bad gash on her nose, we got the bleeding under control. She even walked back to the car on her own with both eyes open! Only to be later diagnosed with a fractured nasal cavity and eye socket and a gash on the bridge of her nose.

Unfortunately the E-Vet we initially took her to turned out to be incompetent and we lost a day of treatment and recovery. :angryfire By the time we got her to a competent E-Vet they told us she lost too much fluid in the eye and they could not save it. Tigger had mild injuries-scratches along his side that hit us, a gash in his knee and was limping. (Not that this is my topic, but he was also bitten by a german shepard while we were walking the neighborhood last week!). Rough week.

We have been literally racking our brains trying to reconstruct the events. It's such a beautiful place we were walking. The one and only that I let all three off-leash, unfenced. I was even filming right up until the incident. Something we will never know.

Now we are concentrating on our Candi Girl's recovery and helping her adjust to her new lifestyle. Two surgeries in two days for an 11 1/2 year old and many prayers later, we were told she should be able to come home today. :confetti

So, I was just looking for some pointers on what I can expect when she comes home. I am sure the E-Vet will go over everything. I was just hoping to get some first-hand experience. Any help is greatly appreciated.

p.s. She is the pretty girl in my signature. I am not very good at this GT posting. As a matter of fact I seemed to have lost my first post. Someday I will gets pics together to have Jenn do a siggie for me!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry to hear of Candi's accident. Great news that she'll be home today!

A good friend adopted a greyhound with one eye four (maybe more?) years ago. I can't recall the details of Divine's story but I know she's done very well in Tania's home. Tania doesn't visit GT very often but I'll send her an email and see if she has any suggestions for you.

Sending many healing thoughts to Candi.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

Poor baby! no experience, but hoping that Candi heals quickly and completely :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

OMG. I am so sorry you both had to go through this. Hoping for fast, healing and uneventful recovery.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Oh I'm so sorry about your girl. One of my girls lost an eye years ago. When I went to pick her up, the only thing I wasn't prepared for was the amount of sewlling. It took me back a bit. Healing process was fairly quick and she did very well with just one eye. She has since passed away but was not hindered in any way. Please keep us posted on how she is

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest TBSFlame

I know someone that has a gh puppy and she lost her eye b/c of the family cat. She does fine without that eye. Never slowed her down.

Oh no, I'm so sorry this happened! :ohno Glad she is coming home. I will be keeping her (and you) in my thoughts and hoping for a quick recovery.

As for the incompetent E-vet... :headwall:angryfire:headwall they have a lot to answer for.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I am so sorry...sending my many prayers. Our neighbors adopted a rottie with only one eye...it certainly is of NO handicap to him! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest greyt2love

So sorry to hear this. Bring her home and love her to pieces while she heals !! I have no experience with this, but from others posts, it sounds like she will be okay. Hugs to the sweetie !!

Guest GiJenn51

Oh Brenda!!! I'm so sad to hear about Candi. :cry1 And I bet Tigger will make sure she feels at home. I wish I was there to give you hugs!!!

Guest Teufelsmark

She is beautiful and wil still be beautiful. I hav eno advice just words of support and prayers. I am sorry such a thing has happened and in such a freakish way. I know you must be very upset. Good Luck on the recovery and tell Candi she is a pretty girl and we love her. Hope for the best.

Jamie

Guest LadyChester

I am so sorry Candi is going through this. Hugs to her, you, and Tigger as well. I'm betting she'll bounce back just fine. These hounds are so resilient!

What a tragic accident. :( Sending my prayers and loads of light to your precious Candi for complete healing. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

No advice, just hugs and hopes she makes an uneventful recovery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What a bizarre accident! Our last dog, an akita-lab mix, lost the sight in one eye and she managed just fine. Towards the end (she was 16) her "good" eye was clouded over with cataracts and she still managed around the house and even on walks. Your girl should do just fine after her recovery. Prayers for complete and quick healing.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest greygirls2

White light flowing out to Candi for a fast and uneventful recovery. How terribly frightening that whole incident must have been for all of you and I am so sorry that the first vet was so incompetent. That's always something that worries me in any emergency....you never know how well the vet will handle things.

I am so Sorry and I have no advise, but I do have lots of hugs and prayers for a quick and complete recovery. Bless your hearts but Candi you are still a very beautiful girl. :bighug :bighug :bighug:getwell:hope:candle

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

That is a tragic accident! I feel so sorry for your poor hound and you and hope that at least she recovers soon from the surgery and adapts

to her new life with only one eye...

Best wishes,

Marion

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest KyGrey

I am so sorry this has happened. I am sending white light for an uneventful recovery for precious Candi. Hugs and prayers to you in dealing with this. :grouphug :grouphug

Please give her a scritchie from Ky when she gets home and settled in.

Guest Ohiogreymom

I'm so sorry, but greys are SUCH amazing dogs, I'm sure she'll do fine with just one eye. Sending hugs and prayers! :grouphug:hope:hope:hope