Farewell To Our Mattie

Guest itdoesnotmatter

Guest itdoesnotmatter

This is the story of Mattie "Itdoesnotmatter" Rutherford.

Mattie came into our lives when John and I had been dating for a couple of years. We had an apartment in Pensacola, FL, and we had been talking about getting a dog for a while. At the time, John was in flight training (he's an FA/18 pilot in the Marines) and he had a lot of free time. I was working at a vet hospital and was also home several days a week. I originally wanted a pure-bred dog. We'd always gotten our pets from petstores growing up (before people knew about puppy mills) and we'd had two shelties, a chow chow, a cairn terrier, a springer spaniel, and a golden retriever. When my mom suggested a greyhound, I was not thrilled at the idea. I'd only seen a few in person, but I thought they were too skinny and kind of wimpy (I turned out to be completely wrong, of course). But one day when John and I were driving past Pensacola's only mall, I noticed a sign that said "Greyhound Meet n' Greet." John and I decided to stop by on a whim, and the second we walked into the mall, we spotted Mattie.

Mattie was smaller than the other dogs, solid black (except for white toes and a white spot on her chest, and a bit of white at the tip of her tail). She was surrounded by children, who were petting, poking, and prodding her while she stood perfectly still, soaking up the attention. I knew right away that she was our dog.

n784537812_601680_1010.jpg

As some of you probably know, it's not always easy to adopt a greyhound. John and I were young, unmarried, and lived in a two-bedroom apartment. But we were persistent, and I think the adoption agency may have been a little desperate, because they finally agreed to let us have Mattie (we even attended a greyhound picnic to show how serious we were. Mattie won the "prettiest eyes" contest.). Mattie's first few days at home were interesting. She had never seen stairs, she was not fully house-broken, and she was a bit naughty. She'd been with her foster mom for only two weeks, and Mattie had just turned two the month before we got her, so she was still a bit of a puppy. She quickly adapted to her new surroundings, taking over the couch and our bed. The dogs had never been allowed on our furniture growing up, so at first I was horrified by the behavior. But Mattie had us catering to her every whim within days. She also got very used to having someone around, so she was not happy when John and I left her alone. I came home to several chewed up leather goods, and every time I walked in the door she would jump up on me, knocking me into the wall. I had a fat lip and a black eye that first week. Fortunately she grew out of that pretty quickly!

John and I were young and foolish, and we had decided to get Mattie even though our apartment didn't allow dogs over 35 pounds. We'd seen lots of big dogs in the complex so we figured they were lax on the rules. As luck would have it, they decided to crack down on big dogs the next month, and John and I found ourselves moving to a small house with a yard just a week later. Mattie liked to tear through the house and out into the yard, forming her own mini-track. I left a couple of months later for an internship in Pennsylvania, and Mattie and her daddy had some time alone together. I have a feeling he spoiled her rotten during those months...Mattie also had a very unfortunate run-in with a storm door, and when I came back to Pensacola my little girl only had half a tail! I was very upset, but she adapted without a problem. She actually started wagging her tail more!

MattiesTeeth014small.jpg

From Pensacola we went to Kingsville, Texas, for more flight training. John and Mattie did the move in John's two-seater convertible, with Mattie sitting in the passenger seat the whole way. Kingsville was sort of a pit (no offense to anyone who's from there!) and it was incredibly hot. The first day we tried to walk the half-mile to the "happening spot" in town - the Walmart - and Mattie got so overheated that we had to carry her the rest of the way. Despite being from Florida, Mattie did not enjoy the heat! Of course, she didn't love the cold either. There was a very narrow window of comfort for that dog. She spent most of her days in the house with me (and most importantly, the airconditioning).

Finally, John and I moved to San Diego (where we've been for almost four years now). The climate definitely agreed with Mattie! She loved to play at Dog Beach and go for hikes up in the hills. John and I got married that summer in Montana on my parent's ranch, and Mattie loved to roam the property with my parent's golden retriever, Daisy. Both dogs were in our wedding. I made Mattie a special collar and she walked down the aisle with John's parents, and my mom took Daisy down the aisle. Mattie went up to my parents' ranch for many more visits, in the summer and winter, where she learned to play in the snow (with her doggie blanket, of course). Mattie outlived Daisy and soon became friends with my parents' new golden puppy, Roscoe. He kept her young, I think.

In January of 2007, John deployed on an aircraft carrier to the Persian Gulf. I lost my job a month later, but fortunately my twin sister moved in with me, so I wasn't completely alone. Sarah had wanted a puppy for a long time, so she finally got a baby Brussel's Griffon, Minky. At first, Mattie did not know what to think of Minky. She was more like a squirrel than a puppy and we had teach Mattie not to chase her. But pretty soon Mattie learned to lie down and let Minky climb all over her. They were quite a pair! Minky could fit in Mattie's mouth, but Mattie never hurt her.

P1011285.jpg

We were both very sad when Sarah and Minky moved out last fall, but John came home at the end of August and Mattie was finally reunited with her daddy.

P1011565.jpg

We had a wonderful Christmas together at John's parents' house in Half Moon Bay, CA. Mattie got to run on the beach and eat special doggie biscotties that Grandma made. Those were the last good weeks of Mattie's life.

Holidaybeachsmall.jpg

In January of 2008 we found out that John had to deploy again, after five short months home. We found out that Mattie had cancer on January 22nd, and she went in for the mandibulectomy just one week later, and one week before John had to deploy. My biggest regret is that Mattie's last few days with her dad were so miserable. She was still on a lot of drugs and she was probably in a lot of pain. But I think John and I knew on some level that he may never see her again, and he was able to say goodbye to her before he left.

The past few weeks have been the hardest of my life. Not only is John gone again, but Mattie was so sick, and no matter what I did it seemed like she just kept getting worse. When I finally made the decision to put her down last Friday, Feb. 22nd, I knew I would be more alone than ever. But I couldn't put Mattie through any more pain just so she could keep me company. I still feel her presence in my house. I'm so used to knowing that her warm little body is curled up downstairs while I work out upstairs, or opening the door to her happy face when I come home from work. I still can't believe I'll never pet her impossibly soft ears ever again, or rub the soft spot right under her perfect black nose. Mattie had so much personality. Whenever she would shake off after a bath, her entire body would flop around, her legs flying in every direction. John had many nicknames for her, but the most popular one was "Noodle." Every night he would say "Bed time for Bonzo!" and Mattie knew that was her cue to go upstairs to our room. She hogged the whole bed. I was planning on getting a kingsize bed soon so we could fit more comfortably! Mattie always chattered in the mornings. She was the laziest dog ever. I had to force her out of bed some mornings. She loved cheese, peanut butter, ice cream, and any other human food John would give her (except bread - she hated bread). Sometimes her ears would get stuck in a weird way, which we dubbed her "Flying Nun" ears. And at least two or three times a week, Mattie would have what we affectionately called "ass attacks." By nature's cruel design, Mattie couldn't scratch her own butt. We knew an ass attack was coming when she would sit down on her butt in a weird way. Mattie never sat unless she was having an attack. Then the ritual would begin. First, she would start to flex her head muscles. Then she would look left, then right, then left, then right. She'd make one big last-ditch effort to reach her butt, and then she would give up and go flying around the room, taking out her frustration on any unfortunate toy that got in her path.

Mattie was the best dog I've ever known. I know I'll never have another one like her, and it will probably be a while before I'm ready for another dog. But John and I will definitely have a greyhound again one day, and I know it will be just as special in its own way. Mattie brought us so much joy and I will love her forever.

Goodbye my sweet girl.

maraandmattieoncouch.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your tribute to Mattie is wonderful. I know you must miss her terribly. I'm sorry for your loss. Run free, sweet Mattie :f_pink

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

I have followed Mattie's story. You did everything you could do for her. Most importantly you loved her and gave her a home filled with love, then you set her free from pain. I know Mattie will live in your memories forever. May you find peace and comfort during this time. She thanks you for everything. Your tribute was beautiful. Run free sweet girl.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I am so sorry. My prayers are with you during this difficult time. Know that Angel Mattie romps and plays with our Angels at the Bridge...there is no more cancer at the Bridge. :grouphug:f_pink One day...your Angel will send you a babe that needs to be loved and spoiled...they always do. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I am so sorry for your loss. :f_pink :f_pink

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thank you for sharing Mattie's story. It was clear from your other posts how much you and your husband loved her and how very hard this has been. She will always have a place in your hearts.

I am so sorry this all happened. But, you can rest, knowing that Mattie knew she was loved to the very end and she is no longer in pain.

Run free little girl.

Carol

Greyhound Fleece Jackets

Greyhound Pack: EdWin, Jethro. and Lucky; Foster Jinks; Angels Janet, Faster, Blake, Navarre, Murray, and Festus.

Guest greytbookert

What a beautiful tribute to Mattie. I'm so sorry that she had to leave you but remember she will live forever in your heart.

Run free gorgeous!

What a beautiful life you shared. About halfway through I found the letters on the screen getting fuzzy ..... How curious that her first name was Itdoesnotmatter when she mattered so very very much.

Godspeed, sweetie. You'll be up over the Bridge now, teaching all the other doggies about ass attacks and bed hogging. Don't forget to watch over your momma and daddy, who love you and are missing you now.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank-you for your lovely tribute. It enabled all of us who were following her story to share your wonderful memories. She was a lucky girl to come to you when she was just a baby, and to have the time together that you did. You've been through a lot of changes in your life, and it seems that your Mattie was a constant. Your heart and home feel so empty right now, but in time, your precious memories will bring more smiles than tears.

I'm so sorry you lost your sweet girl.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

What a very touching tribute to your special girlie. :cry1 I'm very sorry for your loss. :bighug She brought much joy into your life, and will someday direct you to another precious hound that needs your loving.

Godspeed, sweet Mattie... :gh_run

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I am so sorry for your loss of Mattie. Your tribute was loving and beautiful. Mattie was certainly a special girl and had a wonderful home with you. It is always too soon to say goodbye to a dear companion - may all the wonderful memories you have of your life with Mattie bring you comfort.

:f_pink :f_pink :f_pink :f_pink

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I'm so sorry for your loss. :cry1

:gh_run

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

What a lovely tribute and a beautiful story. I hope that your happy memories help to ease your pain. Run free sweet Mattie :gh_run2

f_yellow

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

8-14-hound-siggy.jpg?gl=US

Living a GREYT life at the Hound Hacienda - Clarkdale, Arizona

Always missing our angel hounds; Parker, Lacey, Bella, Figgy, Macho, Aspen, Kingman and Tillie

Guest HeatherDemps

Thank you for sharing your tribute to Mattie. I loved hearing about her life. I'm so sorry that you and your husband did not get to have more time with her. Thanks for sharing the pictures of her too- such a gorgeous hound!