Pain Management

robinw

Loca is now taking Metacam daily. The vet also prescribed Tramadol as needed. This may seem like a really dumb question, but how do I know when it's needed? She's pretty stoic when it comes to pain and discomfort.

thanks

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I hear you Robin. I was always worried about Rex too as he was so stoic. I just tried to look at his general demeanor and his eyes and did the best I could.

BTW -- Both the human version of Metacam (Meloxicam -- pill) and tramadol are $4 scripts at Wal Mart here.

:grouphug to you and Loca both

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I would gage it by how she is moving and how active she is. Watch how she gets up and down - how often, how she uses the stairs or how often she doesn't use the stairs etc. how many bottles of Crown Royal she can carry ;):lol

Depending on what is going on with her, the metacam may be enough... maybe wait to see what the xrays show before you give the tramadol. hoepfully she'll feel better with metacam.

She may also get restless, have a hard time settling down, restrict movement, pant or go off her food. Or something more subtle, like get grumpy about being disturbed.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

My 5 year old Lily was lame due to a flare up of an old racing injury. It got to the point that she wasn't putting any weight on her front leg. After several visits to several vets, we ended up at a chiropractor. The chiropractor recommended Traumeel. After being on it for a few days she is now walking and has even attempted to play with our other greys. You can find Traumeel at health food stores, vitamin stores or online. My son has even used it after overdoing it at the gym.

Robin-

Yes, they are very stoic.

I base whether or not they get pain meds by if they are limping or favoring a leg or not. If they are for more than a day or 2, i have to assume they are uncomfortable.

There is a holistic antinflammatory called Traumeel. Dosage is 1 tab 2-3 times a day. It's for humans but gets used off label for dogs. All natural. Biggest issue is that you are not supposed to swallow it or bite it. For humans, it's supposed to be used sublingually so for the dogs put it in something they like to lick like yogert or peanut better or whatever works for her.

If you get it (you can buy it online) let me know how it works.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Traumeel is a great product. It's homeopathic and contains arnica which is great for pain. When one of my boys was having acupuncture, the vet told me to buy the gel and massage it in.It really is great and helps a lot, and the dogs love the massage.Hope she feels better soon

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest HeatherDemps
She may also get restless, have a hard time settling down, restrict movement, pant or go off her food. Or something more subtle, like get grumpy about being disturbed.

With Tramadol, we had some side effects that included restlessness, panting, hard time settling down, and increased whining. Makes it even more confusing!

Guest multiplicity

This is a greyt thread!

Murphy has just recently started on Metacam too...poor guy has been very stoic this winter. He seems ok when it is cold and even runs around in the snow but when it is a bit warmer and damp he has such a hard time getting up and is not too excited about anything. :( I am really interested in the holistic approach and I am hoping it works well for my ol' man. :wub:

I hope you're feeling better soon too Loca!

Traumeel is a homeopathic remedy, not holistic.I never really knew nor understood the difference, and I still don't but I sure got read the riot act at a health food store a few years ago when I first asked for Traumeel.They made it very clear that it was homeopathic.Needless to say, I started buying it from another store because I was so embarrased. What did I know???

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

You are right, the vet practices Holistic "medicine" and preferes homeopathic remedies. The traumeel is homeopathic. But who cares? It works!!!!!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

You are right, the vet practices Holistic "medicine" and preferes homeopathic remedies. The traumeel is homeopathic. But who cares? It works!!!!!

True....who cares. I just said it because I can still remember how I felt when they corrected me in front of the entire store(always crowded) I wanted to crawl under a shelf. Would hate for someone else to experience that.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

True....who cares. I just said it because I can still remember how I felt when they corrected me in front of the entire store(always crowded) I wanted to crawl under a shelf. Would hate for someone else to experience that.

I did not mean who cares referring to the correction! I meant it exactly how I wrote it! Who cares! it works!

;)

The problem with texting/typing is very often the most innocent text can be misconstrued!

Sugar has been on Metacam for a year or longer (can't remember) for her arthritis. Since it has gotten so much worse in the last few months, I've added Tramadol. I have learned by watching her when she is starting to feel worse. She hunches up her back a bit (part of her problem is in her spine), and walks funny. Best I can describe it, she keeps her back feet closer together than normal, and walks like she is trying to limp on both back lags at the same time. When she is feeling better, her whole body is more relaxed, she moves in a more easy, flowing manor, not all tense and jerky. It is all very subtle :rolleyes: and of course, Loca may react entirely differently!

I've looked at Traumeel, I wonder if it would react with Sugar's heart meds?

Guest FullMetalFrank

Sorry to hear Loca is having pain issues. Sometimes, when Frankie overdoes it at the park, I can tell he is sore by the subtle differences in how he lies down and gets up; sometimes he outright whines. I hope her meds work and she gets to feeling better!

Thanks for your good wishes, Mary.

We're not sure what's wrong with Loca yet. My vet is forwarding her xrays to a radiologist for a second opinion.

Robin,I'm sorry Loca is having some discomfort. I'm wondering Robin,what has it been prescribed for?

I mean,I know what it's for,but I was wondering how Loca is healthwise and hoping she's alright.

I hope Loca's feeling good tonite. :dogcookie:dogcookie

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

How is she this morning?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

first I just want to say I always enjoy reading about Loca and Phoenix. they are gorgeous. My 12 year old Scooter has osteo. He is on tramadol plus several other things. I didn't know at first what was wrong with him and like so many greys he is stoic. I decided to give it to him though when he wasn't baring weight on his leg at all. There was no panting, shivering or crying. Obviously, this is different but I went ahead. I kept telling him "wish you could tell momma Scoots" and he would look at me and wag his tail! I will be saying an extra prayer for Loca.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Sugar has been on Metacam for a year or longer (can't remember) for her arthritis. Since it has gotten so much worse in the last few months, I've added Tramadol. I have learned by watching her when she is starting to feel worse. She hunches up her back a bit (part of her problem is in her spine), and walks funny. Best I can describe it, she keeps her back feet closer together than normal, and walks like she is trying to limp on both back lags at the same time. When she is feeling better, her whole body is more relaxed, she moves in a more easy, flowing manor, not all tense and jerky. It is all very subtle :rolleyes: and of course, Loca may react entirely differently!

I've looked at Traumeel, I wonder if it would react with Sugar's heart meds?

With any homeopathic remedy, you wouldn't have to worry about any reaction with other meds.I've never used the oral form, but the gel really does work. You'll notice the difference. My Misty is on Enacard(spelling?) but she's on it for her kidneys and the vet has me massage her neck with Traumeel daily.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg