Pain Management

robinw

We all hope Loca is feeling better. Please keep us posted on how things are going. :grouphug

Lexi the pointeresque mutt (1999), Homer the chi mix (2010) and Lacey the ? (2009). Always remembering Dita, Best, Oba, Bubba, and the others at the bridge.

I hope Loca's feeling better: I look for growling, taking longer to get up, and more sensativity about his feet, all of which I've learned really increase with cold weather.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

thanks all for asking about loca. she seems a little more comfortable today and was actually playing with me a little this morning :).

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest MaxAndMazy

Thinking about you guys! I hope Loca is feeling better soon! Good to hear she was playing a bit this morning :).

Edited by MaxAndMazy

should the pill form or traumeel only be used or are the drops ok? i read that the drops have alcohol which couldnt be great. I am guessing pills do not have it. What is the correct dosage for a 75lb?

Traumeel for 75 pound dog should be 1 pill 2-3 x a day. It should be licked, not swallowed (ideally sublingually, but that would not be too easy to do!)

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest longdogs
Traumeel is a great product. It's homeopathic and contains arnica which is great for pain
Arnica contains a mild anti-inflammatory, OK for applying to bruises and scrapes, useless for serious pain. Of course if it is a true homeopathic preparation there won't be any useful quantities of arnica in it anyway. There is a world of difference between the pain relief offered by Tramadol - I'm on it myself - and anything arnica can do. Arnica is not an analgesic anyway. Please, if your dog is in pain don't mess around with it.

Traumeel is a great product. It's homeopathic and contains arnica which is great for pain
Arnica contains a mild anti-inflammatory, OK for applying to bruises and scrapes, useless for serious pain. Of course if it is a true homeopathic preparation there won't be any useful quantities of arnica in it anyway. There is a world of difference between the pain relief offered by Tramadol - I'm on it myself - and anything arnica can do. Arnica is not an analgesic anyway. Please, if your dog is in pain don't mess around with it.

I wouldn't say that arnica is "useless" but yes it can't compare with Tramadol. I was talking about Traumeel gel and using it along with Tramadol. I've used both on several clients and it helps

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest longdogs
I wouldn't say that arnica is "useless"
Neither did I. It is a mild anti-inflammatory. This topic is however about relief of serious pain not mild inflammation.

I wouldn't say that arnica is "useless"
Neither did I. It is a mild anti-inflammatory. This topic is however about relief of serious pain not mild inflammation.

You mis-understood me.Metacam and Tramadol are the same drugs that my dog is on. My vet suggested the use of Traumeel gel ALONG with these drugs.Massaging with the Traumeel ALONG with these drugs helps my boy with pain. I always feel so bad when dogs are hurting, and if I experience something that has helped one of my dogs with pain, I want to share it.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I gave Loca tramadol for the first time yesterday. are frequent urination and runny poops common side effects?

thanks

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I don't know about that. We had a lot of panting. I think that we are about the only ones it didn't work for. I do love the metacam though. For Vinnie it was a godsend.

Adding: we had runny poops when we upped the MSM.

Edited by VinnieAndRexsMom

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

I gave Loca tramadol for the first time yesterday. are frequent urination and runny poops common side effects?

thanks

No. In fact, tramadol at higher doses can cause constipation. Could she have come down with a UTI on top of everything else? Poor girl...

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

In all the dogs I have used it in, I've not seen runny poops. Mahogany right now has some loose stools but I think it's from the morphine (as well as lack of appetite and eating things she isn't use to eating). I think metacam can cause loose stools (as well as other NSAIDs).

That said, I am sure some cannot handle tramadol. Did you only see these things after giving the first dose? Was she on metacam before giving that dose? Any blood in the stool?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

That said, I am sure some cannot handle tramadol. Did you only see these things after giving the first dose? Was she on metacam before giving that dose? Any blood in the stool?

yes, she's on metacalm daily; 22 kl every morning. it's possible that i'm just being paranoid, as loca is still loca and she gorged herself on dogfood friday when i left the container off of the food bin.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Max has been on Metacam a few times, with no side effects. I'm sorry, I can't speak to Tramadol in dogs, but I know in humans it is more inclined to cause constipation. The dog food binge may be the culprit... ;) I guess the painkillers are ensuring she feels well enough to still be the La Loca we know and love!! :wub: :wub:

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves