Scooter Has Osteo

I am so devastated. We just found out today that our 12 year old Scooter has osteo. We were so in hopes it was just a piece of cartilage that broke off from his shoulder. After xray readings from a radiologist and oncologist and our vet it is confirmed.

I adopted Scooter 2 years ago from GPA Houston. He helped heal my heart from losing Devotion to osteo. Scooter is my soul. I love him so much. He is without a doubt the smartest and noisest :lol grey I have ever met. Scoots is a perfect gentleman who has such a presense. Everyone loves him. He is the reason I will always have a senior and also why I will always have a black grey in my pack.

Please send prayers for him. I will not let him suffer and I want to make sure to do right by him. There are no treatment options for him. He has a neurological problem that makes his back legs not work together well all the time (not LS). He has to have his front leg.

I can not even begin to make sense of this. My brain feels like jello and I feel totally sick. How do you ever get yourself ready for this?

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry for the diagnosis. Sending hugs your way and wishes for Scooter to have many more good days.

I do hate cancer.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

:grouphug You are never "ready". Just keep him pain free. Tramadol works pretty good--or can he have opiates?

thanks Diane. Yes Scoots in on 75mg of tramadol every 4-6 hours. Basically they said give him what makes him comfortable. He is ok for now, but not bearing a lot of weight on it at all. My worst fear is he will slip. I have wood floors all downstairs but do have a lot of throw rugs down for him already. We keep our upstairs gated off anyway due to his weak back end.

I am really not taking this well.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

So sorry to read this post. I have been in your shoes. I went to Wendy's for their $1.00 cheese burgers several times per week when Lexi was diagnosed. My other grey could not figure out why were not getting any more treats after Lexi passed away :blink: Spend as much time as you can with Scooter. Thank you for taking in a senior.

Guest Ruby2sday

We found out last month that our beautiful, goofy 11-year-old Echo has osteo in her left front leg. You're right...it is devastating and heartbreaking news. We will do everything we can to make our girl comfortable and happy. When "the twinkle" leaves her eyes, we will release her, but we're hopeful that she will have many good months left with us.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Scoots. :hope

Guest LolasMom

I am so sorry that both of you have to deal with this. It's never easy and you can never be ready.

Sending many thoughts and prayers for strength and peace to you and sweet Scooter. :heart

I am so sorry. Having just been hit with the same diagnosis I understand the pain. My Magic has been gone a week and the pain has not lessened. I only hope I did what was right to save her the pain.

Lynn, You did what was right for Magic. I know they don't know about the missed tomorrows only the present and the love they feel from us. I have always believed in quality of life and putting them first. It is not about me it is about Scooter (although I feel like I am going to have a heart attack). Someone once told me, It's better a day to early than a day to late. May we all have peace and comfort. It doesn't matter how much I want this to go away it's not. What does matter is that I honor Scooter and let him leave with dignity and quality still in him.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Guest myjazzy

I'm so sorry your baby has osteo. Unfortunately, many of us have been there also. All you can do is keep him as comfortable as possible until he lets you know he's ready. And it never gets any easier. Enjoy whatever time you have left with him and spoil him rotten. :grouphug

Oh, no! I'm so sorry you've gotten this sad news. Pam, I think you have sensitively expressed what any of us would tell you. You know just what to do for your heart boy. It's just that it's so damn hard. And the kind souls who open their hearts and homes to seniors know too well and too often what to expect. It's something that you know may be waiting around the corner, but you still do what you do because it's worth it. The time spent together never seems to be enough. But he does live in the moment, and safe in the circle of your love, that is all he knows. Try not to let the sad thoughts of what is yet to come steal your precious time away today. But you know that---it's so clear.

Prayers going out to you and Scooter.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I am so sorry. Hug Scooter for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

thank you all from the bottom of my heart. Grey Talk is the best family out there. It is very touching to know people are pulling for my Scooter. There are a lot of us who are traveling this road or have been down it before. it is greyt to have a place to come to where everyone gets it!

scootersig_A4.jpg

There is no "getting ready," I'm sorry to say. There is only living in the moment with your beloved pup until the time comes to say goodbye. I'm so sorry to hear the diagnosis. You are in my thoughts.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.