Put To Rest At Home Or Vet?

Guest greyhoundrobbie

Guest greyhoundrobbie

First, thank you to all who have offered me support. This is not the first time I have been through this, but it feels as painful each time.

Allie's throat is getting worse. The pain medications have helped her LS tremendously and the antibiotics seems to help her breathe and eat. In fact, she has eaten a fair amount, still seems hungry and convinced me to give her my dinner last night. However, I can see the mass growing in her neck and see she is just getting slower. She sleeps peacefully and does not seem to be suffering, but she is not improving. My wife and I long ago agreed to try and do the right thing and not make her tell us it is time, but do it so her last day is not painful.

Our vet is wonderful and she offered to come to our apartment to do it if we want. Part of me loves that idea because it is hard for Allie to get in the car and the vet is not her favorite place because of the barking (she hates kennels). I imagine inviting over some people who love her so her final minutes can be relaxed and maybe just have the vet do it while she sleeps on her favorite bed. Many people recommend against this because the vet has more control in her office, that it is more stressful at home for both the puppy and us and the logistics of moving a 70 pound dog when living in a condo.

Thank you in advance for advice and prayers.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HeatherDemps

I'm so sorry about Allie. I know the decision is hard enough, let alone the logistics involved. I'm assuming your vet wouldn't have offered to come to your condo if she could not handle moving her, etc. Given that Allie doesn't like to go to the vet and it is hard to get her into the car, I guess I would lean toward having the vet come there if I were in this situation. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer though and you know her best.

Guest fountainpengwen

First off, let me just say that I am so sorry you have to make this decision, but you are very brave to make it at the time that is best for Allie, and not just best for you. :grouphug

I worked with a mobile vet one summer and assisted on a few in-home euthanasias. Overall, the families were grateful that we came to them so that their pets could pass on in a familiar environment and surrounded by family. There was one time that things took longer than planned, but that could have happened in the office, too.

When my family dog Luna, the Best Dog Ever, had to be euthanized, we had the vet come to our house and do it. It certainly didn't make it any easier, but it was more private, and she got to enjoy her last few hours at home, instead of stressing about being at the vet (not that she was the kind of dog to stress out at anything).

If you are planning on cremation, the vet should be able to take Allie with them and set that up so you shouldn't have to worry about logistics there.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :grouphug

Even though my vet doesn't do it, I think doing it at home would be less stressful.

Since you live in an apartment, check with your vet first to make sure she can transport afterward.

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. It's never easy saying goodbye.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

you are very brave to make it at the time that is best for Allie, and not just best for you.

:nod I agree.. I'm so sorry you have to make this decision. I think that if Allie is nervous about the vet, home might be better... I'm sure the vet can handle things or she would not have offered... but of course it's a very personal decision. You know yourselves and Allie best. Personally I know I would prefer the privacy of my own home, where I don't have to face people, where my dog feels most relaxed and peaceful, with all the familiar things he's used to around him.

Whatever you decide, I am sure that will be the right decision for Allie and for you both. Sending hugs. :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. What works for YOU better?

Hugs.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I've had to help more pets cross the Bridge than I would wish - (if only they lived exactly as long as we did :cry1) and if a home euthanasia had been an option at any time, I would have gladly chosen that. No matter how wonderful visits to the vet are (and sometimes they are), they are still stressful and different and have funny noises and lots of people and animals and commotion ... I think it would be lovely for your sweetie to cross quietly in her own home, on her own bed, with only her loved ones and her doctor with her :grouphug

Jennifer in sympathy

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

This is what I am thinking bout now. Snowman hates the vets he shakes so bad and it is a struggle to get him in the place. Unfortunatly my vet doesnt come to the house but there is a mobil vet who does. Only issue for me is the $. It will be bit over 400 with cremation. I am going to do what I can to let it be at home so his last moments are safe and happy ones. So I say if you can do it at home.

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest HHDesigns

I agree with home if you have a vet that will come. That is how we sent Mr. Threat to the bridge and it was so much better. He was in pain and I didn't have to worry about getting him in the car and transporting him, etc. The vet took him back to his office and the creamation people picked him up there.

I am so sorry...

Having to make that decision is tough. My Isis is almost 13, luckily she is still a bouncy active girl, but I know sometime that time will come. Isis loves to lay next to me at night so I plan on the vet coming here. At least she will be less stressed and laying next to Daddy in a comfortable and familiar surrounding

Edited by greg1229

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Having just gone through what you're going through now, just 2 weeks ago...if I had not had 7 others at home with me & Dear, I would have chosen for my vet to come here.

I choose not to cremate, I have a place they are laid to rest...and so going to my vet with Dear was easier & then transporting him to his final resting spot was done all in about an hour after his passing.

I think you are very brave, and I admire you for thinking of Allie first.

:beatheart

Guest greyaspet

When it was time for Mitzi to leave us I had a vet come to my home to let her pass, in my arms and on her bed. It also helped me because I could fall apart in my home which I did. All of my dogs if given a choice will go in their home where they are comfortable. I did help the vet take her out and put her in the van to be taken to be cremated.

Sheila

Guest jurygirl

Sorry you have to make this decision I know it's hard. :grouphug We had to make that same decision a few months back. Since Jury did not care for vet visits, we decided it was much better to have her comfortable at home in her bed. She was very sick at the time so there was no control issues-she just wanted to lay in her bed. Her vet then took her back to the office with a blanket in the back of her SUV for the cremation people to pick her up.

Guest MrsDooLittle

I'm so sorry for the heartache you're going through....

A few years ago, I had a vet come to my house to put my kitty Roxanne to sleep. A few months ago, I had to take my other kitty Uffda to the vet to have her put to sleep. I prefer the home option because I felt like it was so peaceful for Roxanne to not have to go anywhere first. My vet now does home visits and I so wish she had been doing them when it was time for Uffda to go to kitty heaven. Either way it's hard....but if I were the animal making the choice I would choose home....

I think your vet will be able to handle things or the option wouldn't be offered.

Cindy

Guest KennelMom

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this :grouphug It is never easy.

That said, if I had the choice (our vet doesn't offer 'at home' service) I would do it in a heartbeat. I'd pay a great deal of money to be able to say goodbye at home where my dogs are most comfortable.

When it was Pretty's time my vet came to the house. That helped me tremendously and I'm sure it helped Pretty be more relaxed. Vet visits where never her thing and she would pant & tremble terribly and I would of hated that to be the last thing she remembered. Instead she got to rest quietly on her bed with me (and Cody) by her side petting her sweet little head as she passed.

I'm so sorry for you, having to make this decision! :(

I have to say that, given the choice, I would much rather have the vet come to my pet's home. They are much more comfortable, and it's likely to be easier on them to do it this way.

And, if you have other pets, they will know. They will not be as likely to wonder "Where did she go?"

When Gunnar left us, we were able to do it in his favorite sunny spot in the living room. He went very peacefully, and that made it easier for us to deal with. Naples and Cooper *knew* he was gone, so they were able to grieve better.

With King-kitty, he was in DH's arms. Cooper walked to him, and buried his nose in King's tummy (soemthing he liked to do - kitty torture. It was fun to get King to squeak!). He then walked to me with a terribly confused, yet understanding look on his face, as if to say, "Mom! He's gone!" He simply *knew*, and was at peace right away. Besides that it was much easier in King, and DH and I...

Best of luck in whatever your decision. And again, I am so sorry!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

I'm so sorry you have to make this difficult choice. You sound more comfortable with doing it at home, which I would probably choose to if it's possible. I can't imagine your vet would offer if she didn't feel like it was a reasonable option.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

So sorry your are facing this, it is so painful. We had the vet come to our house in Aug. 2006, when we had to help our black lab cross. It was much less stressful, she was in a lot of pain, and it was difficult for her to get in the car. Like others have said, she was in her own home, on her own blankets, and we were holding her. We also were prepared to bury her in the back yard. Do what your heart tells you is the right decision, but if your vet can handle it, I vote for the home.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

I've never had the opportunity to do it at home, but if I did I would definitely choose that over taking them to the vets office.

Sorry to hear it's to the point where you have to make a decision.

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

Guest LolasMom

My heart goes out to you and your family during this difficult time. :grouphug

I have sent four of my fur babies to the bridge over the last few years and can say that I'm very grateful to have been able remain in the warmth and safety of their home when the time came.

Guest longdogs

We had the vet visit us for William and we were all in the garden with him. I believe it was much less stressful for him than driving him to the surgery and there were no problems for the vet. I know it is tough but you also need to talk to the vet about what happens after.

Guest BasilMom

We put our beloved Holly to rest at home this year the day after Thanksgiving. I knew this was how I wanted to see her leave us. My son did not want to see it but myself,husband and daughter stayed with her. It depends if there are children involved and their ability and age to understand and handle the situation. It was very peaceful. I did not want her to be under any stress. She had OS of the front shoulder and I knew it would be impossible to move her without adding to her pain. She left us on her favorite pillow and all the love she knew. The Vet who is a personal friend as well took a lot of time and explained the procedures step by step. He spent over an hour at our home, after it was over he took her back to the hospital for us. It was very peaceful and stress free. I myself could not do that final ride with her. Whatever your decision you will know what is right for you. So sorry for you at this difficult time.